Today was the reason I hate owning my own business

yea, here's a pic of one of your employees, with you "motivating", lol
s1e08_tortured_sawyer.jpg

just playing bro. seriously tho, you can't make employees WANT to work hard. they don't care if your business succeeds, as long as their check is signed every week

Sayeed never should have F'ed with Sawyer.

After repeated talks and write ups I fired everyone who works for me.. Production numbers are in the toilet.

Jobs that take me by my self less then 5 hours are taking 10 to 12,, Hell had one crew spend 2 hours cutting a 1/4 acre lot. 2 FREAKING HOURS.. It takes me by my self 20 min from gate down to gate up to mow edge, trim and blow a 1/4 acre lot.

Clean ups were taking days when I can do 2 on my own in a day.

And these are 2 person crews.

For the past 3 months my payroll has been 100% or more of my gross. I have taken a hit since the middle of Jan. There is no reason for it. Matter of fact the only jobs that are on schedule are the ones where I am there all day. Its not like I push them hard to work. I supply the best equipment there is, I make sure everything is filled with fuel, all the service work is done on everything, I put the adresses in the GPS units, hell Jessica makes sure all three trucks have fresh ice, gatoraid, water, and fruit every morning for the guys. I am the one who is up till midnight or later making sure they have work to do.. And its not like there is a lack of work to get done. I have a 3 week back log or work out side of regular mowing jobs.

But I just felt like I was being taken for a ride, so they had to go, and it hurt me deeply to fire them. But I guess I learned a lesson today, never become friends with your workers..

So now I have 2 40K mowing rigs sitting in the parking lot that should be making 1K a day in service. I am going to the staffing office tomorrow and getting some workers out here. its my only choice.
Ill work ive been cutting grass for the last 5 years or so what the pay i need to make some real money.

This is a reality check for me. I am looking to go into the restaurant business this year and seeing this makes me think twice.

After repeated talks and write ups I fired everyone who works for me.. Production numbers are in the toilet.

Jobs that take me by my self less then 5 hours are taking 10 to 12,, Hell had one crew spend 2 hours cutting a 1/4 acre lot. 2 FREAKING HOURS.. It takes me by my self 20 min from gate down to gate up to mow edge, trim and blow a 1/4 acre lot.

Clean ups were taking days when I can do 2 on my own in a day.

And these are 2 person crews.

For the past 3 months my payroll has been 100% or more of my gross. I have taken a hit since the middle of Jan. There is no reason for it. Matter of fact the only jobs that are on schedule are the ones where I am there all day. Its not like I push them hard to work. I supply the best equipment there is, I make sure everything is filled with fuel, all the service work is done on everything, I put the adresses in the GPS units, hell Jessica makes sure all three trucks have fresh ice, gatoraid, water, and fruit every morning for the guys. I am the one who is up till midnight or later making sure they have work to do.. And its not like there is a lack of work to get done. I have a 3 week back log or work out side of regular mowing jobs.

But I just felt like I was being taken for a ride, so they had to go, and it hurt me deeply to fire them. But I guess I learned a lesson today, never become friends with your workers..

So now I have 2 40K mowing rigs sitting in the parking lot that should be making 1K a day in service. I am going to the staffing office tomorrow and getting some workers out here. its my only choice.

Shame you're all the way down in S.C., or I'd hit you up for work. I'm hurtin' for it here.

Ok,

To the OP with the lawn business, hang in there, sounds like you are a good guy and people will respect that trust me. You will find good people.

To Saiid, man I have lived in TN my whole life almost and I have to tell you a few things. Not to sound racist in anyway, but a middle eastern store in the middle of TN? Don't think that is gonna work out brother.

The second problem is that you have 150 degree heat and probably having to pay people 5 or 6 bucks an hour, whatever minimum wage was back then. People just ain't going to do it especially in those conditions.

Had you started that business is Jersey or somewhere, you would probably be loaded right now.

Back