Tobin?

thesnake

Registered
I'm curious why nearly everyone at this site seems to go with corbin over tobin, whereas at suzukihayabusa.org, they are big time tobin folks. I've never owned a tobin and am wondering how they stack up.

thx in advance!

while they are custom seats, from what I can tell they aren't really the same thing....

I had a corbin seat, it felt good but was .75" wider at the tank base than stock so even after lowering the bike 1.5" I still couldnt stand flat footed (I'm 5'8"-30" inseam). I sat on Dezzy's Tobin, and it felt nice too, but the Tobins all have (from my observations) a raised section at the back of the seat, designed to hold you closer to the tank so that you don't slide back to the hump/rear seat on hard acceleration. The Corbin is designed for you to sit in the seat, kinda molded to your butt. Not sure if that helps, just my observations.

I don't think I would say that nearly everyone goes for Corbin over Tobin. I believe there are a lot of folks that have Tobin seats here including myself (check out my sig). I also purchased a Corbin set of seats so that my girlfriend would feel better on the back. The question has been posed many times and you will get varying answers about which is better, but I think it depends on what your needs are. The Tobin is great for comfort and looks. A nice mod to an otherwise common piece of equipment. The Corbin is predominantly used by those that like to do lots of traveling and 2 up riding because of the backrest you can get for the passenger. Though I would argue that the Tobin is as comfortable for those longer journeys. Like I said, depends on what your needs are.

I don't think I would say that nearly everyone goes for Corbin over Tobin.  I believe there are a lot of folks that have Tobin seats here including myself (check out my sig).  I also purchased a Corbin set of seats so that my girlfriend would feel better on the back.  The question has been posed many times and you will get varying answers about which is better, but I think it depends on what your needs are.  The Tobin is great for comfort and looks.  A nice mod to an otherwise common piece of equipment.  The Corbin is predominantly used by those that like to do lots of traveling and 2 up riding because of the backrest you can get for the passenger.  Though I would argue that the Tobin is as comfortable for those longer journeys.  Like I said, depends on what your needs are.
Thanks for that first correction. I bet if you do a poll of people who bought seats over the last year, it would be 65% Tobin and 35% Corbin. I was pretty much OK with the stock seat, so I originally bought a corbin rear set-up for comfortable 2-up riding....and I highly reccomend that set-up.

Now, for cosmetic reasons, I bought a Tobin, and WOW! I was shocked at how comfortable it is. It blows away the stock seat. I have had Corbins on other bikes, and my current Tobin is every bit as comfortable as any of them were.

So I hope that helps.

Castin' my vote for Tobin's kick ass seat!
super.gif

tobin_front.jpg

Im going with the tobins just waiting for the weekend to go by so i can send them out.

I have not tried the Corbin, so I can't compare. But I do like my Tobin better than my stock seat. Looks better and feel good, even after a long ride. It lowers my center of gravity about an inch and it helps me get my feet on the pavement better (short inseam). I did have a problem with the color of my first Tobin seat. I picked blue and silver and found that the blue of the seat clashed with the blue of my paint. Don't get the blue seat if you have a blue bike! I sent it back and had a black one made instead. See the next post to see the blue seat.

busa_seat__closeup.jpg

Also notice the blue part in the front of the seat doesn't match up with the paint. Mine is an '01. This color scheme would have been ok for the 2000, I think. Except the blue's still would be off.

bluebusaseat.jpg

He doesn't have a website, but here is the information. He posts on this site as PaFreak, so you can PM him.

Anyone needing a seat modified give me a call or email. Thanks Tobin
Tobin O'Connor
122 South Main Street
York New Salem, PA 17371
1-717-792-3708
I accept PayPal and Money Orders Only.
Seat with exchange are $111.00 this includes shipping.
If you would like to buy a seat without exchange Total is $186.00 this includes shipping in the USA. Call for availability
If paying thru PayPal please add $3.00 for fees Total $114.00 with exchange or $192.00 without exchange.
IF having both front and back seats done with your exchange. Price is $199 this includes shipping. Add $6.00 for PayPal.
Without exchange price is $295.00. Call for availability. Add $9.00 for PayPal fees.
Add $25.00 for logos and $15.00 for lettering
Zippered Hump pad add $55.00
Add $20.00 for Two Tone seats
If you have any further questions feel free to call. Thanks Tobin
All shipping charges are for the Continental United States.
Call or email for shipping prices for outside the USA.
P.S. I have two type's of black material one is glossy and one is dull. Please state, which one you would like on the money order, or in the PayPal commit box.

If you would like to check out the big thread on the Tobin seats here's the link: <a href="https://www.hayabusa.org/cgi-bin/busa/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=9138"> Tobin Seats <a>

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091167750 -->

Click on "Tobin Seats". You probably tried before I was able to edit the post.

And if you need anymore persuasion I am going to order a second set in the darker black.

I'm curious why nearly everyone at this site seems to go with corbin over tobin, whereas at suzukihayabusa.org, they are big time tobin folks. I've never owned a tobin and am wondering how they stack up.

thx in advance!
If you look at the pcs you will find many many using custo Tobin seats, including my Green Dragon. They are great seats and Tobin is great to work with.

I have the Tobin seats. I went with the looks at first, but then found them to be very comfortable. I have put in an 8 hour straight ride and had no problems with my rear hurting other than what would be expected.
I would recommend them. Never had Corbins, so I can not compare.
You can call Tobin direct, he is a good guy to work with and very quick turn time.
my .02

I just posted my Tobin setup last weekend under a topic like hump pad or something.

Love his work.

Thanks for the tobin threak link-- they look great! I'm going with these over the corbins as my second mod (first is ZG screen).

Thought I'd attach this pic to give you another view of the seats to show the construction and give an idea of what the ride may be like.

post_11_95709_DSC00463.jpg

Back