TN elementary school blots out "in God we trust"

The main thing the Bible teaches is how anything can become corrupt when enough indulgence. Alittle money is fine, but alot usually sours people.

Okay, that's a reasonable interpretation that seems to make money acceptable. I still find it curious that somehow god's name was placed on U.S. money to begin with...I suspect to help give it legitimacy.

1What about the First Ammendment "no establishment of religion by government" aspect?

2There's nothing wrong with personal faith or belief in a deity. There most certainly is with forcing those beliefs on others. In this case, there's nothing wrong with a child professing the religious beliefs he/she has been indoctrinated with on a piece of paper - though then hanging these pieces of paper in a government sponsored provider of education is concerning. It is unfortunate that most of these children will probably leave this event with the "us against them" mentality, vs. the "It's disrespectful to push personal beliefs on others." message.

3Inclusion, respect, and tolerance for different beliefs, or lack thereof, to what small degree this is present in the U.S., is one of the biggest reasons we enjoy the level of stability in our society that we do today. Religious beliefs, or lack thereof, are a personal choice...not something a local school should be teaching, promoting, or hanging on its walls.

Again...just for a second...imagine the outrage here if one, two, or a hundred of those students instead wrote "In Allah We Trust" on the bottom of their posters. There would be riots in the streets in some parts of the U.S. if that occurred. For that reason alone, there is a reason to prohibit such displays in a school hallway.

4Odd how bigotry and intolerance never made it into the ten commandments as sins. I guess those are necessary to some degree for the promotion of any religion.

1 The fact that they put "In God we trust" on our currency helps support my belief that our founding fathers intended for there to be no set religion. But the belief in God was never at question and was given credit for how far we've came.

2 The students putting that on their paper were no more forcing God on anyone that people putting rainbow stickers on their bumpers. They censored these kids as if they put a curse word on their paper. Is that how you see the word God? Are kids today allowed to be gay? Yes. Are they allowed to tell people? Yes. Are they allowed to put rainbow stickers on their notebooks or book bags? Yes. Furthermore isn't this the phrase from our currency? So what would the school do if the kid taped a one dollar bill to his poster? What I think these kids are gonna come away from this feeling is that God is taboo and isn't to be mentioned or talked about. And isn't NOT allowing kids to use the word God actually forcing Atheism on them?

3 So I guess the "tolerance" only works one way!

4 God does tell us to love others as ourself.

As is promotion of one brand of religion over another for other individuals?

Regarding the "god on money" thing...doesn't it say somewhere in the bible something about the love of money being the root of all evil? Shouldn't those who follow the teachings of this book be outraged by the inclusion of god's name on such an obviously forbidden creation of man?

I suspect this is pointless, but please forgive, or at least tolerate, my questions as I try to understand this system of beliefs.

I hope I'm not coming across like I'm trying to beat up on you. I'm not I promise. You have some valid questions that do have valid answers. The fact that they put God on our currency was to be a reminder of who is responsible for our country. And as CTA said it's the LOVE of money that is bad. God WAS a big part of our country at one time and the thought that someday people would want it removed would be outrageous.

intolerance swings both ways... I find most of this type of thing intolerable when you have groups crying PC on one hand and then complaining when things are done they feel infringe upon their personal beliefs.. they can not have it both ways...

You didn't respond to 3.5? That was the most important paragraph.

Again...what a child writes on a piece of paper is different than what a school administrator allows to be displayed on the walls of a public building that exists for the benefit of all, regardless of religious choice or lack thereof. Freedom of speech is important, but that doesn't mean it's okay to yell "fire" in a theater.

No one is stopping that child from displaying that artwork on their refrigerator at home. No gay child is allowed to put drawings of sodomy on the walls of the school either. And yes, people can and do display a number of things on their personal vehicles. Government vehicles are a different story though.

The founding fathers were long dead when "In God We Trust" first appeared on the national currency of the U.S.

I believe you're correct in that the Bible reads we should love others as ourselves. That seems overlooked by some of the more zealous practicioners of faith out there.

Kind of like this guy...his message is lost because he "forgot" to add the sin of gluttony to his sign:

_DSC8160.jpg

I hope I'm not coming across like I'm trying to beat up on you. I'm not I promise. You have some valid questions that do have valid answers. The fact that they put God on our currency was to be a reminder of who is responsible for our country. And as CTA said it's the LOVE of money that is bad. God WAS a big part of our country at one time and the thought that someday people would want it removed would be outrageous.

It's all good here. I appreciate the respectful dialogue. It is not my intent to challenge anyone's religious beliefs so much as it is to point out that there is something to consider beyond the emotionally charged "I'm being persecuted for my religious beliefs." aspect of this story.

I think we can all agree that we don't want the government teaching our children religion. That's because every one of us has a unique relationship with our own personal view of what God is or isn't. Few of us would likely appreciate finding scriptures from the Koran engraved into the walls of our local post office either. There seems to me to be a legitimate arguement for religious neutrality in government buildings...a public school fits that description.

There is this idea that god has been removed from our culture. From what I've read, it seems the opposite has been the case. "Under God" was not originally in the pledge of allegiance. "In God We Trust" was not originally on national currency. It seems that removing God from our government is not something we should feel threatened by, as the opposite has occurred.

Again, thanks for the discourse.

It's all good here. I appreciate the respectful dialogue. It is not my intent to challenge anyone's religious beliefs so much as it is to point out that there is something to consider beyond the emotionally charged "I'm being persecuted for my religious beliefs." aspect of this story.

I think we can all agree that we don't want the government teaching our children religion. That's because every one of us has a unique relationship with our own personal view of what God is or isn't. Few of us would likely appreciate finding scriptures from the Koran engraved into the walls of our local post office either. There seems to me to be a legitimate arguement for religious neutrality in government buildings...a public school fits that description.

There is this idea that god has been removed from our culture. From what I've read, it seems the opposite has been the case. "Under God" was not originally in the pledge of allegiance. "In God We Trust" was not originally on national currency. It seems that removing God from our government is not something we should feel threatened by, as the opposite has occurred.

Again, thanks for the discourse.

I believe they added "In God We Trust" during/after WWII. I know I should look it up to find the actual date, but im being lazy. Just wanted to add that little bit of info. :thumbsup:

I believe they added "In God We Trust" during/after WWII. I know I should look it up to find the actual date, but im being lazy. Just wanted to add that little bit of info. :thumbsup:

Wasn't it during the wonderful McCarthy era?

Wasn't it during the wonderful McCarthy era? (edit....paper money)

U.S. Treasury - Fact Sheet on the History of"In God We Trust"

From the treasury dept.

Good find. I was mistaken when I put the "In God We Trust" quote. I actually ment to put the "one nation under god" comment. The "under God" part of the pledge was added In 1954, Congress after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus, added the words, 'under God,' to the Pledge.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe!

i am amazed that the separation of church and state.....a basic principle, and one so important that our fore fathers defined it in the First Ammendment. is so often mis-understood.....yet so passionately argued.

it says in the US Constitution that the government cannot support "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

plains and simple....the government cannot support, or prohibit your exercise of your religion.....

by allowing a reference to god, in a school paper or presentation you are promoting religion...

it always makes me laugh that people have no problem with promoting religion,as long as its thier religion and thier god....these same people that are outraged at the censorship of the word god....would not be complaining if the phrase "allah al akbar" was on one of those posters

Back