Sport vs. Sport Touring Tires For Touring Duty On The Busa

There was a recent inquiry over on the tire forum about the suitability of the Dunlop Roadsmart. The discussion turned into a debate about sticky sport tires vs. extended life dual compound sport touring tires for the Hayabusa.

I decided to post my reply here. Even if you have no interest in tires, this story has some serious Hayabusa entertainment value.

Nearly 4 years ago, my friend and I were on the last leg of a 2400 mile Memorial Day motorcycle trip that featured Western Colorado. We were in the little town of Challis, Idaho, getting the last tank of fuel for the trip home to Boise. I had filled my BMW and bought an ice cream. I was sitting on a little bench outside the door of the Sinclair at the junction of highways 93 and 75, minding my own business, when up pulls a beautiful black Hayabusa. He parked it right in front of me. He didn't get gas; he just hopped off and went inside. This was a revelation to me. I had wanted a Hayabusa for the longest time, and wondered if I could really tour on one. Here was one parked right in front of me, all laden down with luggage (Cortech tri-bag setup in matching black, with a tank bag). I think that may have been the exact point in my life when I decided that I would make it happen.

I was right in the middle of my daydream when the guy came back out and started to put in his ear plugs. He was a heavy set guy, probably pushing 280 pounds. He was in black leather, head to toe. He seemed to be in a hurry, not even noticing me there. As he was grabbing the straps on his helmet to pull it on, I saw something out of the corner of my eye... a 1" wide silver strip of steel cord down the center of the rear tire.

I yelled at the guy. He reluctantly took out his ear plugs. I pointed out the issue with his rear tire. Now, for reasons that I don't understand, because I pointed out this issue, the issue became my fault and he debated with me as if I somehow put the steel stripe there.

He argued that he was headed for the Larry Miller Motorsports Park west of Salt Lake City and that he needed to be in SLC before rush hour traffic. I told him that he'd make it to SLC before rush hour, but it wouldn't be today's rush hour. This made the issue even more my fault.

I questioned more about his trip, not to be nosey, but just out of curiosity. He told me that he'd left Helena at the crack of dawn and he assured me that the rear tire had plenty of tread when he left home.

By this time, my riding partner had fueled his bike and joined the conversation. He suggested that the guy backtrack to Salmon to find a tire. To me, the chances of finding a 190/50 in Salmon seemed slim. I suggested Idaho Falls, but I was not certain at all that the tire had the necessary 148 miles left in it. Idaho Falls would have been a detour, and looking back, Pocatello might have been a better suggestion. The guy kept arguing that he needed to be in SLC in a few hours, which was 325 miles away.

After much debate, the guy pulled on his helmet, straddled the already laden Busa with his added 280, and started the long 80 mile run to Arco, which would be the next place he would have certain cell service, if he even had a phone.

I think about that guy often, always wondering how far he got before that back tire let go.

Tire choice is a personal preference, but trying to do extended trips on a sticky sport tire just doesn't make sense to me. At best, I would only get one trip per set of tires. At the end of a 2400 mile trip, the tire might have half its tread left, but not enough to finish a second trip. I'm going to stick with the 2CT ST tires. No pun intended. My current choice is the Michelin PR2.

Why argue??? Let him know his steel is showing, you want to try an make it 325 miles on the threads, OK..... Wish him luck and keep your distance if he is riding with you or take a different route if isn't.

I have long been puzzled at how so many riders judge the quality of a tire by the maximum number of miles the tire can travel before that shinny part shows up. I wish we could all find a high performance tire that would last 15K miles but the technology for such a tire does not exist. At least not yet. Dual compound tires have narrowed the gap between performance and mileage. But let there be no doubt that one gives up a considerable safety margin with high mileage tires mounted on two wheels. Yes, I know,,,,,,,,,,,,, this 12000 mile PR3 has all the grip I'll ever need. We seem to forget the majority of single bike crashes are due to loss of traction. We buy one of the most powerful bikes on earth and never give a thought to that sliver dollar size patch that sometimes separates us from enjoying dinner with the family with a visit to the ER.

Yes indeed, it puzzles me? :dunno:

Do you long-distance tour on your Hayabusa?

If so, how do you get the full use out of the tire without swapping tires for each trip? Or do you install a new set for every trip? In other words, if you have back to back 2500 mile trips planned for June and July, do you try to squeeze both trips out of the same set of tires? If a tire has 2000 miles of life left, and you have a big trip planned, do you swap before the trip or buy tires during the trip? What is your solution?

Ive put about 2500 on my Road smart 2 and have never had a scary moment because of the tires. Ive had it pretty low and it seems pretty sticky to me.

If so, how do you get the full use out of the tire without swapping tires for each trip? Or do you install a new set for every trip? In other words, if you have back to back 2500 mile trips planned for June and July, do you try to squeeze both trips out of the same set of tires? If a tire has 2000 miles of life left, and you have a big trip planned, do you swap before the trip or buy tires during the trip? What is your solution?

That is exactly what I did last year. Rode with Cap and semi to the bash on brand new set of Q-2's, then turned around a few months later and rode to Colorado with semi on the same set. I replace them when they reach the wear bars. I just fitted a brand new set of Q-2's on my bike last night.

Fitted Pirelli Road Angels to the Busa for all the right reasons high mileage and sure footage. They have not disappointed great wet and dry weather performance.

I actually changed out a front tire roughly 1500 miles prematurally due to a 5 day trip. Could have I kept it on and changed it when I got back yeah it would have been shot though. Did I want to travel 400 miles home on the insterastate running 90-100 mph for 5 hours on a wore out tire, nope!
So I lost 25.00 worth of rubber rather then risking a flat tire or a high speed blow out. You do the equation to what your azz is worth.

I've never been on a ride that a new set of rubber would not get me there and back. My theory is simple, if I can't afford a fresh set of rubber when I begin a long distance ride I don't need to go.

If I'm doing a 3K mile trip I can install a set of Q2's or equal and make the trip with a few day rides left in them when I return. If I spend a week doing 3K miles the tires are a very small portion of the total tab. I don't go cheap on trying to milk high mileage tires because I am all to aware that good rubber is the best safety factor I can do to increase my chances of arriving home in one piece!

I have long been puzzled at how so many riders judge the quality of a tire by the maximum number of miles the tire can travel before that shinny part shows up. I wish we could all find a high performance tire that would last 15K miles but the technology for such a tire does not exist. At least not yet. Dual compound tires have narrowed the gap between performance and mileage. But let there be no doubt that one gives up a considerable safety margin with high mileage tires mounted on two wheels. Yes, I know,,,,,,,,,,,,, this 12000 mile PR3 has all the grip I'll ever need. We seem to forget the majority of single bike crashes are due to loss of traction. We buy one of the most powerful bikes on earth and never give a thought to that sliver dollar size patch that sometimes separates us from enjoying dinner with the family with a visit to the ER.

Yes indeed, it puzzles me? :dunno:

I hear ya brother and I appreciate what you're saying. Bought a PR3 front Thursday after looking at an ugly front tire that had me concerned up here in the mountains. Did lots of riding yesterday and I'm no where near the rider you are, I couldn't get them to twitch. Hopefully they'll be a good fit for me and give me 10K. Scars a little harder in the corners than me and he's happy, so we will see.

Tuff, I agree with you 100%. All the internet tire threads are "I got 7k on my Dunlop Roadsmart II and I'm trying the rock hard (Michelin, Shinko, Pirelli etc) to see if I can get more mileage out of the tires". Dunlop has those Roadsmart touring tires biased just a tad towards softer performance rubber and it pays off when you push them. I am amazed at everyone trying to get the hardest Michelins and push them hard on the street. People are inherently cheap beyond good sense. Michelin Pilot Power 3 is the direct competitor to the Dunlop Q2. The Pilot Road 3 would be the Roadsmart from Dunlop. Currently the Dunlops are cheaper and built for big heavy bikes. But, none of them are junk anymore. Everyone makes a fairly decent tire. Be careful putting on touring tires on your hyper performance bike.......then try to do MotoGP turns!

Tuf, you are right that riders should not push the PR2/3 to the max, but for riders like me they work great. I ride my bike 120 miles round trip for a commute and 90% of that is interstate. I swapped my last set of PR2's out after around 14K miles and feel I could have gotten another 1K or so. I installed another set of PR2's because I got them cheap and could not pass up the deal.

Now, I realize that the PR2 tire could not perform anywhere near a true sport tire in the turns, and I am fine with that. In reality, I do not have the skill or ambition to ride the bike at a full lean and don't ever see myself doing this. I do ride in the mountains, sometimes I am solo sometimes my wife is on the back with me. I never ride past my ability and am always aware of the road conditions. I feel these are the two biggest factors that will help me stay alive while riding my bike. I do have total confidence in the PR2 tires and know they are not as good as true sport tires in the turns, but again I am good with that as that is not my riding style.

I enjoy the comfort and durability of the PR2/3 tire as I put a lot of miles on a bike in a year. They are not the right choice for everyone, but they are 100% the right choice for me.

Tuf, you are right that riders should not push the PR2/3 to the max, but for riders like me they work great. I ride my bike 120 miles round trip for a commute and 90% of that is interstate. I swapped my last set of PR2's out after around 14K miles and feel I could have gotten another 1K or so. I installed another set of PR2's because I got them cheap and could not pass up the deal.

Now, I realize that the PR2 tire could not perform anywhere near a true sport tire in the turns, and I am fine with that. In reality, I do not have the skill or ambition to ride the bike at a full lean and don't ever see myself doing this. I do ride in the mountains, sometimes I am solo sometimes my wife is on the back with me. I never ride past my ability and am always aware of the road conditions. I feel these are the two biggest factors that will help me stay alive while riding my bike. I do have total confidence in the PR2 tires and know they are not as good as true sport tires in the turns, but again I am good with that as that is not my riding style.

I enjoy the comfort and durability of the PR2/3 tire as I put a lot of miles on a bike in a year. They are not the right choice for everyone, but they are 100% the right choice for me.

I totally understand your point and I'm by no means insinuating you should let me make your tire decisions for you. I'm simply pointing out the realities of life on two wheels.

You are correct, your touring tire (PR3) works just fine until it don't. Actually a bald PR3 with steel cord showing will work until it don't. The real hitch in your getti-up is you don't get to pick and choose when you run out of traction. And don't think of a second the only guys that need traction is the twisty addicts! Go read the crash forum. Far more crashes due to loss of traction are guys just like you who run out of traction (The lions share whom are on low traction tires) on the front tire (Which is the control point of every thing you do) when they need more brake than they have traction.

Some guys just like you ride their entire life on low traction tires and never have an issue, but they are few and far between. Your chances of riding your entire life on touring tires on a busa without loosing traction on your front tire are slim at best. And my final point is: A single crash due to tire choice can be far more expensive than the money you saved with high mileage low traction tires.

Simply Food for Thought!

Hey Tuf, where do you teach? I might take a vacation and have you teach me some tricks. I'm slower than a bull moose in heat on the road. I ride the BKing and I don't push it too hard but I love my Q2 front, Roadsmart rear. I have by total accident gotten into a few turns faster than I planned as I don't push it. I always have enough extra left to look where Im going and just pray I make it. After the turn finishes I pull the seat out of my ass and then my Sliding jeans with praise for the tires for gripping like Dunlop designed them. My "normal" riding leaves me 1.25 inches of pure virgin rubber chicken strips. Thanks for the info.

Hey Tuf, where do you teach? I might take a vacation and have you teach me some tricks. I'm slower than a bull moose in heat on the road. I ride the BKing and I don't push it too hard but I love my Q2 front, Roadsmart rear. I have by total accident gotten into a few turns faster than I planned as I don't push it. I always have enough extra left to look where Im going and just pray I make it. After the turn finishes I pull the seat out of my ass and then my Sliding jeans with praise for the tires for gripping like Dunlop designed them. My "normal" riding leaves me 1.25 inches of pure virgin rubber chicken strips. Thanks for the info.

I work for 2-fast.org and SulivanRaceSchool.com as well as a couple of dealers who put on trackdays for their customers.

I would love to see you at the track and be more than happy to help you defeat a few of those bad habits which we all have. However, I'm all the way on the west coast in Washington State and you'd have quite the trip to get here. If you decide to come this direction sometime I'd give you the SteveO half price School Special for your efforts. :thumbsup:

A little track time combined with training is confidence inspiring to every rider.

Well damn who would have ever thunk it and all this time I thought he trained poodles.
Maybe he can train me to ride in A mode.

Yeah the whole sport vs sport touring tyre debate will go on forever. Me? Well, I've run both Michelin Power Pure and Pilot Road 2/3 on previous bikes. On my 13 LE I might swap to the Michelin Pilot Power 3 come first service...

And when it comes to big trips, I'll rip a set of tyres off that won't run the distance of the trip. As for running them down to the wearbars? Get real!! Spend a small fortune on my wheels and then cheap out on the rubber....reckon if you can't afford the rubber, you can't afford the ride.

Back