Track day today - what a rush.

Show those tire pics to the fools who have never come close to a busa but say you can't ride them hard! This punk told me that a few weeks ago.I asked if he had ever rode one and he said NO. His bike looked like it had been dropped about10 times.

I did a couple track days (back in the day) in my ZX-7RR, but I didn't even consider taking the Busa out on one...I was actually going to buy a GSXR 750, or used Ducati for the track.  How was the Busa?  Maybe I won't get another bike after all...
BTW, track days are AWESOME!!! You get the biggest rush, and you actually get a lot of opportunity to better your skills, which in turn makes you a better rider on the street.
I took the 'busa because a) I don't have the luxury of having 2 bikes, and b) I wanted to become a better street rider on the 'busa... It wouldn't be my first choice for the track but it's what I have. Most of the bikes there were 500-750 cc's and they were tossing them around pretty sweetly.

The 'busa is a beast to throw around (I'm not a big guy), but I could reel 'em all in on the straightaways!!
biggrin.gif
I actually couldn't believe how far over the 'busa will lean if you let it. It shocked the heck out of me when I saw my tires, and I am not an agressive rider by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd say if you're going to make track days on a fairly regular basis or if you have some disposable income your itching to dispose of, you'd want to get something more nimble, but for once or twice a year to have some fun without having to worry about obstacles, the 'busa is fine. That's my .02

Show those tire pics to the fools who have never come close to a busa but say you can't ride them hard! This punk told me that a few weeks ago.I asked if he had ever rode one and he said NO. His bike looked like it had been dropped about10 times.
for sure you can ride them hard.. i choose not to because of the expense in fixing it up!
biggrin.gif
LOTS of others ride harder than i do, without a doubt, but i still have fun... and i'm not ashamed to be someone who doesn't go flat out all the time... i'm too old to feel like i have to impress anyone.

Haywood be careful grasshopper for I too took the busa to the track one day and became hooked and a few months later off racing. It’s very addicting!!

IMG_6487.JPG

Haywood be careful grasshopper for I too took the busa to the track one day and became hooked and a few months later off racing.  It’s very addicting!!
Very cool! I would love to do that! A track bike would be cool to own - something I could push a little harder without too much worrying about the outcome.

Haywood be careful grasshopper for I too took the busa to the track one day and became hooked and a few months later off racing. It’s very addicting!!
Very cool! I would love to do that! A track bike would be cool to own - something I could push a little harder without too much worrying about the outcome.
I wouldn't say that.

A local fast rider went down at the local track on a 1000 RR. Not an official account, but he had a tank slapper on a turn which he recovered from, then when he went for the brakes on the next turn, he didn't have any brakes. He thinks the tank slapper pushed his brake pads back, causing brake failure. He went off the track at 90 mph with the result being 5 broken ribs, a broken collarbone, and other assorted injuries. His bike is all screwed up too.

I want to do a track school, but not on the Busa.

This was at the Thunder Hill track on 7/4.

Hey Guys,

I just bought a new 04 Black/Blue 2 weeks ago. With the purchase of the bike from the dealer here in Calgary I was signed up for the track day but could not weasle out of work,
sad.gif
A little cheesed about that, but sounds like you had a blast Haywood. Wish I could have gone. Great board guys, Great information on here.

CB

a friend of mine was at that track day from suzuki and said two busas went down that day, one was cause he got cocky cause someone on a smaller bike past him at the beginning of the long staight before turn one so he opened it up to show whos boss and went passed the turn and the bike flipped over and over finally crasshing down on the tank. Totally destroying the bike.
He was wearing draggin jeans and came out ok, but bike was a write off.

I plan on letting everyone pass me on my busa track days. I also want to stick a red/orange Slow Moving Vehicle sign on my back for the fun of it. The busa is a great bike but not the best track bike in stock form, and I have nothing to prove to anyone. So, it's all about ME having MY fun on my bike and enjoying the track experience with my busa! If you track your busa, either mod the crap out of it, or enjoy it as is at a less than champion pace. And it IS A REALLY GOOD TIME THAT WAY!

a friend of mine was at that track day from suzuki and said two busas went down that day, one was cause he got cocky cause someone on a smaller bike past him at the beginning of the long staight before turn one so he opened it up to show whos boss and went passed the turn and the bike flipped over and over finally crasshing down on the tank. Totally destroying the bike.
He was wearing draggin jeans and came out ok, but bike was a write off.
that crash was earlier this season.. I heard that story too. I understand that he'd had the bike 2 months before wrecking it...

So, it's all about ME having MY fun on my bike and enjoying the track experience with my busa!  If you track your busa, either mod the crap out of it, or enjoy it as is at a less than champion pace.  And it IS A REALLY GOOD TIME THAT WAY!
WWJD:  couldn't agree more!  I've nothing to prove to anyone, and I didn't try to. I rode at my pace and within my comfort zone as usual, and the instructors were great about this, always reinforcing that everyone do this.  I think the two crashes were caused by guys just pushing themselves a little too hard (I know the first guy to crash would only do 2 laps with the 'slower' group to scrub in his tires, then he was offended when someone suggested he continue with the same group for a while.. next time out, with the faster group, he went down and hard - wrecked plastics, wrecked akropovic cf slip on his wife had just bought him, and a very sore shoulder from hitting the concrete with it).

Back