To hit a deer or not to hit a deer...

I was expecting to hit this one. My only thoughts were not to let the deer knock me off the road and keep the bike upright. It jumped at the last second.

- BusaWhipped vs Deer.wmv[/url]

I hope you were wearing brown leathers...:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the middle of deer central, never hit one with a bike. Another guy on my road hits them regular... Some of my friends have been hit by the deer, its the runners that get you. +1000 heavy on the brakes, slide behind the lead doe, and watch for the rest of the pack. Don't tailgate or you will run into a dead one. Watch out for twilight. Extra care in the rut. Anything over a buck & its up to your luck on our curves. I figure I'd lock elbows & get off the brakes & back on the gas @ moment of impact to get the front up & regain momentum. Works on dogs....

This was exactly how i wrecked my first busa, i had no time to brake and stop in time as i was going way way way faster than i should have been for the particular road, i chose a gentle swerve and cleared him:thumbsup: Then slid the back tire out on some gravel slid a few hundred feet and ate gaurd rail, followed by the bike eating me and the guard rail.

How the hell does this happen? Just like sucked the deer in. Mustve been going 100+
Caution, a bit graphic.
- BMW eats male deer[/url]

I was expecting to hit this one. My only thoughts were not to let the deer knock me off the road and keep the bike upright. It jumped at the last second.

- BusaWhipped vs Deer.wmv[/url]

Wow!!!!

Simple odd's, assuming the deer isnt locked into your headlights and frozen...

Trying to guess which way a deer WONT go is 50% odds your going to hit him.. as you can try left or right, you have removed standing still from the equation... in this case, the deer not moving would be the same as further left or right from your decision... (ie if you choose left, and he doesnt move, the deer has decided to move not very far to your right)

choosing to go straight, and giving the deer the choice of left or right suddenly means there is a 33% chance the deer will hit you as there are now 3 possible choices... left, right, or doesnt move...

Straight also gives you maximum braking ability compared to any swerve combined with brakes...

If the deer is not frozen, the correct choice is straight...
statistical proof to aim for the ribcage.

where i live deer are everywhere. i have run over two of them so far (in ford explorer) and I can tell you they are unpredictable IMO. for the OP, if i encountered a deer coming out of a turn i would get the bike up straight, hit horn while braking hard trying to keep traction lol. deer suck :laugh: one jumped out in front of my dad while he was headin to work mid winter toward washington pa. mashed the windshield all to hell and he had to drive rest of way there and back with head out window:laugh:

Just posted on another thread with a vid.

I hit deer twice and rode it out, did not go down.

About the OP question of what decision you make before you hit a deer, I think there is no time to make decisions. You will find out after the incident what you did and whether you did the right thing, as it happens so fast that you are in the hands of reflexes and experience.

You can't get this experience on the road, but you can get it on a woods bike where unexpected stuff happens all the time and crashing is part of the fun.

How the hell does this happen? Just like sucked the deer in. Mustve been going 100+
Caution, a bit graphic.
- BMW eats male deer[/url]

BMW vs Malw deer?

Please suscribe?

Bad spelling on youtube for all to continually see= Priceless

Back