track day question

GSXcite

Squirrel Master
Donating Member
Registered
Going to do a track day tomorrow at heartland park Topeka, Ks. I need to tape off the headlight, turn signals and mirrors. What type of tape have you guys been using? I have some black duct type tape but I wondering if it will leave tape residue that will be hard to remove when I take the tape off. I have seen the blue masking tape used, but I would like to put the black on my bike as it will match better, and I have seen masking tape after it got wet and it was almost impossiable to get off and there is a chance of rain for the event. Do you think the duct tape will be OK?

It should be alright. Think maybe there's some kind of painter's tape that is used but it's the blue stuff. Goo Gone or lighter fluid will take any tape residue off. One thing I've always heard to do is to pull the headlight fuse, to avoid any chance of heat cooking the tape on from the heat of the bulb. Don't know if this is a nessessity with a Busa as the lens is so far away from the headlight bulb.
Have fun, a couple of friends of mine from the LBS (Performance Cycle, you may see the truck there) will be there too.

PS.. Might just take the mirrors off, you'll be there on the left one when/if you pull the headlight fuse.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. I'm going to pull the fuse just in case. I think the guy from my shop that is going with me knows your friends. Hope the weather holds out as I'm looking forward to this.:thumbsup:

I used colored duct tape right on the lights. I had no problem removing it without it leaving residue. I have the lights disabled and mirrors removed on the track.

I used colored duct tape right on the lights. I had no problem removing it without it leaving residue. I have the lights disabled and mirrors removed on the track.

Thanks Dennis. I'm getting ready to go out in the garage and tape her up right now!:thumbsup:

Use the BLUE PAINTERS TAPE, then put whatever color you want on top of it.

remove the mirrors. it's easy and seems more fun on the track without them sticking out

remove the mirrors. it's easy and seems more fun on the track without them sticking out

I went ahead and took off the mirrors Greg. I put a good coat of honda polish on everything before I taped it, so I'm hoping it will come off easy. Now I might have to put honda polish or lard on me to get in my leathers!:laugh:

Have fun! Remember, look farther ahead as the pace increases. WOOHOO!

That's what I usually do, that way it comes off real easy. Sure it take a little longer to tape it up, but it's a lot faster on the tail end.

Enjoy and be safe...

DSC05106.jpg

No problems with the colored duct tape, and with care can be removed in a single sheet. I'm planned to put this on a headlight cover so I can put it on and take it off. I don't want to have to buy numbers every trackday.

IMG_1772 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1773 (Medium).JPG

I went ahead and took off the mirrors Greg. I put a good coat of honda polish on everything before I taped it, so I'm hoping it will come off easy. Now I might have to put honda polish or lard on me to get in my leathers!:laugh:

Do you have mirrir blockoffs? If not, zip tie the fairing to the stay through the bolt holes.

Do you have mirrir blockoffs? If not, zip tie the fairing to the stay through the bolt holes.

....Or use the mirror bolts and place a rubber washer under the head of the bolt - between the bolt head and the fairing.

I used White Duct Tape so it matched my bike and pulled the headlight fuse. No issues with glue or residue when I pulled the tape later. A bit of WD-40 or goof off cleans it right up. The white tape made it look like I had race plastics in the photos. LOL!

HAVE FUN... It's ADDICTING!!!! :beerchug:
34xncpj.jpg

Last edited:
Probably already on your way, Hal, but hope you used the painter's tape. Enjoy the day.

YeP, you already are probably there. Hope you pulled the fuse for your lights so the tape doesnt bake on. I'm sure you had a blast. keep us posted.

Well, just got back from the track. It was a blast! Lots of fun when you don't have to worry about someone pulling out in front of you or getting a ticket. I seemed to get lots of help from the guys on 750's and 1000's, and was told by several I would want to hang back and stay out of the way because busas cant turn. I hope I didn't offend them when I blew by them on the long front stretch!:laugh: After two sessions, it started to rain. I did one last session in the rain and strange enough, I enjoyed it very much and I was one of the faster riders out there as I ride in the rain all the time. I'll tell you this, riding on a wet track will make you learn the racing line and teach you how to be smooth. Lets see, drag racing last weekend, track day on a road course this week, I hope AARP doesn't want to pull my AARP card!:thumbsup: By the way, even though the tape got wet, it came right off with no tape residue on the headlight and signals.

Last edited:
glad you had a great time bro...did you get any pics?

oh, and i think your AARP card is pretty secure :whistle: :rofl:

Glad you had a good time, Hal! More glad you were able to show them a thing or 2 about what it means to ride a Busa! :thumbsup: Most of all glad you made it back safely!

Back