To hit a deer or not to hit a deer...

busa186

Registered
So, I heard a story of a guy who hit a deer and rode it out, then I hear a story about a guy swerving to miss and ended up in the ditch. My question is what would you do and why.

I want to know if this is similar to "good job laying it down" In my mind I would do whatever I could to avoid the deer, but would it be better to hit it strait on to avoid oncoming traffic and a guard rail...

Well, I am not going to swerve into oncoming traffic to miss one. At least not intentionally. Nor do I want to eat guard rail. If I could keep my mind about me, I would brake and hunker down to prepare for impact. Besides, if I swerve to miss a deer and total my bike, insurance counts it, if I actually hit the deer and total my bike, its comprehensive and doest count. Go figure.

So, I heard a story of a guy who hit a deer and rode it out, then I hear a story about a guy swerving to miss and ended up in the ditch. My question is what would you do and why.

I want to know if this is similar to "good job laying it down" In my mind I would do whatever I could to avoid the deer, but would it be better to hit it strait on to avoid oncoming traffic and a guard rail...

I made this decision last night. I was coming back from dinner with my girlfriend on the back, and we decided to take the back roads home. Lots of farms and apple orchards out that way, so I was taking it pretty easy (for the most part). Anyway, We came around a corner into a straight and I started to open it up, then out popped a pretty good sized doe.

There's not a lot of time to ponder your options, but a lot of thoughts can go through your head in those microseconds. I dug my knees into the sides of the tank and tried to make myself as much of an airbag as possible for the love of my life. I thought, "Christ, that is a big-assed doe!" I thought about going right, then left. But I wasn't gonna get stopped and it was clear that that crazy split-tail had no idea what she was going to do. If I swerved, I needed to come off the brakes and I didn't want to hit that hard. So I decided. We were going to either cut her in half or I was going to ride over her. Either way, I was going to be slowed down when we made contact.

Straight up, hard braking without locking it. I just didn't have time to safely swerve and the deer didn't really seem to know which way it was going to be moving. My decision was to slow down as much as I could and try to hold the bike straight. I have swerved to miss them before, but they were moving in an obvious direction. Luckily this one darted right just as we were about to meet at 30ish MPH.

I hope I (or you) don't have to ponder the topic too many times in our long and happy lives. My girlfriend did great. Didn't tense up, didn't start flailing. Just held on tighter and gave me a "Woohoo!" I **** you not. She's awesome.

Always remember that a deer cannot naturally move backwards. So if you're gonna hit one, aim for the rear giving the critter a chance to jump away...

I know this from experience.

If you see a deer, NEVER SWERVE OR BRAKE, give it more throttle without swerving.

Always remember that a deer cannot naturally move backwards. So if you're gonna hit one, aim for the rear giving the critter a chance to jump away...

Seriously? Thats good know. I had no idea. Not being smart azz, I really didnt know.

When one is facing you looking right and left and making like Bambi on ice, that's easier said than done. And I disagree about throttling exclusively. Had I throttled last night, I'd have most likely hit the doe rather than barely miss her.

So how'd the story end? Happily I hope!
I've found the horn is pretty much useless with 'em,but so far-knock on wood-if I've got enough time to pull in the clutch and let 'em hear the Brocks ShortMeg knockin' on the limiter they can't get outta the way fast enough. But as you know, they don't always give ya enough warning.

Just think it through. You cannot predict what a deer will do. There's usually more than one. Making some noise might help motivate said deer. I would have to trim all the speed I could, and if at all possible aim for the ham area. I don't ride a lot at night. Where I live we have way too many deer. You should be sensitive to seeing their eyes at night and constantly scanning ahead as well as side to side. Hedge rows are the worse. You never know what's running full speed for the road behind them.

For the bloke that says a deer cannot easily move backwards I'd like to point out they may not walk backwards but they can spin on a dime leaving 9 cents change and go back the way they were coming from.

I believe there is a best way to approach a deer whether it's standing or moving. Deer as a prey item are designed to avoid preditors and they are panther quick. We have deer everywhere up here and they are a hazard, no doubt.

Hold your line and brake as hard as you can just in case there is an impact as well as giving the deer as much time as possible to make it's mind up. 99 times out of a hundred the deer will avoid impact on it's own. I've known a number of guys who hit a deer trying to avoid it. I know of no one who has hit a deer by holding their line and allowing the deer to do the work.

2 sawed off shotguns with slug rounds mounted in the ram air tubes!!! Boom boom now you
No longer have a deer infront... Now its just a fury speed bump and tonights dinner!! :rofl:

Hold your line and brake as hard as you can just in case there is an impact as well as giving the deer as much time as possible to make it's mind up. 99 times out of a hundred the deer will avoid impact on it's own. I've known a number of guys who hit a deer trying to avoid it. I know of no one who has hit a deer by holding their line and allowing the deer to do the work.

Simple odd's, assuming the deer isnt locked into your headlights and frozen...

Trying to guess which way a deer WONT go is 50% odds your going to hit him.. as you can try left or right, you have removed standing still from the equation... in this case, the deer not moving would be the same as further left or right from your decision... (ie if you choose left, and he doesnt move, the deer has decided to move not very far to your right)

choosing to go straight, and giving the deer the choice of left or right suddenly means there is a 33% chance the deer will hit you as there are now 3 possible choices... left, right, or doesnt move...

Straight also gives you maximum braking ability compared to any swerve combined with brakes...

If the deer is not frozen, the correct choice is straight...

Yes. A deer is a formidable object but compared to oncoming traffic or a guardrail the deer is the most survivable of the three. You won't ride through a deer but it might just move outta the way and if impact does occur you won't be stopped cold as you would with an oncoming vehicle or a guard rail.

Best option, slow it down as much as possible. I even like to stop short of the deer, watch it look at you inquisitively before it saunters off the road, continue on your way after changing shorts. Done this many times along with counting my lucky stars. :) Thankfully, my "close calls" have all been with enough time to brake to zero, but I would stay on the brakes straight up to impact in any case. Hitting with less speed is always better than hitting with more speed and the only thing that you can DEFINITELY do is scrub off speed. There's no way that you guarantee that you'll swerve around the thing/predict what it will do.

i can't remember who it was but i saw a Nascar driver being interviewed when i was a teenager and just starting to drive (yes, i grew up in the South :thumbsup:) that was asked how he managed to avoid cars that wrecked right in front of him...i'm paraphrasing but he replied, "I aim for where they are and by the time I get there, they should be gone." it made a lot of sense to me and has worked out so far...i've only had to split two deer one time so far, i aimed for the first ones rump and went between them just as she jumped out of the way...i think that's the only time i have ever had to pull over for a couple minutes and calm down :laugh:

I have never gone up against some thing that large. Largest thing I have a collision with is a large dog, tried to stop was able to reduce a little speed he didn't move even with the horn. When moment of impact was assured I ended up having to give it throttle to stay upright and in control. But I guess every situation would be different.

But for dear you may need a little extra UUmmmppphh and for that what you need is right here

fighterjetmotorcycle.jpg

With this bad boy all you got to is shread that bastid in a hail of full metal jackets and ride right on through make sure wash yourself and the bike afterwards :laugh:

fighterjetmotorcycle.jpg

For the bloke that says a deer cannot easily move backwards I'd like to point out they may not walk backwards but they can spin on a dime leaving 9 cents change and go back the way they were coming from.

I believe there is a best way to approach a deer whether it's standing or moving. Deer as a prey item are designed to avoid preditors and they are panther quick. We have deer everywhere up here and they are a hazard, no doubt.

I live in deer country and I agree completely! Hold line, scrub speed, and let the deer avoid you otherwise "brace brace brace - for impact"... if you have time to think about swerving or dumping the bike you probably have time to scrub plenty of speed for the deer to pass safely one way or the other.

I was expecting to hit this one. My only thoughts were not to let the deer knock me off the road and keep the bike upright. It jumped at the last second.

- BusaWhipped vs Deer.wmv[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back