title/tax/licensing question........

BusaHaya402

Registered
ok lil story for background info first...i bought my last bike (CBR954) cash up front and received title that day......now, of course the title was in the last person's name, and i never registered and plated the machine as long as i owned it (i had insurance tho) -- now i have no idea why i never thought of it, but when i went to sell the bike, since the title was never reprinted in MY name i couldnt sign it over to the new buyer, therefore i had to go to the DMV and they hit me with the sales tax amount since date of purchase (i told em the bike had been in the shop and off the street - thats why i never plated it)...........ok now for my question

i am financing a brand new hayabusa, so the title will not be in MY name for a few years, and i dont really plan on registering/plating this one either.......note: i WILL have insurance.......so basically, what if i hold off and dont even pay sales tax, register OR plate the machine for say, 3 yrs? will they hit me with some ungodly amount since im so far after date of purchase? or would it be possible for me to go to the DMV and pay ONLY sales tax, but ride away with no plates - how strict are they in forcing you to buy plates (of course its against the law, but will they let me take that risk??) i can see if i paid cash for the machine and needed the title switched over to my name, proving i am the rightful owner........but since the title belongs to suzuki or bank or whoever i dont see how it should matter all that much...............what if i NEVER pay any taxes or registration fees, and the time comes when the bike is paid off, will the lein-holder hand the title over to me no questions asked??

basically, im not looking for an easy way out, no......and i will pay taxes, purchase plates etc etc IF and only IF that will be the smartest decision to make and will avoid hassles and problems in the long run.......but if i can get by without doing it i dont see it as very important, sorry..........any advice or feedback is welcome, thanks in advance.

This has got to be a TROLL.
rock.gif

No Tax = No Title.
Every new auto or bike comes with a Certificate of Origin that is then turned into a title by your state DMV .
You pay a seperate fee for the title above plate charges and taxes.
No title for finance company , no bike for you.
And if you are a troll get back under the bridge, we pay our taxes here.

ok im obviously going to do the proper thing now and pay taxes/buy plates.........

so when i go to the DMV dont i pay the sales tax (like 7% in my state) PLUS fees for the actual license plate and sticker PLUS wheel tax and the registration (like the pink slip for a car).......do i got this correct, cuz i believe the only money my dealership figured in was the 17 dollars it take to create the title at the DMV........

by the way, sorry for the stupid post, im just trying to learn my facts and get my shyt straight.............

<!--EDIT|BusaHaya402
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119789325 -->

i dont know why im a troll (or even what the fucc it is) for trying to learn something for future reference........(see my post above) thanks for the replies.....

I guess we are confused about your reluctance to get tags, you got a warrant out or something, or a judgement agfainst you so you don't want your bike taken away..I'm confused.

<!--EDIT|wickedsprint
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119790819 -->

I guess we are confused about your reluctance to get tags, you got a warrant out or something, or a judgement agfainst you so you don't want your bike taken away..I'm confused.
nope no warrants or judgements now.....

but around here, it seems cops hardly even pull over bikes without plates (ive had em follow me and whatnot) so i kinda just figured "why spend all that money to be legal if no cop cares if i got a plate hangin off the back of my bike or not"

but, regarding the fees i must pay, please see my post about 3 above this one.........thanks

When you register the vehicle the title will be in your name.
The finance company will have a lien on the vehicle, which means they have a financial intrest in the bike and hold the title till all payments are made in full.
After the bike is paid off ,they sign off on the title that there is no longer a lien and send it to you.

We sure couldn't get away with not registering, titling, or paying taxes here in Virginia. With my luck (or lack there of), if I attempted to ride without a plate I wouldn't make it 10 miles without being pulled over.

but around here, it seems cops hardly even pull over bikes without plates (ive had em follow me and whatnot) so i kinda just figured "why spend all that money to be legal if no cop cares if i got a plate hangin off the back of my bike or not"
So you kinda just figured why bother getting plates??

First off, whoever is telling you that cops don't bother pulling people over with plates is a fuk'n moron who is blowing smoke up yer arse. He might have been riding on the street without tags and a cop was near him and not noticed it, and he thought he was so lucky or that they just didn't bother pulling him over....which shows how much of an idiot he is.

Here in Chicago cops watch ALL bikes for valid registration because all our plates expire in March statewide. It isn't like cars, they don't expire the month you paid for them...these ALL expire in March so for the first few months of Spring cops get behind EVERY biker to check their tags....I know because I got pulled over on my R6 the day before I traded it in for my Hayabusa and my plates were 2 months expired.

Just go get plates and don't risk the fines. It's cheaper just to get the plates then to gamble with your license......in the end, you'll lose trust me.

In CA, the sales tax and fees, plus registration is collected by the dealer and added into the price of your bike. For a $15 fee, you can file for Inop, which means you aren't going to use the vehicle on the road. Many people do this for track bikes. As long as you've paid the $15 , you don't have to pay any other fees each year until you change the vehicles status.

get plates. in idaho if its not reg you get caught ridding then can impound it until you show back up with the proper tags to be able to operate a motor Vehicle on a state or county road  also ya cant inshure somthing that you have no title  for also every purchase i have made rather it be cars bike or boats tax was paid and figured in the loan
rock.gif

Holy #### man!  That is funny, I just went through the same exact ordeal this past month when I sold my SV and bought my used '04 'Busa.  I live in Papillion, NE.  

For the rest of you guys, you have no idea how expensive it is to plate a bike or car in Nebraska.  I paid $3,500 to plate my Navigator and $800 to play my '04 'Busa.  

Anyways back to the story.  I paid cash for my SV and never titled or registered it.  When I sold it I had to get the title in my name and just pay the sales tax, which wasn't that bad considering my trade difference was only $700 and penalties for not paying the sales tax for almost a year was only $5.  

Well I did that so I could get the title in my name to sell.  I just avoided plating it, which means paying property, wheel, and some other bullshit taxes.  So I paid that off, then I plated my new bike, property tax and such wasn't bad, just sales tax killed.  In Iowa it costs like $35 to plate a bike.  

For a while I thought I wouldn't plate my new 'Busa either, but then I hated getting nervous sitting at stoplights with cops behind me.  I never did get pulled over.  I did once however for speeding, but just got a warning and I didn't even have plates or a license on my SV at the time.

So all in all, just get it plated and over with.  By the way, I'm Sithor on omahasportbikes.com  What color 'Busa did you get man?

<!--EDIT|Sithor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119943474 -->

Back