newb question...tire changing!

mgnsn24

Registered
Time to change my tires. Going with the avon storm ultra 2's . heres my question. I'm not mechanically inclined at all but am very interested in learning to do some stuff on my motorcycle. Is tire changing something that is possible to learn or should I eat the $120.00 everytime i have to change my tires and have a shop do it? I'm very eager to save the money first of all cause I don't just have a hundred to throw away and time with my baby (motorcycle) is priceless. Thanks ahead for all that takes the time to respond.

Getting the wheels off is not really that hard. You will need to make or buy a front axle tool. Be sure and cover your brake rotors with a sock so you dont scratch your rims. I usually remove my wheels and take them in, it does save labor costs. I dont have the money to buy my own changer yet. You could cut your costs in half if you take just the wheels in and not pay someone to remove them and put them back on.

Getting the wheels off is not really that hard. You will need to make or buy a front axle tool. Be sure and cover your brake rotors with a sock so you dont scratch your rims. I usually remove my wheels and take them in, it does save labor costs. I dont have the money to buy my own changer yet. You could cut your costs in half if you take just the wheels in and not pay someone to remove them and put them back on.

+1

your labor costs will get cut by 50-60% by taking in the wheels instead of your bike. Do you have bike stands? You will need a set if you plan on doing any of your own work. Check with Red line, they are a sponser here.

Is that something a dummy can do? Is there any special tools needed? Is there any members that live nearby (manteca, ca) that would be willing to walk me through this?

It is pretty easy to do. I was scared the 1st time but i you search the site you will find step by step instructions on how to do it. I will see if I can find the link for you.

Do you have the service manual? It pretty much describes the proceedure, and gives you all the torque specs.

Learning to do SOME wrenching on your bike is quite rewarding!

You will need a HUGE socket for the rear axel, and either a $20 tool or make your own for the front. Oh, and stands/torque wrench

Other basic tasks you can DIY: Oil/Filter Change, Brake Pad change. Makes for hours of enjoyment. Lastly, NOBODY cares more about your bike than you do!

Just be careful, remember what goes where and don't look at, much less touch a rotor with anything. They bend easy and cost two tire changes a piece.

looks really easy but really scared to do it on my own!

If you haven't already taken off the wheels:

I live in Alameda and can help you take the wheels off. You'll need to bring the bike down to me though. I will show you how to do this and recommend some tools to get.

We can ride down to my tire installer and have the tires mounted in an hour. Let me know.

I appreciate the offer very, very much! but i dont know how I would bring the new tires down with me while also riding the bike. I don't truck or trailer to bring the bike to you. I will figure something out really soon cause I really want to ride now the weather is good! Plus, I will have to figure something out during the week since I work on the weekends.

Of course I didn't even think about your tires. Shoot me off a PM with a way to contact you. I'm on vacation this week and should have some time to go up your way. I'll bring my tools and front/rear stands.

You're going to need to check around and see if you can get your tires mounted the same day.

I finally got around to removing my front wheel to take into the dealership to have the new tire replaced. Once you find a way to be able to get the front wheel off the ground (i.e. front stand, lift, etc.), the rest is VERY easy.
All that you need to do is:
- Remove the 2 bolts on each brake caliper & slide them off the rotors & off to the side. I used a bungee cord to suspend them from my brake levers.
- Loosen the 4 pinch bolts at the bottom of the forks (I suggest using a 10mm socket).
- Undo the axle bolt (23mm). You'll be able to push the axle through once you've removed the bolt.
- I ended up taking off the front fender (4 bolts) rather than lift higher to get clearance.
Do the reverse order to put it back together.

I made a front stand out of 1" LSR iron pipe following these instructions.
Home Made Front Stand
It cost quite a bit more than the quoted $48, but no one locally sells front stands and I didn't feel like waiting for one to get shipped.

UPDATE: Tires have been changed! Thanks to "TWIST THE THROTTLE". He came over to my house with everything to change out my tires. Taught me how do you other maintenence on my bike also. I made a friend and a riding partner for life. What a awesome guy! Thanks again Bob for your generosity of your time.

UPDATE: Tires have been changed! Thanks to "TWIST THE THROTTLE". He came over to my house with everything to change out my tires. Taught me how do you other maintenence on my bike also. I made a friend and a riding partner for life. What a awesome guy! Thanks again Bob for your generosity of your time.

My pleasure Robert anytime!

Back