To many "dumb" people in my town.....

I'm guilty, but no to that extent. I'm fat and i just can't stand wearing my leather icon jacket. So i ride in t-shirt and shorts with helmet and gloves. I'm ashamed of myself. I know it's like putting a rubber on halfway. I just can't find a jacket that fit's me comfortably for the warmer weather. I'm sure one day I'll pay for it.

I have an alpinestars smx air flow jacket and by far it breathes like no other. i dont wear it below 70 or 75. its the best jacket i have ever worn for comfort in hot weather. its kinda pricey but more than worth it. the armour is great as well. construction is outstanding.

Gear saves lives, but common sense is the little bugger that reminds the few that buy also take the time to put it on..That leather jacket hanging up in the closet doesn't do anyone any good.

I hate to say it but you can only help save the people willing to do their part and save themselves. I wouldn't say anyone is "dumb" for not gearing up, but they sure aren't factoring all the what-if moments.

To the OP you get it, sweat washes off! :beerchug:

Berry,

I can certainly see what you are saying and I am not saying I disagree with you. However, I have rode since I was 4 years old, 35 now. My attire is helmet, gloves (fingerless in summer), t-shirt, blue jeans, and tennis shoes.

I have wrecked once back when I was a teenager and just got scuffed up a bit, nothing bad. Should I be wearing more gear? Yea no doubt. I tell you though, it gets so damn hot I don't think I could stand it. That is they joy of riding, the wind on your skin, the open air.

If I am covered up so much I can't move, see, or hell, enjoy myself there is no sense in me riding. Anything can happen and I have said this before, if you are going to plan for the worst it is probably going to happen. If a car blind sides you in an intersection, no amount of gear will help you.

Again, you are right, I am not disputing that, I just can't do it.

Completely feel how you think on this.. respectfully here is some food for thought...

- Alpinestars Supertech R Boots Crash Review from STG[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
It was one of our members here a few years ago if my memory serves me right, that went for a ride one evening after work and always wore all his gear but it was so hot on this paticular evening he chose to ride with a pair of lofers. He hit a deer at 70 mph and tumbled. He ended up with both ankles crushed. A year later he still could not walk. He lost his job, his house, everything.

Was his one and only crash of his long riding career. Bad things happen when you least expect it. Go prepared or stay home is my moto.

I've crashed a number of times and from the looks of my leathers, I'd be a scared up mess if I wasn't prepared. Wearing protective gear is a matter of choice. It's my choice as well to giggle at the poor bloke that is all barked up like a christmas turkey that fell out of a delivery truck. I have no sympathy for folks that think they will never fall. Some don't but most who ride do!

Tuff you make some great points, but here is why I have probably not had that many accidents. I ride for fun, I don't take corners at very excessive speeds that I know the bike may or may not be able to handle. I watch in front, behind, both sides, etc. at ALL times while I am riding. When I slow down or just riding down the road I look behind me to make sure no one is going to tailgate me, etc.

I still have major fun, but I am thinking about 3 miles ahead at all times. You ride safe, or you will be on the local news for sure. If I were out treating the public roads like my personal racetrack, I would be geared to the teeth.

But, I agree, anything can and will happen at some point.

To each their own.

How people can witness first hand the results of a crash and still not gear up is beyond me.

Sometimes I'll go for a ride and be the only one using any leather at all. It is a little odd being the guy who is wrapped in leather when your riding with a bunch of guys in jeans and sweatshirts. However the comfort of the clothing will be far outweighed by the uncomfort of the road rash it doesn't protect you from.

there are only two places i have ridden without a helmet
Myrtle Beach- 15mph and slower on the strip not too bad
and to a car wash- DUMB DUMB DUMB... still regret it.. didnt fall but felt stupid

Gloves are a must no matter where i go and what i'm wearing

and on my way to church every sunday i wear jeans shirt gloves boots helmet..
tiny church... boat load of people.. bout 2 miles from home.. its the only time i dont wear my jacket..

saturday bout 4pm.. found myslef in full gear on a 200 mile ride in bout 90 degrees breeze...

and that tourmaster intake II looks awesome in person cycle gear has them for 180 and 15% military discount... i want it..

there's dumb pple in my town too. it was a blazing 80 degrees over the weekend and i seen a guy with shorts, flip flops,no gloves, no shirt, but he had a helmet on!!! i really wanted to chat with this fella but he was on the other side of the road and i didnt feel like yelling at him :laugh:

You can ride as careful as you want, but they call it an ACCIDENT for a reason...

I always ride careful and know the road is not my personal race track (I'll save that for the squids), but that doesn't mean you'll see me anything short of being fully geared up at all times!

You may have been lucky this far to not have any issues when riding without proper gear, but proper riding gear is kinda like a gun, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
:beerchug:

:rant::deadhorse:I'm just blown away by the amount of "dumb" people in this town. There is a big HD dealership in Wabash and a bunch of bikers were hanging out there on there bikes in the parking lot. 99% of them in tank tops, shorts no helmets, no gloves. My wife just told me she saw some guy in that attire with a 10 year old dressed the same way on the back of it. I just hope law enforcement see's him! I'm sweating my balls off in leather, gloves and a helmet...just hoping none of them wreck.

"your sweating your balls off in leather, gloves and a helmet"

That should answer your question as to why they are dressed the way they are.

Its going to be 95 degrees here today and i usually wear a leather jacket only but probably wont today.

Berry,

I can certainly see what you are saying and I am not saying I disagree with you. However, I have rode since I was 4 years old, 35 now. My attire is helmet, gloves (fingerless in summer), t-shirt, blue jeans, and tennis shoes.

I have wrecked once back when I was a teenager and just got scuffed up a bit, nothing bad. Should I be wearing more gear? Yea no doubt. I tell you though, it gets so damn hot I don't think I could stand it. That is they joy of riding, the wind on your skin, the open air.

If I am covered up so much I can't move, see, or hell, enjoy myself there is no sense in me riding. Anything can happen and I have said this before, if you are going to plan for the worst it is probably going to happen. If a car blind sides you in an intersection, no amount of gear will help you.

Again, you are right, I am not disputing that, I just can't do it.

I agree 100%

It's actually quite funny as my 6 year old calls these people out in public with no shame.

Yeah my 4 yr old does the same..."daddy that guys is not making a good choice not wearing his helmet" What kills me is the guys that have their lid hanging from the back of the bike... just suck it up a wear it. I live in Florida and it's damn hot in Aug. Just have to keep moving:beerchug:

"your sweating your balls off in leather, gloves and a helmet"

That should answer your question as to why they are dressed the way they are.

Its going to be 95 degrees here today and i usually wear a leather jacket only but probably wont today.

I know why... it was a rhetorical question. It however is a free country. People can make whatever choices they want. It is really no harm to me. I understand and respect what grown men and women do. When it's hot, I wear my Icon mesh jacket with armor in it. That's just me. Later on that day I did just that. (Put up the leather and put on the Icon jacket)

I just think it's "dumb". (It's a free country, I'm entitled to a opinion to. LoL...)

I understand that in some states it is illegal not to wear a helmet. Today it got up to 93 degrees and I rode about 175 miles today with a tank top, jeans and tennis shoes.
The wind felt great against my skin and face, i really enjoyed myself.
I hit a deer last year on my 08 busa and did not even go down, thank you lord, I was wearing a tanktop and jeans.
On my kawasaki ZZR-600 I hit the front brake too hard and my bike did a somersault and messed my hand up, no stiches thou , another time i was on my kawasaki 600 riding with a friend and we were entering the on ramp of the highway, I hit a concreat divider doing about fifty mph, sun was in my eyes and friend i was riding with spooked me cuz i thought she was riding to close, cracked my stater cover and oil all over the on ramp, messed my knee up pretty good but was able to push my bike to a gas station where i bought some bandages and wrapped my knee up.
I figure when my times up, its up and I will enjoy myself and with a cool breeze against my skin until then when riding:laugh:

Most accidents happen at low speeds thou like dropping your bike in your driveway or forgetting to put the kickstand down, tripping over the lawn sprinkler like BlancaBusa did when trying to get to your bike or just stupid stuff like that.

The best advice is , take your time, know your surroundings , never show off, cuz ya get hurt that way.:beerchug:

I went on a Shriner's Hospital ride two weeks ago, 300+ harleys and about 20 sportbikes. Another Busa' buddy and I were about 40 yards behind a cruiser with a couple that slowed down on the highway and a chopper behind them that didn't. No helmets, plenty of leather but all three had head injuries. The gal on the back of the cruiser took the worst of it, laid her head open to the skull for about 6 inches. They all lived but won't be nearly as pretty as they were before (that's a joke!). Amazing enough the sport bike riders in full gear (us) were the ones clearing the lanes and directing traffic around the mess. Several cars stopped and were assisting the downed riders, quick compentant healthcare pros just happened to be in the traffic mess. The "bikers" were all standing around scratching their bandana'd heads and pointing. I may just make my donations and not go on the ride anymore...

You can ride as careful as you want, but they call it an ACCIDENT for a reason...

I always ride careful and know the road is not my personal race track (I'll save that for the squids), but that doesn't mean you'll see me anything short of being fully geared up at all times!

You may have been lucky this far to not have any issues when riding without proper gear, but proper riding gear is kinda like a gun, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
:beerchug:

+1000 and N'uff said.

Back