TOMAHAWK TIRES ?

see? I don't know how they still sell them with this type of press and opinions... they need some longevity reports, better pricing and endorsement from better than stunters... unless, that is their intended market?

I saw those. I was psyched. What a great deal. They looked great. Then I saw in the very fine print they were re-treads. I wouldn't even consider them for a bike. Especially not a sport bike. It just isn't worth the savings. If I were really trying to go cheap, I'd go with the Shinkos.

see? I don't know how they still sell them with this type of press and opinions... they need some longevity reports, better pricing and endorsement from better than stunters... unless, that is their intended market?
tough stigma from the old days of recaps... I have searched high and low and have not found any reports of one coming apart but hard to say (outside of the endurance racing they have) how hard they have been run..

Probably not a soul here has run them or knows anyone that has.. They are in injection molded tire like new tires are so the that eliminates a cap flying off..

Guess they need to sponsor some of our bikes for free to get some press...
whistling.gif

If you want colored tires for your scoot...

it only orange rubber
laugh.gif
I may get a set of the #2 compounds to try out..

I have run Tomahawks twice. Both times on the rear only and only on the street. $85 delivered and they wear great, have good traction and no problems at all. The first bike had one on for 1,000 miles before the bike was sold. The second one is still in use with almost 1,000 miles on it. Dont know how they will do in the long run yet.

I did a search for forums where riders were giving opinions and came upon this one. Hard to tell because everyone is an expert, but he seemed to give a pretty good run down on his experience.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93950

I'm probably going off the stigma the retreads have received from years past. I can't help but picture one of these unraveling at a high rate of speed or even low speed for that matter. Maybe they're good, but I think the pucker factor worrying about them if I wind up the RPMs one day wouldn't make them worth it. I have 4,500 miles on my bike right now and need to replace the OEM BT056. After looking at all the opinions, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the BT021. The shop I buy from will sell the rear to me for $150. You can't get much cheaper than that on-line. I usually change them myself, but I don't want to chance scratching the nice black rim. They want to charge $30. I'm looking at that as insurance if they get fubared.

I did a search for forums where riders were giving opinions and came upon this one. Hard to tell because everyone is an expert, but he seemed to give a pretty good run down on his experience.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93950

I'm probably going off the stigma the retreads have received from years past. I can't help but picture one of these unraveling at a high rate of speed or even low speed for that matter. Maybe they're good, but I think the pucker factor worrying about them if I wind up the RPMs one day wouldn't make them worth it. I have 4,500 miles on my bike right now and need to replace the OEM BT056. After looking at all the opinions, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the BT021. The shop I buy from will sell the rear to me for $150. You can't get much cheaper than that on-line. I usually change them myself, but I don't want to chance scratching the nice black rim. They want to charge $30. I'm looking at that as insurance if they get fubared.
well he had me till he said he had a "week" at deals gap and 4200 miles on his tires... The riding we did at the gap used up a pair of tires in 3 days + 900 miles..

Still going to try a set just for kicks... they are not going to unravel, (nothing to unravel with) as they are a molded tire using the "recycled" carcass instead of a new carcass..

will probably hate them but gotta try it...

I have a buddy that has talked about using them. He has a '99 CBR600F4 that he and I are trying to get going again. Like many of us, his money is tight and the cbr needs new shoes along with a lot of other maintenance items. The bike was ridden hard, and not taken care of but it was free.

lurk.gif
I will be interested in your results/review Bogus.

The thing that initially interested me was that they are not REALLY retreads, but the internal carcus [quality checked] then made like new tires are made - as I understand it. like what Bogus said. I emailed them that I would be happy to try a free pair to help P.R. but they never responded.

Get them and tell us how they work. Do some severe high speed runs on them. Let us know what you think.
anyone that has ridden with me will tell you I am not hard on tires at all... I drive like an old lady (Ms Daisy even)... I did speed once... scared me so bad I went home, took a shower and sent in a $200 fine just so i could sleep that night...

But with my beloved tires (Corsa3's) hitting $325 a pair, half price warrants a test ride...

I ran one on my turbo race bike. It wasnt a re cpa as far as I know. It was a super soft roadrace compoud. It hooked hard. I liked the feel better than a shrinko. 60 foot were about the same. I didnt get many passes cause my chain snapped and that was that. Hope this helps a little. Joe

I was actually given a set of Tomahawks last year for free from the manufacturer to try out at the track. Both tires were recapped Pirelli Super Corsas with very similar tread patterns and the familiar SC1 and SC2 compound stamped on the side of the tire. I did a full day of testing on them at Streets of Willow and here is what I thought: TOTAL JUNK! The tires held together, but I never could get a good feel for them. I ended up running about 6 seconds a lap slower than I ran on Pirelli's but I felt like I was running 15 seconds a lap faster. Total white knuckle the whole day. 1/2 way through the day I was looking for a tire vendor to take them off but none of the vendors brought tires. Every single corner entrance was an opportunity to tuck the front and every exit you were guaranteed a slide coming out. Once I managed to contain myself on corner entry and just go in slow I was able to have some fun with the exits and slide it out. It looks really cool on video at least. The other disadvantage of these tires is that they are quite a bit heavier than a normal tire which really has a negative affect on the handling. I would stay away from them no matter what the cost.

If most people saw how new tires are made you wouldn't want to run them either.  Shying on the side of safety is one thing, but using it as a crutch is BS. They put alot into these tires and wouldn't sell them if they were such a death risk. Maybe they're not the lightest, but they seem to work fine for alot of people.

Thanks for all the Great Responses.  But, I really don't think that I was that Seriouse about choosing these Tires.  Now If they Ever Decided to Give Me a Free Set for a PROMO OFFER I would !!!!  
thumb_up.gif

Back