Too hard on twisties-Scraped the fairing

OB_buzzlatka

Registered
Just put a new pilot power on the rear and was on my favorite section of HWY 49 between Bear valley and Coulterville.  Typically on the twisties I scrape the left footpeg.  I guess I lean more left.  This time I started to scrape the right footpeg.  I was a little shocked but continued having fun.  When I stopped for a break I noticed the fairing, exhaust pipe and can were a little bruised also.
Anyone else seen this.  Maybe at track days?

I will attempt to attach the pic
Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

<!--EDIT|buzzlatka
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123805794 -->

Nevermind.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123805892 -->

I have never touched down yet but last week I rode with some 600's on misquito ridge road up in foresthill and the guy I was ride'in behind told me it looked like I was about to scrape my faring on a few turns...It was all I could do to keep up with those hotdogs...
tounge.gif
Sacto huh...I'm not far from ya.

My friend was behind me on an RC51. He said that when the left peg touched a few sparks flew out. When everything hit on the right a bunch of dust/dirt and sparks flew out. He was the one that actually got us to stop to see if I had damaged anything.

BTW ozz I am in the pocket area on the south side of town.

Is your bike lowered? I ride with a guy who has dragged his bodywork but it set an inch lower than stock. If not you just have one hell of a lean angle.

I'm guessing you aren't using knee pucks. Because if you were, you could actually be going through the turn with as much lean angle and not scraping by off-setting the fulcrum with your body weight.

You are counter-steering, hense the scrapes.

My friend was behind me on an RC51.  He said that when the left peg touched a few sparks flew out.  When everything hit on the right a bunch of dust/dirt and sparks flew out.  He was the one that actually got us to stop to see if I had damaged anything.  

BTW ozz I am in the pocket area on the south side of town.
Right on...maybe we can put together a little ride sometime
cool.gif

The bike is not lowered.

Cookie, that really makes sense. I think I need to invest in some pucks. I guess I need to figure a way to attach them to my aerostich outfit or get some leathers.

Thanks

Buzzlatka, if you plan on dragging your knees on the street,,,

,,,YOU BETTER INVEST IN SOME GOOD LEATHERS!!

Believe me when I say, crashing sucks,,,with leathers, let alone to imagine without them.

I have dragged both sides on my bike...I all them 'thuggin strips', 'cause I was riding like a thug when I did it.

Try to master body positioning first WITHOUT dragging your knee, and without scraping any parts. This will involve moving your body off to the side a bit, and lowering your overall center of gravity. Like Cookie said.

This allows, IF done properly, for a lesser lean angle for the same speed through the turns.

If you can manage to do a couple of track days, you'll learn more there than you would in a few months of street riding.

This pic is at Road America, and the turn is being taken at around 100 mph. (just for a reference)

ps_dsc_442693.jpeg

yes track days learn you alot trust me i just did one and love it i don't think i would care to lean as far as you did on the street only at the track do i feel that comfortable but wow man definatly invest in the track day it will do wonders
cool.gif

Is your suspension stock? I touched the right lowest point of mine down but with the stock settings. I figure it was so soft, it lightly touched down at Deal's Gap.

DSCN5874.JPG

If it's stock, you might want to get it set up right so you don't lever it off the ground and do a getoff. Since the formum has moved around, I'm not sure exactly where the suspension thread is. Technical/Howto maybe.

Carl

I dont think I can ever touch my cans in a lean ... cause I have raised the rear of the busa!! I dont try it either
blush.gif

Back