Touring on a 'Busa

Scooter

Registered
Sorry if this is a dead horse topic, but I can't seem to find a search option.

Anyway, I'm new-bike shopping and the Hayabusa is on my short list of finalists. I want a big, fast monster for sport-touring. I'm worried about ergos (and the dealerships won't allow test rides). I'm 6' 3" 200 lbs. Is the leg and arm position decent for long hauls? Are there kits to lower the pegs or raise the bars if needed?

I will certainly use Corbin's Beetle Bags. I will also upgrade the seat. But what is the preferred Sport Touring windshield?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks for helping a potential new Busa owner.

Scooter,
Welcome to the board. As for the search option, here's the deal:
Becuase we have so many information invaders out there, the administrators decided to cleverly cloak the search function to prevent outsiders from accessing our inner sanctum of knowledge and wisdom. They did this by by placing the function in a very obscure location and masked it with completely non-descript markings. I will let you in on the secret, since you took the time to register - look at the upper left hand corner of your screen (in between the Kanji and the RideGear banner). Sorry - just messing with ya! As far as the ergos, you can get bar risers and change the pegs - actually, it seems like quite a few of the taller riders switch to Buell foot pegs. Most people will switch to Corbin or Tobin seats for comfort and riding position. I am not a fan of beetlebags myself, because you have to either keep the stock exhaust or the same profile - I like the high mounts (besides, they are just so expensive). Windscreens are something of a hot topic, many differeing opinions here. As far as a touring bike, I don't think there is anything better in a sport touring bike. Very smotth, very comfortable and very easy to look at. Scoots along pretty quickly too. Just my thoughts. Again welcome. Make sure you post pics when you finally do bring her home.

Thats why I bought a Busa , the comfort when Sport-Touring .

I am 6'3 245 and ain't ready for a station wagon yet
tounge.gif
Fact is if I get too old for a bike like the Busa , I'll quit riding
biggrin.gif

I bought Gen-Mar 3/4 riser plate and Protek Lite pegs . I also bought the Ventura pack system with a 45 liter pack . Installs and removes quick and gives the Wife a backrest + can carry other things under the pack on the luggage rack. I use a big tank bag and travel lite so no need for beetles or soft bags for me .

Welcome to the board scooter
biggrin.gif

... You could try the ZG Double Bubble windscreeen!! It cuts out lot of wind hitting your chest. And its pretty easy to lower or raise your busa, so I dont think you need to worry about that.

Here's the Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen. It does a decent job of cutting some of the wind, but with you being a taller rider, it may just change where the wind hits you.

I haven't changed pegs (track day clearance) or added bar risers. If I want a comfy cruise, then I just take the Electra-Glide.
laugh.gif

Welcome to the Org... Looks like you got a lot of good info above.
Been all over God's green earth on my Busa. I have Genmar Risers, LHP 360 foot pegs, Ventura cycle pack/rack and a Givi Tank bag. Best set-up for touring IMOP...
Didn't use the taller windscreen as I like the wind blowing on me a bit. Helps support my upper body just a little. When I did have the taller screen less wind meant more effort supporting myself. I'm 6'5", 225lbs......

Anyway, I'm new-bike shopping and the Hayabusa is on my short list of finalists.  I want a big, fast monster for sport-touring.  I'm worried about ergos (and the dealerships won't allow test rides).  I'm 6' 3" 200 lbs.  Is the leg and arm position decent for long hauls?  Are there kits to lower the pegs or raise the bars if needed?

I will certainly use Corbin's Beetle Bags.  I will also upgrade the seat.  But what is the preferred Sport Touring windshield?

Forget Corbin go with the SW-Motech mounts and Givi (or one of the other bag options, hardly anyone knows about these mounts but you can get side and tail hardbag mounts that allow you to fit givi and 2 other mfg's bags ).  Beetle bags are $$$ and dont open except on the top.  I just got my bus friday and put the bags on saturday (E41's keyless - monokey's) and realized I just made the right move, looks good and can hold 2 helmets in one sidebag (see if the beetles can do that
smile.gif
).  As far as toruability I have genmar's and Helibars on it and it is equivalent to my VFR for comfort and superior for smoothness (mainly because hwy speeds are achieved at 4000 RPM instead of 6000).  I would HIGHLY recommed as busa as a sport tourer from what I have seen so far.

Forget Corbin go with the SW-Motech mounts and Givi (or one of the other bag options, hardly anyone knows about these mounts but you can get side and tail hardbag mounts that allow you to fit givi and 2 other mfg's bags ). Beetle bags are $$$ and dont open except on the top. I just got my bus friday and put the bags on saturday (E41's keyless - monokey's) and realized I just made the right move, looks good and can hold 2 helmets in one sidebag (see if the beetles can do that ). As far as toruability I have genmar's and Helibars on it and it is equivalent to my VFR for comfort and superior for smoothness (mainly because hwy speeds are achieved at 4000 RPM instead of 6000). I would HIGHLY recommed as busa as a sport tourer from what I have seen so far. [/QUOTE]

I'll say the same thing. for the price, Corbins are far too expensive, and not useful enough. The main gripes you hear are that the openings are awkward and that they and the bags themselves are too small to really haul anything worthwhile.

Go check out Twisted Throttle and see what they have available for touring bags on the Busa. Between the Krauser K-wing and bags, or the SW-Motech hidden mounts and Givi bags (especially the Monolock E41s) you can get a lot more capacity and excellent bags for a lot less price. Far more useful for true touring.

As for comfort on long hauls, I'm 6'6" and 270. I have no problems with it. You could probably even lower the pegs a bit, but I have no issues even at standard height as far as comfort goes. But definitely get either a ZG or Puig Touring Screen. A double bubble at the very least.

Welcome to the board and the Busa experience. I have a stock 04' Busa that I brought home 27 May 04 and today it is registering 5962 miles. I have not had one ride (50 miles up to 420) where in the end I was uncomfortable. Out on the highway plenty of room to stretch if necessary and in the twisties enough room to get low and have some fun. I am approx 6' and around 220lbs. The Busa is great on long hauls and short. Just my opinion of course.

puig touring screen (thicker than the others, some say better quality) but there are also ones that are adjustable too!
reaper or genmar risers work the same way...cheaper than heli bars
tobin seats
buell pegs
beetle bags for short hauls (find them used)
ventura rack/pack system (perfect amount when combined with beetles)

that said...let's ride!

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115718615 -->

My 'Busa was causing me neck pain on long hauls.
Installed a GenMar 1.25" bar riser and a Zero Gravity "Sport Touring" Windshield. Completely changed the ride. Very comfortable now!!

I am a new busa owner with just 900 miles so far, but in my humble opinion this is the ultimate sport-touring bike. I am about 5'11"/205lbs and this puppy fits me perfectly.

Like waterbug, I like some wind on my chest for the same reason.

'bout the only ergo mod I might make is buell pegs. My longest ride to date was 270mi, did it in about 4hrs/15mins including several stops. Had to get home and finish "honey-doo's"

I was ready to keep right on goin'. Very comfortable.

Welcome to the board, anything you want to know about your new ride can be found right here.

Great people-invaluable information.

Anyway, I'm new-bike shopping and the Hayabusa is on my short list of finalists.  I want a big, fast monster for sport-touring.  I'm worried about ergos (and the dealerships won't allow test rides).  I'm 6' 3" 200 lbs.  Is the leg and arm position decent for long hauls?  Are there kits to lower the pegs or raise the bars if needed?

I will certainly use Corbin's Beetle Bags.  I will also upgrade the seat.  But what is the preferred Sport Touring windshield?

Scooter...I'm another Hyper Sport Touring spirit whose chosen the mighty busa as the ultimate magnum caliber foundation from which to build my supersonic steed.

I was headed towards a ZZR1200 up until I called my Bud Ivan(of Ivans Performance Products) with some pre-purchase questions regarding the ZZR's issue with scoring cams and Ivan squared me away by telling me..."I know you Jinks...so don't even bother with the ZZR..just go straight for the Busa."...and I did.

The Busa is almost as comfy as the ZZR and after adding a Puig Touring Windscreen and 1 1/4" Genmar Risers I find it exactly as comfy as a ZZR...well...it sure will be after I finish my $25 Buell Footpeg mod....and I'm happy to reportv that Ivan was correct...and I've literally fallen in love with the massive waves of torque the Busa so willingly and readily delivers at the slightest twist of the wrist.

I'm 46, 5'8", 240lbs and not in the greatest of shape but...I can head out all day long on my Busa with the above set-up and smile the whole time with no ill after-affects.

Here she is...High Ho Silver..LOL!!!

PUIG1.jpg

PUIG2.jpg

PUIG3.jpg

PUIG6.jpg

Like a two wheeled bullet-train on meth!!! LOL!!!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

well i cannot comment on the sport touring aspect because i hae not yet purchased 1 eyt, but it is in the works and if all works out well i will have an 01 on thursday.

anyway i can comment on the search button. i thought i was blind because i couldnt find it. but it wasnt me it was my antivirus. if you have norton it blocks it. disable it and it will show up.

this is a pic of helibars and genmar risers you can see where the bar comes out of the tree it doesnt come out strait like the stock one brings the bars up back and out then in between the tree and the fork is the riser its 3/4 of an inch the black plate , it has changed the whole seating position on the bike , just got my tobin seats today and went for my first ride , sitting up right with the puig double bubble wind screen the wind hitting the helmet was minimal ,i was just about tripple digits !
biggrin.gif

busa6.jpg

Get the Tobin seat with the Hump Pad, it is awsome for touring. Lower the bike 1 inch front and rear. The Buell Pegs are great. I installed the ZG screen for touring and I put on different bars, higher wider and further back than the stocker bars(Longer braided lines and trimming of the windscreen required.). This bike is the most comfortable thing I have ever had. All day comfort. I couldnt be happier. The seat and bars are a must modifcation,IMO..Plus 46 MPG all the time.

Bill do you have your sliders on the wrong sides? Backwards? Looks like the longer one is on the wrong side in the pic...

Back