Tricktape xenon

stale-bread

Registered
Hi, this is my first post, and BTW this is a great site.

I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere but...I have a 2005 Busa, and I purchased the Xenon headlight kit from Tricktape that pashnit recommended on his website. Now i'm hearing that these bulbs may damage my harness? Anyone install these and have issues? They are 9005 12v, 100 watt and the other isbio light, h7 12v 100watt. The sales guy on the phone said they wont cause any damage, but now in not sure. Any info would be appreciated.

Welcome -

I didn't see the Pashnit thread about the lights. He is a member here, try to PM him and ask.
He puts BUNCHES of miles on his Busa, can't imagine him steering you wrong on lights.
Though the HID light mod can't be beat IMO.

I'm not too sure on it, but since the stock halogen is only 55w, I'd be real careful and make sure all is good before throwing 45 more watts of heat into the headlight assembly. It might prove to be a very expensive experiment otherwise...

I'm sure ur correct. I was not implying that he would steer me wrong at all. He seems to have a lot of knowledge on the Busa. I just did not see if he had to modify the electrical to support the 200 watts of power draw.I will try to contact him for more info.

This site rocks!

yeah, could be you need a relay or something... I'd check with him. The biggest issue is heat I would think. I've heard where not the harness but the plug area getting too hot and melting in cars. Never heard of it here though
rock.gif
A number of us are just running HID lights so less watts and way more light
cool.gif

Not sure what you have invested in there but check the threads for HID group buys
cool.gif

cool.gif

I'd definitely upgrade the wiring to be safe and it can only help. I'd be weary about running 100w bulbs, I can see that melting the housings/harness. I opted for low beam HID, but I still upgraded the wiring to be safe for when they ignite. Plus I wired it such so my high beam wiring was upgraded two using the same relay.
smile.gif

I use those bulbs in my busa. The bulbs work fine. I've had to replace the highbeam bulb twice though because I was too lazy to take apart the assembly to install the bulb so I did it the lazy man way (remove right side fender and reach in and under to pull the bulb in and out etc) but what happened whas because I can't see what i'm doing i'd often bump the bulb along the edges when reaching in lol so I got gunk and stuff on the bulb.

The bulbs work good though. My first set lasted me about 8 months. Second high beam farted about 1 weeks later thanks to my mishaps.

No problems with melting or shorting or power draws etc. Busa still starts just fine. Also using the starter trick mentioned in one of the threads I keep the bulb off when starting anyway so all is well thus far.

Just a heads up. Ive worked in a dealership and ive seen many bikes that had 100w bulbs installed cuase premature failures of stators, wiring harness being fried and even the stator. Worst case secenrio is all 3 at the same time. Those high demand bulbs put A crazy amount of draw on your electrical system and sometimes the electrial system cannot keep up with the demand of teh power draw of the bulbs. Its not so bad on busas cause we only have one bulb on for lows. But on other bike like R1's that have both bulbs on at the same time and then 2 more for high beams is ridicilous Wattage Draw. There are legit companys out there that make The bluish white your looking for that run 55watts and also Put out more light out out than knock offs. Id recomend Piaas, though a litte on the expensive side, you wont have to worry about over working your electrical system. If you really want to have some serious lighting and run a safe setup, Run a hid kit. Hids kits have a lower power draw and run around 35wats as supposed to a factory bulb at 55 watts.

correction to my last post, I meant to say the stator, Wiring harness and regulator/rectifier

I heard from a few people that they caused their harness to melt. but personally ive used them in my cars before and never experienced any problems

i have the tricktape bulbs with about 8k miles, i wired the high beams on all the time so i coulc used the high beam switch for other purposes, never had a problem although i need to adjust the beam just never got around to it

I've had the blue xenon bulbs for 5 years now and no prob. Same bulbs too never replaced yet.

I also use this trick tape setup per Pashnits recomendation with no issues..
And they work killer..
super.gif

Invest in a HID setup, you won't be disappointed. You'll have more light out of your low beam than both of your Tricktape lights combined.

just a heads up, you can get a full HID kit for cheap and they are good from www. hid-sin.com really easy install on a car and i can only imagine its easier seeing how we only have one low beam. thye use less power and are like 3x's brighter then stock. this will be my next mod on the busa. already done a bunch for my friends on there cars. btw if u trust some people on here u should buy a single kit for a car and then split the bill. ull pau like 110 a pice for a full hid kit that is waterproof w/ free shipping.

Back