Tire Recommedation

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and to the Busa world. I picked up an 02 Busa last year. I live in Alaska and the riding conditions are a little bit more different than in the lower 48. I don't ride to hard and have not learned to do stunts (yet). I put on some Dunlop tires last year and they got eaten up so bad that I blew a hole the size of a dime in it while doing about 90 mph on the highway. Scared the heck out of me, but did not put it down luckly. Everyone I speak to say to get Metzeler tires (mainly Harley riders), but I kind of like the look of the Shinko 009 Raven tires. Does anyone know how well they hold up on a Busa? I found a set at Cycle Gear including shipping up here for about $114 which is a steal from what I have seen on tire prices.

Lots of good reading here in case you missed this forum just for tires: Tires

I don't have any personal experience with Shinko but from reading around, they will NOT last long. I prefer tires that will give more mileage and went with Pirellli Angels (also considered Michelin PR 2/3 and Avon Storms)

Thanks for the reply. I am still new here and missed the whole forum for tire conversations. I will look thru there and see what I can find. If worse comes to worse, I guess I will have a back up set in case I destroy my next set.

I would suggest replacing your tires a bit sooner. Are you familiar with the wear bar indicators on the tire? Busas are not the bike to try your luck with riding on maypops.

I would suggest the Michelin Pilot Road3 for your climate and riding style.

Ive run many tires but last year i purchased the pirelli angels,put over 7000 miles on them and they look almost brand new and i am running them again this year were usually i add new tires every year,there are many opinions out there but my preference for good tire life is the pirelli angels

No, I am not familiar with the weat bar indicators? I will look it up and do my homework. I am the type of guy that just buys new toys without knowing much about them. I guess that is why I have 2 other project vehicals sitting around that I am not getting anywhere with.

No, I am not familiar with the weat bar indicators? I will look it up and do my homework. I am the type of guy that just buys new toys without knowing much about them. I guess that is why I have 2 other project vehicals sitting around that I am not getting anywhere with.

If you look at ..... well the new tire you will see bars in between the tread.. These bars are known as wear bar indicators, once they are flush with the tread its time for new tires. You will see these wear bars inbetween the tread on the center and on the side tread...

This is a toy that isnt forgiving due to lack of maintanence.. Best of luck on your tire decision.

Pictured below of a wear bar .... This tire is wore out and needs to be retired.

20070703204135-0-6081.jpg

Ive run many tires but last year i purchased the pirelli angels,put over 7000 miles on them and they look almost brand new and i am running them again this year were usually i add new tires every year,there are many opinions out there but my preference for good tire life is the pirelli angels

What he said! +1

There is a reason why Shinko tires are cheap.

It's not because they are great performers!

I had the angels on mine switched to michelin power pure and now i got the bridgestone s20 hypersport... well, the angels and pures are lasting very long. but i love cornering so i prefer more grip

I've ran the Shinko 009's the last two years and they've been decent. Although they've not lasted more than 4-5k on the rear, they've fit my budget. Now that BB is paid off, better tires will be coming her way.

I would also recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or the Dunlop Roadsmart tires. Both are made for long miles and great performance. Your riding is for a long mileage tire. Also, if your buying toys please be careful! This toy can kill you quick. Learn slowly and you live to ride another day!

Running Michelin PR3. All the grip I can use and it is suppose to get 10K miles, one member is reporting 15K miles. I paid $177 TMD for the rear, and that's cheap.

Back