Tire changing cost?

I just bought Avon Rear Storm 2 Ultra 190/50R-17 Blackwall Tire for my 2nd gen busa.....

I was wondering what a reasonable price would be to change the rear tire with the wheel on the bike?

Buying a manual tire changer and static balancer(and a bag of weights)will pay for themselves quickly.
Dealer prices are all over the place, and getting more an more ridiculous.

Most any car tire changing machine can do motorcycle tires, but only a few car tire balancers can do motorcycle tires.
I have a friend mount our bike tires at his shop(freebie), but know of a couple auto shops that only charge $10 per bike tire to mount(off the bike).
We use another friend's Redline brand static balancer(was around $120ish) and big bag of stick-on weights that will last for years for $7. Of the many bikes and many sets of tires we've done, we've never had a vibration, even at top speed.

I've changed tires by hand, and no thanks, no more. I get them mounted free, but would gladly pay $10 or $15 to have them mounted.
And if I didn't already have a static balancer I could use for free, I'de buy one.

Long story short, if you're gonna ride, invest in some tools(like front and rear stands). They pay for themselves quickly, and then begin to save you alot of money. They prevent some dealer certified tard from screwing up your bike, and it saves you the time and hassle of taking the bike there. Most of us enjoy it too.
If you don't know how, there's plenty of "how-to" threads here, as well as folks who are happy to PM, call, or even come by if they're close enough to help you:beerchug:

The last set the local dealer did for me was $60 per wheel with me taking the wheels off the bike.
That pushed me over the edge.
Now I have a nomar changer and balancer.

One shop local to me charges $20 per wheel if I take them just the wheel and $35 per wheel if I take them the bike.

The last set the local dealer did for me was $60 per wheel with me taking the wheels off the bike.
That pushed me over the edge.
Now I have a nomar changer and balancer.

Roughly $240 an hour isn't bad pay is it?
Ridiculous, the dealers are getting as bad as the government.

Roughly $240 an hour isn't bad pay is it?
Ridiculous, the dealers are getting as bad as the government.

Yes, it was getting very ridiculous. It was really a sticker shock when I picked the $60 tire up. I never asked for a quote, just had them change it. In a year's it went from $15 to $60. If they had continued to charge $15 - $20 I would still be having them change tires for me. That $60 tire change has cost them a lot more than $60 in business they lost from me.

Thanks for the reply guys....I think last time i got my rear tire changed with wheel on the bike was something like 80$ just for the rear.....I can't believe they can charge that much for one tire....I guess it pays to call around..... Maybe i will get a tire changer in the near future....I do have a rear stand thou but am a little afraid of removing wheel and putting wheel back onn...

I know how to do most everything else like change the fluids....
I think it was this site where i learned how to change my radiator fluid and how to remove fairings.....I could probably remove fairings blind folded by now.. I just don't trust myself enough to remove wheel and put wheel back onn, lol...

i believe my local shop charges $30 off/$60 on for rear and $32 off/$37 on for front

A tire changer is a big investment unless you are changing tires 3-4X per year.

However, a good set of stands (Pitbull), then learning to take your wheels off and carry them to be changed is WELL worth the investment. It's not that hard to do, you can use the stands for other maintenance (which is fun), and if you go to the right place it's normally $20/wheel if you have them dismounted. Look for the small shop not the dealership for better pricing. Cyclegear mounts/balances for free if you buy the tire from them, so you gotta look at total cost for accurate comparison.

Taking the wheel's on/off is actually, with the right tools, easier than the fairings... You don't state your location, I wouldn't be surprised if another member lived nearby and would be willing to help you...

I use the machines at work to do thing, but locally its $50 per tire off the bike, and they charge hourly to take them off and back on!! Holy Hell! They must not like tire business very much, I'd gladly pay someone else to do it but alas I tend to be picky about who works on my vehicles. (My life, My rules. New guy? hell no.)

In the end, the machines are not overly expensive, and you could actually have them paid off/make a profit once word gets out that you can do the same job cheaper than a shop. Just my $.02
-D

Dealer'e here in Miami ask for 100.00 wheel off the bike if you didn't buy the tire from them.

local shops 35-45 and they do the whole thing

just find a dealer who will match any price and let them do it all- set of pilot r2's mounted/balanced for about $250 (got a shirt and oil change and tie downs etc... - just a rough estimate)

I just picked up a PR-3 rear for mine and they charge $50 to put it on the bike at my shop. That is with them taking the wheel off and then putting it back on the bike. I thought that was fair. Paid $183 for the tire and from what I saw online that was a very fair price of the tire.

I just picked up a PR-3 rear for mine and they charge $50 to put it on the bike at my shop. That is with them taking the wheel off and then putting it back on the bike. I thought that was fair. Paid $183 for the tire and from what I saw online that was a very fair price of the tire.
That's a pretty fair price.....It pays to call around.... I think last year i paid 80$ just for them to change rear with wheel on bike..

There is a few shops (dealerships) that will not change tires unless you bought them from them. The only dealership here that will change them is Harley. And I think they are charging $35 a tire. I have a shop break the beads and I change my own.

free for me and any .org members who live in N.J. or in the area.. bring them to me mount and balance FREE of charge... no kidding..

tie changer 001.JPG

tie changer 002.JPG

The Zuki dealer told me recently, if I buy the tire from them, $29 to change out ON THE BIKE. If I would have ordered the tire online, it would have cost me a $100 to replace on the bike. I'm thinking of getting the HF tire changer for about $100 and doing it myself.

Back