trackday junkies.....

OZZY

DOIN' WORK...
Donating Member
Registered
ok so i know most use the blue painters tape to cover heqadlights and signals, etc... but i have seen people also using black tape as well. where did u all locate the black masking tape/painters tape?? i will use blue if i have too but i prefer the black tape. any info would be GREATLY appreciated as i am doing my first trackday at the end of june at Mid Ohio.

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the addiction. I just used painters tape. I can't remember what the guys were using for other colors. I think it was some kind of athletic tape. I'm sure one of them will chime in.

how does the color of tape affect your day? ? ?
biggrin.gif

After putting on the blue tape, you can put any color you want over it. but I hope you have more important things to focus on that day than being color coordinated
smile.gif

The drag coefficient is much lower when using Blue tape vs any other color. You should just stick with that.
winkold.gif

We need some pictures...

DSC05106.jpg

Black duct tape over the blue tape. I also use Honda Polish on the lens just prior to applying the tape. Makes it real easy to come off.

I pull the fuses for the front head lights. Then I pull the wires from the switches for the brakes. If you pull the fuses for the brakes you will lose gauge cluster instrumentation.

I also like to use the red duct tape on the tail light just for looks...

the type of tape really doesnt matter, i just like the way the black tape looks with my color scheme... i never thought about athletic tape, so maybe i will jsut go that route.

and yes powers, i will be purchasing some mirror block off plates to use as well.

Make sure you use a under coat of the blue painters tape or you will be like bevis pullen the sticky off from duc tape...

ok so i know most use the blue painters tape to cover heqadlights and signals, etc... but i have seen people also using black tape as well. where did u all locate the black masking tape/painters tape?? i will use blue if i have too but i prefer the black tape. any info would be GREATLY appreciated as i am doing my first trackday at the end of june at Mid Ohio.
Get ready to spend more money on your new found addiction.

Put black over the painters tape as already mentioned.

Not really trying to hijack, but man I want to do a track day. After my trip the the dragon saturday, I think I'm surely cut out for it, it's just a matter of opportunity, education, and taking the leap. What should I do to try and get my first track day in? (I have no idea where to get started.) I'm in Clarksville, TN, near Nashville. Barber's 4hrs away, so that'd be nice. Nashville speedway's close, but I'm not sure if they have a motorcycle track or not. Any input?

Not really trying to hijack, but man I want to do a track day.  After my trip the the dragon saturday, I think I'm surely cut out for it, it's just a matter of opportunity, education, and taking the leap.  What should I do to try and get my first track day in?  (I have no idea where to get started.)  I'm in Clarksville, TN, near Nashville.  Barber's 4hrs away, so that'd be nice.  Nashville speedway's close, but I'm not sure if they have a motorcycle track or not.   Any input?
Look into Sportbike Track Time (STT) they have a great Novice program. THey will teach you everything you need to know from start to finish. By the end of the day, you will have your knee down.

Barber is a beautiful place to learn...

Painter's tape is great because it generally comes off clean, or at least cleaner than masking tape.

Just do what the other's suggest, blue under and black on top.

But that will add a few ounces to your bikes weight
laugh.gif

super.gif
PM -->
ericyow @ Jun. 02 2008 said:
1436445[/ATTACH] PM]
Not really trying to hijack, but man I want to do a track day.  After my trip the the dragon saturday, I think I'm surely cut out for it, it's just a matter of opportunity, education, and taking the leap.  What should I do to try and get my first track day in?  (I have no idea where to get started.)  I'm in Clarksville, TN, near Nashville.  Barber's 4hrs away, so that'd be nice.  Nashville speedway's close, but I'm not sure if they have a motorcycle track or not.   Any input?
Look into Sportbike Track Time (STT) they have a great Novice program.  THey will teach you everything you need to know from start to finish.  By the end of the day, you will have your knee down.

Barber is a beautiful place to learn...
You can also pick up a copy of Road Racing World's Trackday Directory Edition.

That magazine has everything you need to know including track locations and trackday companies that put it together.

super.gif

naw, you don't wanna do a track day. They are BORING! No trees near the track to tell how fast you are going. Other racers are much better than you and pass you like you have no skillz. Tires wear out in a day. Bouncing off the limiter in 4 out of 6 gears gets old quick. The track will wear you out, lift you up, drop you down, take your money, kiss your girlfriend, eat your last potato chip, and nothing compares to it. The Dragon to track is like comparing a GoKart to F1 racing

Hey Ted...... wazza big idea posting those pics.... just make the rest of us jealous right? %*%$((@

how does the color of tape affect your day? ? ?  
biggrin.gif

After putting on the blue tape, you can put any color you want over it.  but I hope you have more important things to focus on that day than being color coordinated  
smile.gif
There are photographers at the track. Youse gotsta look good. Just think how much better this would have looked if I had used white and yellow tape.

258o2204_Cropped__Medium_.jpg

We need some pictures...

<a href="http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/Powers739/Barber/March%2017%202007/?action=view¤t=DSC05106.jpg" target="_blank">
DSC05106.jpg

Black duct tape over the blue tape.  I also use Honda Polish on the lens just prior to applying the tape.  Makes it real easy to come off.

I pull the fuses for the front head lights. Then I pull the wires from the switches for the brakes.  If you pull  the fuses for the brakes you will lose gauge cluster instrumentation.  

I also like to use the red duct tape on the tail light just for looks...
+1

The Gixx in my avatar has blue painters as the 1st layer, then red duct tape over it. DO NOT EVER PUT DUCT TAPE DIRECTLY ONTO THE LIGHTS! Not only is it difficult to remove, you'll leave a sticky mess on the lamps and you might pull out the tail lights with duct tape too.

or.....

you can do what I did...But some fiberglass race bodywork, paint it yourself w/aircompressor and HVLP gun (or just rattlecan the sucker), and never worry about tape again!!

Not really trying to hijack, but man I want to do a track day. After my trip the the dragon saturday, I think I'm surely cut out for it, it's just a matter of opportunity, education, and taking the leap. What should I do to try and get my first track day in? (I have no idea where to get started.) I'm in Clarksville, TN, near Nashville. Barber's 4hrs away, so that'd be nice. Nashville speedway's close, but I'm not sure if they have a motorcycle track or not. Any input?
STT has trackdays at the Nashville Speedway. I would recommend Barber though. I live in Paris 50 miles west of you.I am really needing another trackday fix. Send me a PM I might be interested in a Barber trackday and I can help you out with all the info.

There's tape just that call "Racer's tape". I think Summit and Jeg's sells it. It sticks but with no gooey residue left by most Duct tape.

Back