Tire repair or replace

blacknight

Registered
OK, here's the deal.

When I purchased my 09 Busa back in march (4 months ago) The dealer replaced the tires with Michelin Pilot Powers 2ct's

Now, I have a nail in the rear tire.

As soon as I saw it I was pissed knowing it happened the day I was riding as after every ride, I clean the bike, clean the rims and put it on stands.

So once I saw the nail, I immediately got some soapy water and poured it over the nail and sure enough, I saw bubbles.

Now, after speaking with the dealer where I purhcased the bike from, they transferred me to service and basically they frown upon repairing a tire with a plug/patch as it's a huge safety hazard. They would strongly remommend replacing the tire.

Now this I can understand as good, RELIABLE tires are virtually essential for safe riding.

But has anyone ever repaired a tire and had good results?

On my last bike (gixxer 04 600) I had a rear tire repaired and I didnt have problems with it.

But now since this is a much newer bike that I REALLY like, I want to be more cautious with things.

So my question is:

1) should I go ahead and replace a 4 month old tire that's virtually still new but now has a nail in it?

OR

2) should I have the tire repaired?

You will get many opinions either way on this issue.

I know some who have plugged and patched with no issue.

One question for you.

When you meet that perfect stretch of road and really want to open her up, as you pass 150 mph and marvel at how hard the bike is still pulling, as you focus on the road ahead, your tuck, the things going on around you and the needle aproaches 185, as the road blurs, you struggle to hold yourself down on the tank and marvel that you are covering a football field a second, do you really want that thought "I wonder if that plug will hold?" creeping into your head?

I have a brand new BT-023 hanging on the wall as decoration cause it took a nail at 1000 miles.

You will get many opinions either way on this issue.

I know some who have plugged and patched with no issue.

One question for you.

When you meet that perfect stretch of road and really want to open her up, as you pass 150 mph and marvel at how hard the bike is still pulling, as you focus on the road ahead, your tuck, the things going on around you and the needle aproaches 185, as the road blurs, you struggle to hold yourself down on the tank and marvel that you are covering a football field a second, do you really want that thought "I wonder if that plug will hold?" creeping into your head?

I have a brand new BT-023 hanging on the wall as decoration cause it took a nail at 1000 miles.

And that is a very valid point.
I must admit, my top speed as of yet is 170 on a 5 mile straight
But that's something I RARELY do.
I normally dont exceed 120.

I was even thinking about having the tire repaired and selling it as I'm sure someone who's one a tight budget or stunting can use it

Kinda depends on how you intend to ride it, and how much risk you are willing to take...

I've plugged every rear tire I've owned. Never had a plug fail yet, and I get 15K out of my tires. :thumbsup:

How many miles are on the tire? I would say 2k + just get a new tire.... Technically if you have the right person repair it the repair will be stronger than the rest of the tire.

I plug and patch rear tires with no problems but I use the patch kits I got from PASHNITs site . its like a mushroom plug that won't come out . If you do alot of twisties riding I would then think about replacing it. ( if you do i'll take the tire off your hands for burnouts) !

I plug and patch rear tires with no problems but I use the patch kits I got from PASHNITs site . its like a mushroom plug that won't come out . If you do alot of twisties riding I would then think about replacing it. ( if you do i'll take the tire off your hands for burnouts) !

I'm considering doing that as well.
Buying a new tire and getting the old one repaired & selling it

I got a nail in a Dunlop qualifier, 2 days after install. It has about 25 miles on it. Still in the rafters, can't bring myself to toss it.

I got a nail in a Dunlop qualifier, 2 days after install. It has about 25 miles on it. Still in the rafters, can't bring myself to toss it.

That truly sucks and That's my point.
Too bad shops dont offer something like roadside hazard for the tires or something.

How many miles are on the tire? I would say 2k + just get a new tire.... Technically if you have the right person repair it the repair will be stronger than the rest of the tire.

I have maybe 1,000Mi on the tires
I do have a shop that I trust to plug and patch the tire.

If you guys don't want to use'm or give'm away just SMOKE'M UP !!!!!:)

blacknight said:
That truly sucks and That's my point.
Too bad shops dont offer something like roadside hazard for the tires or something.

I have maybe 1,000Mi on the tires
I do have a shop that I trust to plug and patch the tire.

Cycle gear does have a hazard plan. And the sales guy told me when it's used up drive a nail in it and I'd get enough back to pay the next hazard plan. Too bad that tire with the screw was from another shop....

I picked up a screw and had a flat Sunday, about 3000 miles on tire. I plugged it myself and it's still holding. Not sure how I like a plug in there either.
I did text my daughter who is a Continental Employee, and she is supposed to be getting me some new tires with her discount.(after I remind her 10x).....lol

A lot of good points here with no wrong answers. No one mentioned "Ride - On" which is a produce that I stand behind. I have two effin' nails in my rear tire right now with 2300 miles on my new bike and new Battle Axe tires. I check the air pressure with my new Motion Pro liquid tire gauge before every ride pretty much and I haven't needed to add any air yet still since day one. Wow I say! It's a gooopy, viscous material that coats the inside of the tire and keeps a seal. I'm thinking at high speeds the centrifugal force would just keep it all in place that much more.

I would say consider this! You replace your tire with a nail in it because you want a peice of mind. And between your house and the highway you pick up a new nail or screw in your new tire you just bought but you have no idea yet. You then hit high speeds thinking you're all set but who really knows???? Get the Ride-On, it's like a bit of insurance and also why worry about getting stranded away from home with a flat? I've hit 140mph so far as my highest speed, which isn't that fast for most you guys on here so you know I'm being honest. I usually hit at least 110 or 120 pretty much every time I ride just because mainly everybody wants a piece of me on the highway and you know I can't let em' get away with that :whistle:

Yeah man love the Ride - On and right on!

I just bought a new set of tires last year got only about 800 miles then nail in back. I put a wood trim screw with permatex and road it about another 500 miles. I have two sets of wheels. So I bought a new set of tires and I got a screw in the back a couple of weeks ago again, So I put another screw with permatex and it leaked. So I plugged it. The first set I am going to patch the inside since it so new. The first tire with the screw in it did not ever leak. I have never been a fan of patching tires. But with just a nail hole or a screw hole the tire it is not going to blow out just leak. Know if a tire is got a lot of miles then replace.

i wont plug them...but have only had one tire get a nail...so in 7 years on the busa...thats fairly lucky i guess

I got a nail in my tyre at about 1700 miles, replaced it as I read you shouldn't patch the tyres.

We had thread about this in which I did at write up of how to properly patch a tyre, as I used to patch tyres as part of my job.
It has to be done properly or the patch can come loose and start falling off.

I'm not sure if I read the above post right about ride-on, but you shouldn't use it as a fix for a flat, it's only a temporary fix until you get the tyre fixed.

Back