TN elementary school blots out "in God we trust"

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
An elementary school in TN has banned the words "In God We Trust" and "God Bless the USA" from even the students posters.

Elementary blots out 'In God We Trust'

here is the before and after pics

030309posters.jpg

Man that is just crazy, it says it on our currancy and like it says it is our national motto, what is wrong with people?

I'm pretty sure the 1st Amendment applies to kids too!
Read the Constitution!
It's the :rulez:

It's ridiculous how things like this can even happen. The Founding Fathers would NOT be happy with "us" right now.

Blah Blah Blah...

Isn't there a beer somewhere that needs drank, a sidewalk shoveled, a Ride to take?

Must be, cause I just cannot muster even a little tiny bit of GAS regarding a school in TN.

:beerchug: There's a beer somewhere, it needs drank... Find it.

Another strike for the liberals that want to ruin the USA.

Revlis - My bear got warm. Got another you can bring to me. :laugh:

I am ashamed of my state - jeez the PC crowd again goes overboard. Would never happen at my daughters public elementary school just 60 miles away - we have a really good principle here who doesn't play with the PC crowd...

:shutup:

(That represents what I've been instructed to do when this subject pops up)

I'm surprised to read this occurred in TN. They're pretty god fearing down there.

I wonder what the reaction would have been had a Muslim student created those invitations with the phrase "In Allah
We Trust" on them?

I guess so long as the phrase reflects what some of us believe, it's ludicrous that it should be censored.

Last edited:
AS someone already pointed out, In God we trust is on our money, so I guess they don't need money either!!!

It's just one more step to getting God out of the country. It's been on our money and in our constitution, and in the pledge. Why does that word offend some people so much that they would deface a childs poster to cover it up.

I'm surprised these people dont take a marker and deface every dollar they get.:rulez:

Isn't this sensorship in violation of this individuals 1st Amendments Rights?

As is promotion of one brand of religion over another for other individuals?

Regarding the "god on money" thing...doesn't it say somewhere in the bible something about the love of money being the root of all evil? Shouldn't those who follow the teachings of this book be outraged by the inclusion of god's name on such an obviously forbidden creation of man?

I suspect this is pointless, but please forgive, or at least tolerate, my questions as I try to understand this system of beliefs.

As is promotion of one brand of religion over another for other individuals?

Regarding the "god on money" thing...doesn't it say somewhere in the bible something about the love of money being the root of all evil? Shouldn't those who follow the teachings of this book be outraged by the inclusion of god's name on such an obviously forbidden creation of man?

I suspect this is pointless, but please forgive, or at least tolerate, my questions as I try to understand this system of beliefs.

1 Timothy 6:9,10 NKJV

9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

To me this doesn't make money evil, but the lust of money for material purposes can cause a person to give into evil. Many times people become so hung up on wealth it pulls them away from faith. Money leads to greed and greed is against the teachings of the bible. The Christian faith teaches that people should be content with what they have and put God first. Many times the search for wealth leads a person to do things that are legally and morally wrong. Money and wealth should be considered gifts from God and used to do God's work.

Okay, that's a reasonable interpretation that seems to make money acceptable. I still find it curious that somehow god's name was placed on U.S. money to begin with...I suspect to help give it legitimacy.

What about the First Ammendment "no establishment of religion by government" aspect?

CTA_Busa_LE you quote Thomas Jefferson...a wise man...

(from Wikipedia..citations available)

In his 1787 Notes on the State of Virginia, Jefferson stated: "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world..."

Jefferson sought what he called a "wall of separation between Church and State," which he believed was a principle expressed by the First Amendment. This phrase has been cited several times by the Supreme Court in its interpretation of the Establishment Clause.[55]

(end wikipedia reference)

There's nothing wrong with personal faith or belief in a deity. There most certainly is with forcing those beliefs on others. In this case, there's nothing wrong with a child professing the religious beliefs he/she has been indoctrinated with on a piece of paper - though then hanging these pieces of paper in a government sponsored provider of education is concerning. It is unfortunate that most of these children will probably leave this event with the "us against them" mentality, vs. the "It's disrespectful to push personal beliefs on others." message.

Inclusion, respect, and tolerance for different beliefs, or lack thereof, to what small degree this is present in the U.S., is one of the biggest reasons we enjoy the level of stability in our society that we do today. Religious beliefs, or lack thereof, are a personal choice...not something a local school should be teaching, promoting, or hanging on its walls.

Again...just for a second...imagine the outrage here if one, two, or a hundred of those students instead wrote "In Allah We Trust" on the bottom of their posters. There would be riots in the streets in some parts of the U.S. if that occurred. For that reason alone, there is a reason to prohibit such displays in a school hallway.

Odd how bigotry and intolerance never made it into the ten commandments as sins. I guess those are necessary to some degree for the promotion of any religion.

Last edited:
F=MA posted his excellent response while I was reading the wikipedia listing. Here it is if people want to read it. Some boring stuff and some very enlightening information. Separation of church and state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus F=MA asks a very valid question concerning "what if". Let's also ask if the child or children had put a reference to Budda, what would everyone's reaction be? We all know there would be cries of dissent. Are there Buddists that are protected by the Constitution? Yes. Are there Muslims protected by the Constitution? Yes. We could go on and on about that. The point is a certain religious belief should not be seen as being endorsed by a tax payer funded entity.

Okay, that's a reasonable interpretation that seems to make money acceptable. I still find it curious that somehow god's name was placed on U.S. money to begin with...I suspect to help give it legitimacy.

What about the First Ammendment "no establishment of religion by government" aspect?

CTA_Busa_LE you quote Thomas Jefferson...a wise man...

(from Wikipedia..citations available)

In his 1787 Notes on the State of Virginia, Jefferson stated: "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world..."

Jefferson sought what he called a "wall of separation between Church and State," which he believed was a principle expressed by the First Amendment. This phrase has been cited several times by the Supreme Court in its interpretation of the Establishment Clause.[55]

(end wikipedia reference)

There's nothing wrong with personal faith or belief in a deity. There most certainly is with forcing those beliefs on others. In this case, there's nothing wrong with a child professing the religious beliefs he/she has been indoctrinated with on a piece of paper - though then hanging these pieces of paper in a government sponsored provider of education is concerning. It is unfortunate that most of these children will probably leave this event with the "us against them" mentality, vs. the "It's disrespectful to push personal beliefs on others." message.

Inclusion, respect, and tolerance for different beliefs, or lack thereof, to what small degree this is present in the U.S., is one of the biggest reasons we enjoy the level of stability in our society that we do today. Religious beliefs, or lack thereof, are a personal choice...not something a local school should be teaching, promoting, or hanging on its walls.

Again...just for a second...imagine the outrage here if one, two, or a hundred of those students instead wrote "In Allah We Trust" on the bottom of their posters. There would be riots in the streets in some parts of the U.S. if that occurred. For that reason alone, there is a reason to prohibit such displays in a school hallway.

Odd how bigotry and intolerance never made it into the ten commandments as sins. I guess those are necessary to some degree for the promotion of any religion.

Last edited:
Back