update on shinko tires performance

(GPW @ Sep. 22 2006,12:57)
(Shanling @ Sep. 21 2006,16:28) How big are those chicken strips? Wow!
Should look like these...
Now that is a tire that shows it has been leaned through more than one corner!!!

PS. Nice focus too...
ices_rofl.gif

I have the Shinko Raven's front and rear, with about 3300 miles on them. 2600 of that was round trip this year to Sturgis with the bike loaded down. Tires still look new. Best bang for the buck out there.

Oh yea, did I forgot to say, the bike is smoother now than its ever been. And the Shinko's took less than half the weight needed to balance the Dunlop 208's on the bike previously.

(Quasar @ Sep. 22 2006,14:30)
(sportrider1296 @ Sep. 22 2006,16:56) All right, first up is a lesson for all of you that don't even know what chicken strips are.  If you look at my original picture, notice that what you are calling a chicken strip is my heat marks on my tires and the lighter middle are is where I have been moving it around in the driveway.  I just got back from a 60 mile round trip to school and it is all interstate.  The dark edges is where I didn't scrub the tire in very far today and I have posted a close up pick of my rear with the "real" chicken strip highlight for ya.  I have actually nicked and druged my shoes before with these tire so I know they will hold.
Sportrider1296, respectfully…

Being I've ridden for the past 31 years now, I clearly know the difference between chicken strips and a tire that's been run to its very edge. You sir, have NOT run your Shinko to its very edge and you cannot state your Shinkos are capable of hanging to their edge until you have actually taken them to their edge.

As per your original photo, even your Shinko's tire nibs are still fully intact for the entire circumference of your Shinko's tire after 4,247 miles! Had you ridden the Shinko to its edge, those tire nibs would have been long worn off as in GPW's excellent photo example.

Look at GPW's photo. His photo shows the tire will hang to its very edge, as there are no chicken strips nor do any of the tire nibs remain, as they've been worn off.

There's a big difference between GPW's photo and your original photo and your out of focus photo basically provides no tire detail, just the red lines you added.

Another important point: The flatter a tire's profile, the closer to its edge will be its contact wear patch for the same degree of bike lean. Shinko's are typically flatter profiles than the superior corner carving tires therefore, you'd need to push your Shinko to its edge to even come close to the lean angle achieved on superior corner carving tires.
Although your point is well taken, Q, keep in mind that Greg's bike has been set up to the max for carving twisties (CF wheels, suspension, you name it) and he runs the Avons, somewhat of an off-brand as well. Of course you've been around here since 05' so you already know that.

I've been running the Ravens (front and rear) on my busa since about 8k.  I'm just over 13k now.  I'd guess that I've got at least another 2k before I will be buying another set.  And for you skeptics, please stay that way.  I don't want RideNow selling too many sets of these tires... LOL [Hey! Like what was said!! don't buy em!!! They will get so popular that the $ will be up with the rest!!!   STINKO's SUCK!!  
lurk.gif

all_coholic.gif

argue.gif

bowdown.gif

beerchug.gif

Back