Out of town and lost your key?

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
They dont come very often, but while I was out working on the scooter, a good idea came to mind. I always carry an extra key with me, but what would happen if I lost both of them some how and I was out of town or on a long ride. Well... My spare key had the little plastic tag with the key code for the dealerships or locksmith. I took that little key ring with the tab and hung it on the latch that my front seat goes on. Why there? Well this is my reasoning. I was going to put it in the hump, duh, need the key to get in the hump. Humps out. I didnt want it anywhere in plain site. So, with just about any tool kit (from another bike or store) you can gain access under the front seat. If your not looking for it, you will never notice it. Wala, my key code. I know some people put it in there wallet or otherwise, thats cool. Now I know I will have access to it if I have the bike. Use it if you like the idea.
laugh.gif

Cool, not a bad idea, but I purchased my bike used and dont have the key code!
argue.gif

argue.gif
I believe you can get it with your vin# from the dealership.

I got an E-mail recently about this same kind of thing you could do for getting you car, or truck keys made also.
The only problem was, that the thieves were taking the numbers from on the tag in the window of people's cars, and getting new keys from the dealers and stealing the vehicles with those keys.
ghostface.gif
guns.gif

Does anyone know if they can do the same thing with the numbers for the bikes?
rock.gif
?
That could be a real bummer.
cursin.gif
ghostface.gif

The story told every one to put a piece of electrical tape over the numbers in the window, to cover it up, so the thieves couldn't copy it, and get a extra key made.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

Just my
2cents.gif
whistling.gif

ghostface.gif

thumb_up.gif

argue.gif

I got an E-mail recently about this same kind of thing you could do for getting you car, or truck keys made also.
The only problem was, that the thieves were taking the numbers from on the tag in the window of people's cars, and getting new keys from the dealers and stealing the vehicles with those keys.
ghostface.gif

guns.gif

rock.gif
?
cursin.gif

ghostface.gif

The story told every one to put a piece of electrical tape over the numbers in the window, to cover it up, so the thieves couldn't copy it, and get a extra key made.
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Just my
2cents.gif

whistling.gif
Hmmm anyone ever call in to get the key code? I was wondering what they actually ask as proof you are the actual owner besides just the vin number.. On second thought don't tell me just please say they actually ask more than just the vin number.

On a side note, exactly how many different keys types are there? 4 or 5 comes to mind for some reason?

ghostface.gif

thumb_up.gif

argue.gif

ghostface.gif

guns.gif

rock.gif
?
cursin.gif

ghostface.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Just my
2cents.gif

whistling.gif
Hmmm anyone ever call in to get the key code? I was wondering what they actually ask as proof you are the actual owner besides just the vin number.. On second thought don't tell me just please say they actually ask more than just the vin number.

On a side note, exactly how many different keys types are there? 4 or 5 comes to mind for some reason?
Acyually here at Bmw and the Chevy dealer I use to work for, you had to have your registration or title along with your drivers license to get a new key cut using your vin#. I dont know about bikes though.
woot.gif

ghostface.gif

thumb_up.gif

each year has less than 10 different key codes...a theif could buy a key to your bike for under $50 if he has a friend at the dealership to just get him one of every key.

I got mine tattooed on my chest.
biggrin.gif
I just hope Suzi and I never break up.

Seriously, though, good idea, Chris. I like the cell phone idea too.

each year has less than 10 different key codes...a theif could buy a key to your bike for under $50 if he has a friend at the dealership to just get him one of every key.
Your kidding, right?

God, I hope so anyway.  That would take all the hard work out of theivery.  

Chris
that's the expensive way to steal your bike man. Easy way is to find a bike with the steering unlocked and without any external locks...and bring an ignition you bought from ebay along. Just reach down below the ignition switch and find the plug....unhook your stock switch, and plug in my ebay switch with key..

Vroom vroom away I go.

Now you knwo the importance of locking your steering, alarms and disc locks.

Back