Track day today - what a rush.

Haywood

Registered
I've ridden for some years and I have never been to a track day.. that is until today!  Holy, what a rush.. Now I'm no Rossi or anything and I sure wasn't the quickest guy around the track, but I would HIGHLY recommend a track day to anyone who hasn't done one.  

The day started out overcast and cool.  But by noon or so, the sun was out and it was quite warm.  There were a couple of professional racers there to give tips and help us out with technique and such.  Let me tell you, you haven't seen anyone ride until you've followed (or tried to follow) one of these guys around a track!  Unbelievably quick and in control!

Unfortunately the layout of the track isn't conducive to getting corner shots and all the people there were there for the track day so I only have shots of my rear tire after the day was over.  I have never leaned my bike over as far as I did today.. I've read that the 'busa will lean like crazy and I can tell you this is true!

Anyway, the photos aren't great but I wanted to share my story and recommendation to attend a track day if you are able.. you won't regret it.

This is a new Bridgestone BT56 with a little over 1000 kilometers (600 miles) on it.  It stuck very well to the track, but I did fish tail it once (too much rear brake)!

rear_1.jpg

+1 on track days.

That's my 3rd season, and just had 2nd track day on the 'Busa. What a ride!

very cool... I gotta get signed up for one soon

Very fun Pete ! Sean and I were thinkin that would be a great idea. What are the costs and track and class times? sj

Preah it, brother Haywood, preach it! It's true - everyone should try it once. Yeah, it seems pricey, but afterwords, the joy per dollar ratio is amazing!
The busa has a rear brake? ? ;)

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089082302 -->

very cool... I gotta get signed up for one soon
if you have a track nearby, do it.. you won't regret it. we had 2 people crash.. one hadn't scrubbed his new tires in and pushed it too hard. the other ran off the track into the wet grass and slid.. both were ok and were given the green light by the ambulance attendants.

Very fun Pete !  Sean and I were thinkin that would be a great idea.  What are the costs and track and class times?  sj
gsteve: this was an all day affair, for $100.. can't beat that.. they have an ambulance on sight, a track official, and 'spotters' at strategic places around the track. plus, they had 4 instructors, and the racers to help with technique... i'd do it again, for sure.

but it might be a waste for you guys.. there are corners on the track, and you don't have them in saskatchewan, do you?! j/k dude! j/k..
biggrin.gif

totally worth it.

Preah it, brother Haywood, preach it!  It's true - everyone should try it once.   Yeah, it seems pricey, but afterwords, the joy per dollar ratio is amazing!
The busa has a rear brake? ?    ;)
oh i'm preachin', wwjd!! all day for $100 did seem pricey at first, cough, cough, but you're right, the joy/dollar is totally amazing!

ya, the 'busa has a rear brake, and i grabbed too much of it heading into the corner.. scared the beejesus out of me too!
biggrin.gif

OH FUG.....you guys are makin me sooooo jealous!!!! I've been telling the wife about the track days and such, but she's scared of it. I tell her that the track is THE ONLY place that you should be pushin a bike hard...and if anything happens to you, there's medical peeps there to help you out on the spot.

She still thinks it's scary....
sad.gif

I did a couple track days (back in the day) in my ZX-7RR, but I didn't even consider taking the Busa out on one...I was actually going to buy a GSXR 750, or used Ducati for the track. How was the Busa? Maybe I won't get another bike after all...
BTW, track days are AWESOME!!! You get the biggest rush, and you actually get a lot of opportunity to better your skills, which in turn makes you a better rider on the street.

OH FUG.....you guys are makin me sooooo jealous!!!! I've been telling the wife about the track days and such, but she's scared of it. I tell her that the track is THE ONLY place that you should be pushin a bike hard...and if anything happens to you, there's medical peeps there to help you out on the spot.

sad.gif
You want her to sell her jewelery to pay for your track days?  Just take her on a highspeed run in the country with TREES, and SAND, and GUARDRAILS, DITCHES, ANIMALS, TRAFFIC, and NO ambulance 500 feet away at all times...  130- 160mph ought to do it.  Then point out the safety features on the track like pebbled runoffs, instructors, lower speeds, ambulances, decent surfaces.  If that fails, try the "If you love me, you'll let me" approach.  When that fails, remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.  ;)

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089117429 -->

right on Haywood, I've seen you ride and you getting that wide BT56 down to the edges is most impressive !! Way to go man !!
cool.gif

I would love to have a track day, learn some cornering methods, see the professionals do it...

Congrats on finally getting to go! I think many of us are jealous!
wink.gif

sad.gif
You want her to sell her jewelery to pay for your track days?  Just take her on a highspeed run in the country with TREES, and SAND, and GUARDRAILS, DITCHES, ANIMALS, TRAFFIC, and NO ambulance 500 feet away at all times...  130- 160mph ought to do it.  Then point out the safety features on the track like pebbled runoffs, instructors, lower speeds, ambulances, decent surfaces.  If that fails, try the "If you love me, you'll let me" approach.  When that fails, remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.  ;)
Excellent advice, WWJD.. I think those tactics ought to just about swing it in PAC's favour!
biggrin.gif
I like the way you think!

So I take it that I will be keeping up to you when I finally make it out to Calgary?
rock.gif
??? Let me know when the next track day is. I might just head out for one.

So I take it that I will be keeping up to you when I finally make it out to Calgary?
rock.gif
??? Let me know when the next track day is. I might just head out for one.
Depends how much more practise I get in before you come out!
biggrin.gif
You missed a pretty good weekend.. I got some riding in - mostly rained late in the day and not much or for long, until Sunday, which sucked.. next time, bro', next time...

Back