tire switching

Busa Rookie

Banned
i have mechanical experiance, or try to...

can i change a tire in my garage or do they make tire machines this small?

You can do it in the garage. I struggled doing it for years with hand tools, but bought a hundred dollar tire machine. For a little more money you can get a real nice machine. Search is your friend here. Some real nice threads on changing your own tires. I've saved myself thousands over the years compared to having a shop do it.

I have a no mar and I like it. All depends on how many tires you change. The nomar also does my car tires... :laugh: just need to find a balancer for them... :whistle:

I just bought a Cycle Hill tire changer. It is made and sold by Nomar. It is very similar to the Nomars. It was the first time I ever changed a tire myself. It wasn't quite as easy as they showed in the video but it wasn't too bad, and afterall it was my first time. The changer is small enough to use in any garage. I bought the roll on base so I could use it anywhere.

I bought the Harbor Freight setup, and made some minor modifications. I've done dozens of motorcycle tires for myself and friends. The tools have paid for themselves several times over.

Even though I built a balancer, I don't use it. The few times I checked, the wheel took the same weight in the same spot, so I just leave the weights on there. Balancing is overrated for expensive well-made tires on precision machined wheels. I would never have made such a statement back in the day when I was mounting retreads on stamped steel wheels :laugh:

i used to do car tires at my old shop, i'll be interested in the machine that does both.. thanks so much guys

I forgot to give you my warning. Be very careful. These rotors bend / warp if you look at them the wrong way and are very expensive to replace.

I bought the Harbor Freight setup, and made some minor modifications. I've done dozens of motorcycle tires for myself and friends. The tools have paid for themselves several times over.

Even though I built a balancer, I don't use it. The few times I checked, the wheel took the same weight in the same spot, so I just leave the weights on there. Balancing is overrated for expensive well-made tires on precision machined wheels. I would never have made such a statement back in the day when I was mounting retreads on stamped steel wheels :laugh:

Balancing is not over rated at all. Wait until you get a tire that really needs balancing and you get a bad vibration at triple digit speeds. If you just cruise around at 60mph you'll probably always be fine. If you want to ride the bike hard as it was designed to be ridden, then you should always check the balance on your tires.:beerchug:

Back