To turbo or not to turbo....

casualdreamer

Registered
Well, searching the site and reading about how fast turbos are but also reading how much of a headache they are also. I am wanting to turn my bike into a track bike but also somewhat streetable. I want to most HP I can get out if it. Money really isn't to great of an issue as of right now. (Have an account designated just for the bike) I know that it is going to take some time maybe years to get her where I want her. But I want her fast and fast as possible and still be able to ride in a pack of fellow riders.
Just don't know which route to go. I am thinking about engine work and not worry about the turbos. I have read where a street engine can be made to make maximum horsepower. I am planning to take the Ricky Gadson drag school sometime in the future so that I have some skill/schooling underneath my belt. Just asking for opinions I guess. I know that there is going to be alot of different opinions but this will be my monster/sleeper that I can take on the strip and the ride it home if I want to while the old lady trailer the trailer home. Thanks for everything...
race.gif

I'm in the middle of putting a turbo on mine now.
from what I have read and everyone that "has one".

as long as you don't get too greedy and push more boost than your motor/fuel setup can handle, then it is safe and very reliable.

some over on sh.org have over 60,000 miles on turbo. sounds like $ isn't a big deal for you so I'd say check with rcc turbos me im a broke bum so I had to build my own.

So it is just the people running the engines harder than they are built for... That is a good thing to know. I don't know leaning into the turbo now. aaaahhhh... You all were right!! When you begin Modding you can't stop. Dang it. Yeah been saving for years for the Busa planned on getting one when I was 25. Went from a 04 Gixxer 1000 to the mad beast. Wiped out bad one day on the track. Bike was paid for the so the issurance paid me a check for $10,000 for the bike(man, love full coverage). Got the busa for 9k in '05 and still the account that I have been saving for it. I love that bike. Seen a lot of them in Okinawa, Japan. Now I want to experience the rush of going down the 1/4 wide open hoping by rolling off the throttle will slow you down
firedevil.gif
a little

*I do not have a turbo but I have heard they are alot dif. at the track. They are a little dif. due to the spooling and I've HEARD they are also more dangerous when the frt. end starts to come off the ground.....because normally you can short shift to bring it back down but w/ turbo they actually make more power when they shift so handling a wheelie full throttle is more challenging.

POWER TO $ TURBO IS CHEAPER THAN MOTOR WORK

*Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this
thumb_up.gif

POWER TO $ TURBO IS CHEAPER THAN MOTOR WORK

*Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this  
thumb_up.gif
I'll let you know.  
winkold.gif

Everything on hold for me with Mikki's surgery but it's still a "good thing" as far as I'm concerend.  
thumb_up.gif

Might be on the shelf for a bit.  
sadnews.gif

r8
TURBO JOHN WAS UP
hello.gif

MIKKI DOING OKAY
hello.gif

hijack.gif
 SORRY
Haven't called yet today. Letting her rest. She was doing great and back to being the boss last night.
laugh.gif

Thank you for asking. And you think Turbo's are expensive? Try an Organ Transplant.
laugh.gif

r8

thumb_up.gif

hello.gif

laugh.gif

Pack up the bike and kit, ship it over, we will get it done....
smile.gif

well for the right price a turbo will give you more than can ever be needed. It'll come down to setup and rider. The good thing about a turbo system is once it's all setup, tunned right, etc you can lower the boost for street/pump gas and just wick it up for the track.

Either way you'll have to tear into the motor. Check your crank really good cause if it isn't perfect it'll be the cause of alot of headaches. Good rods are needed, pistons, gapped (always check this)rings, good head work w/springs, cams, and some message work, clutch work, good built trans, good built oiling system, the right chassis setup, plenty of electronics and then you'll be ready to learn how to ride it.

Make sure you maintain everything right. Frequent oil changes, drop the pan and inspect things, clean your plugs, check / clean your fuel filter, and check for loose bolts. At the end of the first year, rip it apart and check all the bearings. If everything looks good put it all back together and your good for a while longer.

It's alot of money AND time to build, operate, and maintain a high hp turbo bike for race AND street duties.

The problem is you've got conflicting goals...
max hp = turbo system (>600 hp)
sleeper = motor only
something to enjoy on the streets and get some track times = a little spray or a street turbo kit

I'm very interested in a Turbo Busa myself. I've read about and seen Turbos running from 250 to over 700 RWHP on here. Dozens of guys on here really know their stuff and if you have the coin can help you to a trouble free Turbo. I'd never install my own, but lots of guys do and save lots of coin doing it. Good Luck, and keep us advised. From what I've read if you stay below 300 RWHP on a gen I you don't have to crack the case. Anything above that requires engine work. You'll be modding the clutch and probably changing the chain as well. Dave and Cindy seem to be very good and helpful in this area.

I think it is the sleeper route I am going to go...
you want to go small turbo than cause a big ol' airfilter protruding out of your lower fairing is gonna ba a little give away
laugh.gif

you can still run cans with some but i doubt it with the larger turbos

your cheapest stage 1 youll still be pushing 250hp
ThumbsUp.gif
thats a nice sleeper
whistling.gif

if you aint already done it....nose around the turbo section

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=SF;f=21

Back