Trailer delima

dolilind

Registered
I HAVE to get a new trailer. Now having 3 bikes and only a 4x8 flat bed to haul them on is a problem.

Problem 1 my truck is a 07 silverado with a 4.8 and a 3.23 rear (didnt relize i needed bigger when i got it). Max tow cap is 5200 pounds. 7x16 trailer im looking at is over 2500lbs. when loaded with bikes and gear im pushing the 5000 mark.
7x16 is good size and leaves room for camping if needed, and gear plus bike 4 if needed, also is in stock. and is $4500 out the door.
Should i got smaller? 7x14 only drops 150-200lbs. dropping the 3rd tounge beam drops and lower roof line drops another 100-125lbs. 7x12 will drop another 300 off the bottom line. plus more then 1500 off the price, but lose take all the bikes.

If im down to taking only 2 bikes, would it be worth just dropping down to a 6x12? saves weight and is $2500 out the door? Is that enuff room for 2 busas?

I used to pull a 7X16 v nose that was 19.6 feet long with the extension on the v. I pulled it with a Dodge Ram 1500.

Then again, I do drive a Dodge - :whistle: :laugh: I had no worries about towing.

You will be fine.

the weight is not an issue. The weight limits are very conservative. I've far exceded those many many times with never any issue. And your still inside the limit so def. not a prob.

However now your left with money and room. 6x anything seems real tight. I'd go with at least 7x ?. I really think in the future you'd be disapointed you didnt go with the 7'. JMHO:beerchug:

PS I'm gonna be putting your registration in the mail:thumbsup:

Just don't use the overdrive when you're towing and you'll probably be fine with the bigger trailer. I don't think you're going to hit 5500 pounds anyway.

2500# trailer
4 bikes at average 500# ea = 2000
Add 1000# of gear and you're finally at 5500#

Just thinking out loud. Unless you're hauling a bunch of BIG cruisers.

--Wag--

i have a similar truck and i have exceeded it a few times. my boat doesn't exceed the limit, but is pretty heavy when it is all loaded down. i also have some foose 22" chrome wheels which are a lot heavier than stocks. i was worried so i put a transmission cooler on for about 125 bucks. i have never had a problem but then again, i guess it depends on how often you plan on exceeding the recommended limit.

ordered one today. 7x14 v-nose with 36"v. giving me about 16.5 inside length. That should be good, plus getting RV windows and couple other goodies. Plus will be built before the spring busa bash. Just one more trailer to add the the TRAILER BASH..

Back