Touring on the busa

luvridin

Registered
Getting ready to take a week ride on my busa. Was wondering if anyone could give any tips critical items, etc. I live in St.louis and am trying to decide the best trip. I am thinking head west towrds Colorado,Arizona ,Utah. I also am trying to decide if I should put my new micheling pilot street race tires on or get a different set for this ride. I also need to get some bags.

Definatly some sort of saddle bags or a large bag to strap down on the passenger seat. I wouldnt go with pilots on a long trip. You should go with a touring/sport tire like Avons. They last a long time and would do you better in the long run. If you go long distance on a pilot power or the like, you will probably come home with no tread in the middle and the sides of your tire full of meat!

Im going with my father he has a bmw and has hard bags he can help me with some as my mom isnt going but I dont want him to have all my stuff.

I was afraid of that with the tires. I do mostly backroad riding and got them with no intention of riding a long distance and what do ya know. I do have heated grips and my bars are raised but I can still feel the burn right now.

Go with the Avons, get a tank bag and some saddle bags  (Tourmaster Type). Other than that, don't try to take everything you would in a Car  
laugh.gif
, just stay with "ONLY what you need"  and HAVE FUN  
beerchug.gif

Go to a local bicycle store and buy some riding pants to wear as your underwear. Tell them you want the ones with the most padding too! They will tell you that less padding is better and then tell them you are using them for a motorcycle trip. Will make a world of difference in comfort. I would go with soft bags as they are easy on/off and you can carry them into a hotel room with you. Plus they offer you some much more space then the Corbin beetle bags ($1500.00) and cost around $100.00. Many are expandable even. Here is my Busa prior to leaving on an 800 mile roundtrip for an extended holiday weekend with my ex-girlfriend. We both had the riding pants on and never got sore butts!

RIMG0001.JPG

the tankbags look uncomfortable and in your way but i see alot of people with them do they scratch the paint?

(luvridin @ Mar. 26 2007,17:27) the tankbags look uncomfortable and in your way but i see alot of people with them do they scratch the paint?
They are well padded and will not scratch your paint. And, depending on size, will not interfere with your view of your guages. Mine is fine.

These Cortechs are nice for less then 200.00 for the saddlebags and the tail bag. I also like a tank bag, you can rest on it and take a bit of strain off your back.

Cortech.jpg

Shown here are the Chase Harper sport tank bag and Aeropac saddle bags I got from GMBusa. I like 'em ok - but, for a really long trip I would want something a little bigger, I think. Also, I would add a tail bag for the back.
cool.gif

Good luck on yer trip
wink.gif

DSC00593.JPG

(luvridin @ Mar. 26 2007,19:27) the tankbags look uncomfortable and in your way but i see alot of people with them do they scratch the paint?
I've never had a problem with a Tank Bag, infact I use it as a rest and find it very comfortable. Even to the point of making you sleepy  
wink.gif
. Also, the good ones don't scratch anything !  
super.gif

When I was living in Indianapolis, I did the route 66 route from St. Louis to LA. Going back I cut up north and hit some awesome roads until I got on the east side of Denver. Things got flat and boring after that. That was a trip I did last summer. You should give yourself 2 weeks if that is going to be your route. We alternated, yes we as in two on a busa, with being on the interstate and being on Rte 66. My Cortech bags are very expandable and carry a whole lotta clothes. We did laundry twice on that trip. Just thought I would throw that out there for you. Have fun!

I don't know the first thing about bags, but I know a little about Airzona. And Colorado since you are going that way.

In Co, take I-70 from Denver to Aspen and down past Grand Junction. When you get to the copper mountain area (just past Frisco, CO) hit up Independence Pass. It might be one of the best roads in the nation. Seriously. It ends in Aspen, Co if you come from the Copper Mountain side, but it may still be closed when you get here, but the weather is super nice right now. If you can't take it then I-70 runs through Vail pass and the Glenwood Canyon which are both beautiful (but not as nice as IP). The road down I-70 also has a lot of great rides in Thackerville and Leadville. Headed to Grand Junction is a little less, but is wide open and very scenic.

In AZ head for Phoenix and Flagstaff. The Prescott area near Phoenix and Flagstaff is a great ride. Northern AZ is great with mountains, curves, etc and the Grand Canyon which I never get tired of seeing. Southern AZ is hot dry and open. Seriously seriously open. The road from Gila Bend to Yuma is so flat you could reasonably pull 200+ and never see a cop for about 150 miles. I like it, but it does get a little droll. Heading north from Yuma is one of my favorite roads in America, the Needles to Vegas run. Another 200+ road that is flat open, and has these cool sweeping hills that are about 15 feet high meaning you can juuust see over them the whole way. If you head that way its mostly hot and flat, but near Laughlin is pretty fun, and you can see the London Bridge for your tourist trap. Plus, it's Vegas if you head that far. The Hoover Dam and gambling! Woot!

I havent been to Utah on a bike...so I can't tell you about that.

Get yourself some soft bags. As said before, they are cheap,easy to fit, and carry right into the motel. I have the Cortech sport saddlebags,sport tailbag, and mini magnetic tankbag. Right around $250. Sport touring tires are a must. I use the Avons and like them.
Some things to consider to carry:

Cell phone & 12 volt charger (12 volt outlet installed somewhere on bike)
Clear faceshield if you wear tinted.
Small spray bottle filled with water and a couple drops of dishwash soap for faceshield. ( the only thing I ever use, a must for bug splatters)
A few Scott blue shop towels (or whatever) for cleaning face shields, and "roadside emergencies".
Spare key.
Advil, Tylenol, etc.
Earplugs.
Chain lube.
A pair of glasses if you wear contacts.
Some type of eyedrops.
Good maps.
Good water proof gear.
Tire plug kit and 12volt air compressor. CO2 just won't cut it here. I have a $10 Cambell Hausfeld from Walmart, with the plastic case removed. Pretty small.
Sounds like a lot, but it all packs up pretty small.

Back