To gear or not...

Rocketman

Registered
Wifey and I went on a little stroll on the busa tonight here in the Provo area. We came up on some 'stud' riding a CBR100RR... (nice bike) (stud=squid) He's got a nice Joe Rocket with the pads and such. Good riding boots with Jeans... noddin his head like - 'oh yeah...'

But then - NO HELMET! He's got Raybans on - looking cool... in Provo traffic? That's a "Hey! Hit me!" sign for all the BYU newlyweds. (Provo has the worst drivers on the planet.)

He see's the wifey and I and decides he's going to show off a bit. Dials it on pretty strong and off he goes... My wife opens her visor and says - "what a moron! all that gear - and no helmet!"

My point - if you're going to be half smart and not wear a helmet, might as well leave the padded jacket at home because the body without the brain - just doesn't work. HULLO!!

That was just a headshaker for me as we enjoyed the warm evenin on the busa. Thought I'd share...

rant.gif

He might have slipped the helmet off without you noticing so he could bow accordingly to your Busa. No really, it happens sometimes.

Yah - I'm with you on the lid without a jacket. Just thought it was weird to see all the gear - no helmet.

If you returned home for lid then the squid has been defeated...

<!--EDIT|STUNNAH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147611836 -->

Even if it were legal here in NC, I couldn't see myself not wearing a helmet.

I'm always surprised at how many people I see who don't wear gloves too.

A helmet and gloves are a MUST in my book.

Hawaii has no helmet law and I have been just cruisin around town a few times with only shorts, t shirt and a ball cap but I dont recommend it. Here in Calif I have seen guys with a leather riding jacket, shorts and flip flops.
rock.gif

Just like the the old dentist jingle : " You dont have to floss all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep "
wow.gif

So help me finish this : You dont have to ...

If I wanna go nekkid, I'll just take the fairings off.
smile.gif

For me, it's all gear, all the time. Some one here says it in signature...
You don't plan on crashing, you prepare for it.

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147620471 -->

wouldnt be here if it wasnt for a lid and since my one and only accident i have a problem with my short term.....what was this tread about?

We do not have a helmet law in Illinois, and it seems like I am one of the only ones around here that wears all my gear... pretty sad, but I like my skin just where it is...
tounge.gif

I was out riding last Saturday, and dropped by the MSF Safety course, which I took last year and became good friends with the older couple which teaches the course... There happened to be a guy there who was 72 yo, had never ridden and decided to learn! I thought way cool
cool.gif
as I sat there talking to the instructors wife, she told me that least week there was an older guy that had a bad spill. He goosed it while going over the 2x4 obstacles and went down (maybe doing 15 MPH). He only had on "gardening gloves" and an old jacket... He peeled the skin back on both his hands, and they sent him off to the hospital... He called back next morning saying he will not be able to come in to finish the course, as he found out he has a broken elbow too...
sad.gif

once again, I'm here to represent the Black Sheep squad-
I ride with my gloves (Icon Chassis Skull-not leather, fabric) and Icon Motorhead Skull jacket (cuz my girl it for me, and its still fuggin cold here in WI) most days.
IF it ever gets warm here, I will go to just gloves bcuz that's how I like to ride, and in WI I have the right to ride in shorts n flip-flops wearin sum plastic Wal Mart glasses if i want.
AND-in case no one here saw my post previously-I dumped my bike last year, at 50mph, threw it into the curb after rear end started slidin and wanted to hit the grass not gravel-made it into the dirt, slammed down on my side (wearing my favorite t-" I think that Stripper really Likes Me" and jeans w/gloves and goggles) and tore thru the dirt like 100feet, almost hit a tree. twisted neck and bruised my side really bad, thats it-i rolled the whole way with my arms covering my dome-three lil scratches is the only hint that i wasn't waering a lid.
It took two n a half months to healed up; jumped back on the bike after bout 6 weeks n took short trips. After fully healed (according to dr anyway) I went back to weightliftn and ridn whenever weather permited-just as nekkid as I the weather allowed. Thats how I wanna ride, and up here, nobody can stop me.

BUT I DONT FEEL BETTER THAN ANY1 ELSE JUST BECUZ I RIDE LIKE THIS-TO EACH HIS OWN, I AINT CALLN ANYONE STUPID FOR ENJOYN HIM/HERSELF AND ANYONE THAT DOES-THEY'RE TOO PIUS FOR ME TO TALK TO. EVER. YOU WANA WEAR A RACE SUIT TO GO RIDE, FINE, BUT DONT GIVE ME CRAP FOR NOT WANTING TO BE AS COOL AS YOU.:angry:

Call me a Wus, but I've hit the earth hard in the past, so I suit up 99.5% of the time. Honestly, I try to budget myself between mods and Gear..and if its ever a toss up between getting a better mod or better gear...Gear always wins.

I could care less if people think I over dress, it is not their @ss on the line. I try to buy the best that I can, because honestly - Im worth it & I like to have all my body parts working & I don't like pain...in fact pain just plain suckss. Every once in awhile, I do wear heavy jeans for a ride, but been moving away from this practice, as it is just not worth the risk to me not to be in my Leathers.

Gear
--------
- Shoei X-11 Vermeulen Helmet
- Alpinestars Leather Twin Pant (Best Leather pant I've ever owned - Period!)
- Alpinestars Compression Shirt & Pants (breathable, and no chaffing from leathers)
- Alpinestars Perforated Stunt Jacket (For temps over 75F)
- Alpinestars Non-Perforated Dyno Jacket (For temps below 75F & bad weather)
- Alpinestars SP-1 Glove (Being replaced with Helimot 365 glove)
- Sidi Vertigo Race Boot
- Sidi Water Wicking Socks
- Trico fire proof socks
- Balaclava for cold days
- Bohn back protector

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: "Grab must be smokin somethin...lol"|1147662867 -->

hey Valium- yer a Wuss.

there, are you happy I did what you said now?
biggrin.gif

j/k bro, if you like ridn geared up, its your $$, your a$$, and what makes you comfortable. Thats all that matters when you're out there in the twisties.:;):

Back