Trackday virgin no more!! Nashville 18 April (pics)

Thought you did a great job. Seen that knee touch down a few times.. I hated to see that you were the only busa there. That was alittle dissappointing. You lucked out as I could'nt fit my camera in the hump. Took my bottle to get'r' filled up the road from the track for my tune this week. You probably did'nt notice me as I was in the first turns behind the flag guy. My busa was behind the huge tires behind his chair, other side of fence...lol Seen that guy take his spill, went over the top of his handle bars. Think he panicked more than anything and locked the front up.
What was with the guy on the dirt bike all about in the advance class?
:laugh:

Wanted to come and introduce myself but could'nt figure out how to get back to the covered area. Had it all fenced off and did'nt want to leave the only "other" busa there unattended. Looked like allot of fun though. Definately got allot of work to do before I could take part in such a feet.

I won't tell anyone about the dirt bike passing ya.... :whistle:

(I'm kidding of coarse)
:laugh:

Again, great job!!

Last edited:
WELCOME TO AN ADDICTION THAT IS MUCCCCHHHH WORSE THAN CRACK!!! Good to see you get hooked! The faster you wanna get, the faster it'll drain the bank account. Don't ask me how I know. :beerchug::thumbsup: (or you can if you want. I'll gladly supply specifics).

Welcome to track crack...

I would recommend not using the rear brake at all. For most riders it will get you into more trouble.

As for raising the rear, you will find most raise the rear 1" (shorter dog bones). It will help the bike turn in a little better as well. I used Soupy adjustable links and they are pretty stout.

The rear tire looks real nice as well... :thumbsup:

I was lucky enough to choose a slot beside a really nice couple, the husband was running in the intermediate group. They provided a lot of good advice, helped my unplug my headlight, ziptie the passenger pegs, and tape my wheel weights (not mentioned in the STT FAQ).

Well STT does have the track prep information on their website
here --> Sportbike Track Time - Get on the right track !! 419-822-0350

Bike Preparation
1) All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike DOES NOT pass tech inspection, you will NOT receive a refund.
2) Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 75% of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. Slicks are allowed in 85% plus condition. We will have on site tire service at each track day, so if your tires don't pass, you will have the opportunity to put on replacement tires to pass tech.
3) All glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed. Side mirrors must be removed for the advanced group and at least taped over for all other groups.
4) We recommend, but do not require removal of center stands. No bikes with center stands will be allowed in the Advanced/Racer Group due to the ground clearance issue.
5) All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
6) Advanced and Intermediate group riders MUST use water or water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. NO AUTOMOTIVE ETHYL GLYCOL BASED COOLANTS ARE ALLOWED.
7) All valve stems must have caps.
8) Wheel balance weights must be well-secured.
9) License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.
10) Added for 2009 season: Advanced riders are required to safety wire drain plugs and oil fil caps if possible. Minimum requirement is RTV silicone on both. We highly suggest securing the oil filter as well. NOTE: If you spill oil on the track your day is over.

Rider Gear Requirements (No, shorts and flip flops won't cut it....)
1) Damage free BSI, DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield.
2) Riding boots that fully cover the ankle.
3) Gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage.
4) One or two piece leathers. Two piece leather suits must zip together for Novice, Intermediate or Advanced groups. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are acceptable in the Novice and Intermediate Group only provided they are either one piece or two piece that zip together with 50% zipper contact, reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas. No chaps.

Advanced and Intermediate group riders ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR A BACK PROTECTOR. Soft back pads sewn into suits are not enough. We sell Bohn back protectors at special STT member discounts. We can arrange to deliver your new back protector to you the day of your event or ship it to you home. We will have a limited number (6-10 per event) of back protectors for rent. No back protector = no track time!!!

Did you happen to get the name of the couple you pitted with? Was he on a Duc?

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Sky, once Brandena and tufbusa get done with me at the Bash I might get to the track too, awesome write up thanks for takin us along on this venture, look forward to seeing you in a few days bro:thumbsup::bowdown::bowdown:

I have the dog bones that raise the back 1". It did put me on my toes on the street and made it harder to backup. The bike would corner great though. The adjustable dogbones would be a good way to raise your bike for the track. You could just change it back to stock setting for the street. A 190-55 profile tire would raise the bike a little also. A spare set of wheels with track tires would be a good option also.

Red, sorry I didn't see you, shame you didn't come by and say hi. Yeah, that guy on that Motard was crazy.

Powers, now I understand the talk about the Soupy's links...that way, you can adjust for trackday, and then adjust back for regular street riding without compromising on either. Thanks for the advice. Also, I read the complete FAQ that you posted (I'd printed it and took it with me); wish they'd edit that to include "If you have a headlight, you'd be best off to unplug it", "you must zip-tie or remove any passenger pegs" and "you must tape over any wheel weights"...but, they are oriented towards people who are riding track bikes, not us 'virgins'. Guy I was pitted next to was Terry Boxx, wife Becca; Gixxer. His rear shock went to crap about midday and didn't get to ride any more; he went out and took a few pics and is going to email me. Yeah, I knew to stay off that back brake, but it's a habit I'll need to break for the track. I still don't know how far my front brake can go.

Heading for the Bash tomorrow evening!!

Sounds like you had a great time. Maybe by the end of this summer or beginning of fall I'll be able to lose my track V. :laugh: I will have the same goals, LOL. :thumbsup:

Congrats on enjoying your first track day. Great write-up and read. Had my first track experience last fall at VIR as a student in the Keith Code course on their ZX-6R, but I look forward to taking my Hayabusa to a track as soon as I can get the time and money together.

Again, well done and thanks for detailing your experience!

Those are the links I was talking about...

DSC03969.jpg

Powers, doesn't a shorter length lower your rear instead of raise it? Do you only need one?

It's great to hear more people getting interested in the track!!! Sounds like you are well on your way. Here's my two cents:

1.Approach a control rider/intructor and ask if he/she would follow you around and give you some input.

2.Maybe slow down a bit and work on technique and good lines through turns. Pucker moments should only happen once every few track days.

3.I've never raised the rear on my bike. When my pegs touch down, that's about the most lean angle I'm comfortable with. With good body position, your knee should touch down WAY before the pegs do.

Here's some pics of yours truly with some stuff Tuf taught me:

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/busacop.jpg Look through the turn until helmet hits inside shoulder. This guy is a real CHP and faster than fook.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/MF1A6529.jpg Chest on gas tank, then slide off even lower. Balls of feet on pegs.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/gsxrltth.jpg Elbow on knee; head even with rear view mirror. Relax grip on handle bars.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/MF1A7060.jpg Think: "I am a frog...belly down, knees out"

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/gsxrrtth.jpg Head below outside hand; use grass edge in background as horizontal reference.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/IR6X1318.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/MF1A6951.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/IR6X1519.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/IR6X0434.jpg

Post some pics of you in action!!!

GREAT PICS Gregbob, I know I didn't have my head down as far, nor my elbow on my knee. Hoping for some action shots soon so I have something to compare with. I did have an instructor follow me some, and I followed him some. Notice your outside arm is still bent; i kept hearing the instructors say to straighten that arm and lay it on the tank. I can see if you put your cheek on the tank that you could at least lay your arm on it. Gonna have to try that .. Thanks again!

Back