Centering bike front to back?

Registered
How do I know the perfect balance? Granted, there is not a ton of room to work with on my HF 4x8 trailer but I'd like to mount my front chock only once. I plan on only hauling my Busa.

Do I want more weight on the tongue or over the wheels?

I have built lots of trailers (see pic of my last one) and the rule of thumb is 2/3 back (of the box) is the axle, so lots of weight on the tongue.

Trailer.JPG

Last edited:
A lot of tongue weight there :whistle:

That's the idea.
That's how they are supposed to be.
Look at all of the pics below or any other well made trailer, the wheels are 2/3of the way back of the cargo area - not including hitch.
I have tracked that trailer of mine with 3000 pounds on it at 80 mph and you don't even know it is there.
The test is in hard braking - no sway or wanting to jump out in front.
If it pulls the suspension down on the vehicle you can always use stabilizer bars on the hitch.

trailers.jpg

60% of the load ahead of the axle-40% rear of it...with 10% of the total trailer weight (max) for the tongue weight.

Hey 1299:

Load it whichever way you like.
If it bounces the rear of the tow vehicle up and down (rear feels light), or sways when you get up to speed or brake, or sways when a truck goes by the other way, move more weight onto the tongue.
Good Luck!
Happy trip!

As someone who misloaded a trailer before I will say that it could be dangerous at speed when a trailer starts to sway. I made the mistake with one of those rented uhaul trailers and had like 75 - 80 percent of the weight in back. On the trip back from Orlando to Gainesville Florida the trailer would get very erratic at speeds above 40 or so. Not fun to say the least.

As someone who misloaded a trailer before I will say that it could be dangerous at speed when a trailer starts to sway. I made the mistake with one of those rented uhaul trailers and had like 75 - 80 percent of the weight in back. On the trip back from Orlando to Gainesville Florida the trailer would get very erratic at speeds above 40 or so. Not fun to say the least.

Putting too much weight in the front can also cause problems.

Your trailer will come with a recommended tongue weight rating when full loaded. Simple mathematics will allow you to calculate what the busa weight is in comparison to the trailer load capacity. Once you have a percentage of the bike to trailer load capacity, you can load the busa in the trailer and with a scale under the tongue you can move the bike back and fourth until you find the position in the trailer that gives you the calculated tongue weight.

If you don't want to go through all that work, you can load your bike in the trailer and if you are still able to lift the tongue but not to the point of having the trailer fall back on its tail, you are close enough to consider it balanced for hauling.

I have set up and run trailers both ways for over 20 years and have never had a trailer load fail me. The main point...do not exceed the tongue load that the trailer is rated at. Doing so can potentially put you in excess of the material strength of the trailer.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Your trailer will come with a recommended tongue weight rating when full loaded. Simple mathematics will allow you to calculate what the busa weight is in comparison to the trailer load capacity. Once you have a percentage of the bike to trailer load capacity, you can load the busa in the trailer and with a scale under the tongue you can move the bike back and fourth until you find the position in the trailer that gives you the calculated tongue weight.

If you don't want to go through all that work, you can load your bike in the trailer and if you are still able to lift the tongue but not to the point of having the trailer fall back on its tail, you are close enough to consider it balanced for hauling.

I have set up and run trailers both ways for over 20 years and have never had a trailer load fail me. The main point...do not exceed the tongue load that the trailer is rated at. Doing so can potentially put you in excess of the material strength of the trailer.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

I agree.
If your trailer has a max tongue weight do not go beyond that.
The vehicle towing the trailer has some input also.
If you overload the rear of the vehicle (with too heavy a tongue) and it is a light vehicle it can affect the steering.
There are some pretty big trailers being towed by HD pickups, and if they have the right hitch, they can take a large tongue weight.

10,000 lb trailer and my F350

Attachments

• post-8-47420-Superduty1.bmp
    791.1 KB · Views: 300
Back