TRE question (that maybe has not been asked?)

chain

Registered
For those of you with Ivan's TRE ... I could care less about the increase in top speed.

What I am interested in, however, is Ivan's claim that the TRE nixes Suzuki's timing retardation in the lower gears, providing much more useable power and acceleration down low.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

Can anyone speak to this claim?

BS or true, in your experiences?

Also, does the TRE had an effect on the bike's ability to idle smoothly?

Thanks all...

from what i have read the TRE is only good for top speed and the low rpm stumble is all in the fuel mixture not timming. The TRE tricks your ecu to think its running in 5th gear all the time, the 5th gear map is richer because usually when your in 5th gear you are moving pretty fast and get the benifit of the ram air. TRE will make your bike richer in all gears thats why it may run smoother down low. The best way to fix the low end stumble without making 1-4th gear always richer is by getting a powercommander and a custom map made by a good tuner

I'm sure johnnycheese can confirm this

<!--EDIT|atticdog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111337530 -->

For those of you with Ivan's TRE ... I could care less about the increase in top speed.

What I am interested in, however, is Ivan's claim that the TRE nixes Suzuki's timing retardation in the lower gears, providing much more useable power and acceleration down low.

Thanks all...
Hi...I'm new here but have been around the OA circuts for quite a few years and became friends with Ivan when I saw how much heart and soul he poured into his Jet Kits for the CV carbs on FZ1's and ZRX's...I myself became somewhat of a well known tuner/installer and have had FZ1 owners from all over the state come to me for installation and tuning..but enough about that...as this is the first FI'ed bike I've personally owned but do trust in Ivan and called him immediately after purchasing my new-to-me '03 Busa last week and here's how Ivan explained it to me...

Yes..it de-restricts the 6th gear top-end but it also eliminates a factory oem neutering of the idle- approx. 1/2 open throttle positions in gears 1st-4th.

Now...as far as the retardation of 1-4 goes???...as I presume to understand why it is that suzuki would do this???...is the #1 reason most Jap imports come as such...to meet or beat EPA Regs...and in this case I'm assuming that the timing is retarded because the front end of the fuel map is probably waaaay lean (to meet epa regs) hence???...the timing must be retarded so as not to inflict too much heat build-up in the lower 1/2 of the throttle positions or gears 1-4....as ordering a TRE from Ivan was the first thing I did..but there's two types he sells.

The 1st is his "Original TRE" which just eliminates the offensive timimgretardation but should be used in conjunction with a Power Commander to address fuela mapping issues to correlate with the TRE's Ignition fix.

The other style of TRE Ivan have developed and sells is his newer "Smart TRE"....and as I understand the smart tre has a little pc board with it that enhances the fuel maooing as well and no PC is needed/required with the "Smart TRE" unit which of course costs a few bucks more.

Point being...the epa regs see the hayabusa "tuned for emmissions" where they give the beast very little AF mix to run on and hafta retard the timing to keep from overheating by retarding spark so it dosen't have TOO MUCH burn time on the small amount of AF mix that is injected..and still creates a "Lean Condition" to meet emmissions....and also suffers from the associated "RPM Surging" and "Choppy ON/OFF Throttle Response"...Ivans "Smart TRE" is supposed to cure that without necessitating purchase and use of a Power Commander.

We'll see...my new "Smart TRE" is supposed to be here in a few days...I'll even do a before and after dyno/ega but so far???...in almost 4 years of being somewhat associated with Ivan???...as a tuner and installer of his jet kits???...his performance claims and products have never failed me yet.

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif

Thanks all...
Hi...I'm new here but have been around the OA circuts for quite a few years and became friends with Ivan when I saw how much heart and soul he poured into his Jet Kits for the CV carbs on FZ1's and ZRX's...I myself became somewhat of a well known tuner/installer and have had FZ1 owners from all over the state come to me for installation and tuning..but enough about that...as this is the first FI'ed bike I've personally owned but do trust in Ivan and called him immediately after purchasing my new-to-me '03 Busa last week and here's how Ivan explained it to me...

Yes..it de-restricts the 6th gear top-end but it also eliminates a factory oem neutering of the idle- approx. 1/2 open throttle positions in gears 1st-4th.

Now...as far as the retardation of 1-4 goes???...as I presume to understand why it is that suzuki would do this???...is the #1 reason most Jap imports come as such...to meet or beat EPA Regs...and in this case I'm assuming that the timing is retarded because the front end of the fuel map is probably waaaay lean (to meet epa regs) hence???...the timing must be retarded so as not to inflict too much heat build-up in the lower 1/2 of the throttle positions or gears 1-4....as ordering a TRE from Ivan was the first thing I did..but there's two types he sells.

The 1st is his "Original TRE" which just eliminates the offensive timimgretardation but should be used in conjunction with a Power Commander to address fuela mapping issues to correlate with the TRE's Ignition fix.

The other style of TRE Ivan have developed and sells is his newer "Smart TRE"....and as I understand the smart tre has a little pc board with it that enhances the fuel maooing as well and no PC is needed/required with the "Smart TRE" unit which of course costs a few bucks more.

Point being...the epa regs see the hayabusa "tuned for emmissions" where they give the beast very little AF mix to run on and hafta retard the timing to keep from overheating by retarding spark so it dosen't have TOO MUCH burn time on the small amount of AF mix that is injected..and still creates a "Lean Condition" to meet emmissions....and also suffers from the associated "RPM Surging" and "Choppy ON/OFF Throttle Response"...Ivans "Smart TRE" is supposed to cure that without necessitating purchase and use of a Power Commander.

We'll see...my new "Smart TRE" is supposed to be here in a few days...I'll even do a before and after dyno/ega but so far???...in almost 4 years of being somewhat associated with Ivan???...as a tuner and installer of his jet kits???...his performance claims and products have never failed me yet.

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif
you are close but so wrong atticdog has it right.
no need for a tre PERIOD

Thanks all...

L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif
you are close but so wrong atticdog has it right.
no need for a tre PERIOD
And now I better understand why Ivan had to state...

"I have never seen so many differing opinions about how this little, inexpensive device operates and affects your bike!! So, I have decided to address some of the functions and try to clarify it's use."

on his website.

L8R, Bill.  
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: "Poor use of smilies. LOL!!!!"|1111341183 -->

I am running a TRE(cheap one from ebay 24 bucks) with PCIII USB, w/Johnnycheese basic map in my 2000 Busa and it totally ROCKS!!!!!!! Runs fabulous down low and throughout....I have not dynoed it but I do not feel the need to do it...Fuel milage is good also..

Yeah...I don't get it Lloyd cause as far as I understand???..Ivans "ORIGINAL" TRE ran the 5th gear air/fuel map everywhere and like has been mentioned above the 5th gear ram-air affect fuel mapping is a tad rich for gears 1-4 and that's what the new "SMART TRE" is supposed to correct...the rich 5th gear fuel map that's no longer used with the "Smart TRE"....heck..articulating thoughts on the net can get confusing so....I'll just wait for my new Smart TRE to arrive then plug it into my bone stocker and do a before and after dyno/ega.

These guys have been at it much longer than I have but I think the confusion is coming in between the original and "smart" TRE's.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Thanks for the replies guys, interesting stuff.

Cheese, you're too darn far away from me, otherwise I'd simply bring my bike to you, pony up the bucks, and have you tune it with a Power Commander.

sad.gif

Johnnycheese how are the results to a custom map with the TRE installed on a 01 busa with a pcII?
Im gonna be having DaveO map my bike and just wondering if i should have it done with the TRE or without if it ends up with the same result id like to have it there just in case i need it

now see here...johnny cheeseburger...

get the fug over to technical an' fix my fuggin' bike.

We spoke on the phone, a while back, yer a knowledgeable bastid...

now get over there an' fix my bike.

open to suggestions on my 'lectrical problem...

any idea's will be gladly accepted....

thx man. RSD.

now see here...johnny cheeseburger...

get the fug over to technical an' fix my fuggin' bike.

We spoke on the phone, a while back, yer a knowledgeable bastid...

now get over there an' fix my bike.

open to suggestions on my 'lectrical problem...

any idea's will be gladly accepted....

thx man.      RSD.
laugh.gif

As always, Rubbah is quite the diplomat! Hehe....

True or false? - A Power Commander will eliminate the top-end restriction, without the aid of a TRE.

Back