tire question??

jmaz268

Killin' is my business, a
Donating Member
Registered
OK I received my new tire, but I am hesitent about putting it on because I was told by a good friend that I should put the same ire on the front and the rear for the fact that the tread doesn't match and at higher speeds it can become unstable.....My question is: is this true? I really don't wanna change my front because it still looks brand new..

John

i dont think its a matter of tread as it is a matter of tire profile for instance...you dont want a super sticky angled rear tire and a basic not so angled front casue the rear will allow you to lean over more that the fron can and result in a wash out. I changed both mine even though i didnt need a new front

I never experienced any unstability at top speed with a diablo front, and an M1 rear. The only difference I noticed was when cornering. It wasn't unstable, it just felt different.

I'm with him..........nyuk nyuk nyuk. When I've changed to a different model tire for the rear I also replaced the front with the same tire. It's possible that Slammiam had no problem because the Diablo and M1 use the same compound, so his tires were not like green eggs and ham.

I made the mistake on my Harley Sportster 1200S of installing a harder compound tire on the rear while retaining a stock softer compound on the front. If I braked hard on the front the soft tire would grab but the harder rear would chirp and my control of the bike would lessen. I did not like it here or there. I did not like it anywhere.

Umm, I really wouldn't worry about a high speed instability so much as having a stickier tire on the rear than on the front. That is a bad combination.

But if you still have a Slipstone or a Dunflopped up front? I'd wait personally, and replace the front and rear with the M1's at the some time. That way you'll get to enjoy the benefits of a much better tire on your bike. They really do make that much of a difference... M1's I mean.

Oh and yeah, the M1's and Diablo's are the same tire Exactly, just different tread patterns. So like Bruce said, they'll work together just fine.

Anyhoo, my .02

i dont think its a matter of tread as it is a matter of tire profile for instance...you dont want a super sticky angled rear tire and a basic not so angled front casue the rear will allow you to lean over more that the fron can and result in a wash out.  I changed both mine even though i didnt need a new front
idea.gif
What he said....

IM NOT A TIRE EXPERT BUT I KNOW THIS IS A VERY CRITICAL ISSUE. DO NOT MIX RADIAL TIRES WITH BIAS PLY TIRES. I HAVE HEARD MANY RIDERS TALK ABOUT TIRES. I THINK BRIDGSTONE IS THE ONLY TIRE MADE TO OEM SPECS, RADIUS, ANGGLE ETC. RATED BETTER MORE OFTEN THAN EVEN THE REAL NICE AVONS.

One of your bigger concerns will be cornering if the tire compounds are too different one gives before the other. My back tire went out much quicker so I did not go with the M-1 because it had more grip than the DP 208, next time I replace both and will go with the powers this time.

Yeah that is the point exactly. Softer grippier tire upfront? Shouldn't pose to much of a hazard mixing brands. But Having the good grip out back? This is the combination that I "FEEL" could actually land you on your head. I mean when the rear pushes, or slides around a bit it's not a big deal. It lets you know your at the edge, and you can ride it out. If the front starts pushing or "tucking" out there in a corner it's likely to result in a crunchy bike. Not a sure thing, but it's likely. You don't want to be "Outriding" your front.

Just bow up and get the front...then, you too can have the whirrring sound like all of us M1 owners....
tounge.gif
I've gotten use to it, kind of like it.....sort of comforting somehow. Seriously, the M1's are my favorite tire so far, they inspire confidence!

I mix and match tires all the time. I take twisties fast, though I'm not a racer, and go fast on the top end sometimes. Never had a problem. Watch the profile like said above.

Tire question here - didn't want to start a new thread...

Why doesn't ANYONE go with replacing the stock rear with that same stock tire? It's a Bridgestone Battlax BT56R; pricey little guy...I'm thinking I'll go with that since my first Bridgestone's been so great (8300 miles)...I don't have twisties, I'm just an every day casual Busa rider. Why shouldn't I get the same tire? Any reasons I don't know about?

Inquiring minds want to know
smile.gif

rock.gif

My Busa is at the local dealer's right now getting new tires. After 7,000 miles, the front looked good yet and the rear had another thousand or two left in it, but I just didn't care for the B-stones.

The front had that groove around the center that just LOVED grooved roads and the rear felt kind of greasy when hot and exiting corners while on th throttle. I'm far from an agressive rider but I could detect it.

A year or so ago, there was a multi-bike comparison test in a magazine and they put B-stones on all the bikes to make the test fairer. Almost every test rider complained about the tires when they got hot.

I had the new Continental RoadAttacks put on it. It's a sport-touring tire that will fit my riding style well. Next year, they are coming out with the SportAttack for more agressive riders.

Ed

My Busa is at the local dealer's right now getting new tires.  After 7,000 miles, the front looked good yet and the rear had another thousand or two left in it, but I just didn't care for the B-stones.

The front had that groove around the center that just LOVED grooved roads and the rear felt kind of greasy when hot and exiting corners while on th throttle.  I'm far from an agressive rider but I could detect it.

A year or so ago, there was a multi-bike comparison test in a magazine and they put B-stones on all the bikes to make the test fairer.  Almost every test rider complained about the tires when they got hot.

I had the new Continental RoadAttacks put on it.  It's a sport-touring tire that will fit my riding style well.  Next year, they are coming out with the SportAttack for more agressive riders.

Ed
Are they the harder compound? I don't see a need to buy a stickier, softer tire because I just don't ride hard enough to warrant replacing a rear tire every 3000 miles...

I've always kind of wondered if it's how I ride or the rear tire, but sometimes it does feel like it "slips" in the turns...lately, I've attributed that to the fact that it's got 8300 miles on it...hrmmm...now I'm even more confused!
laugh.gif

Serious subject but this is some funny shid! "Slipstone or a Dunflopped up front"

Why doesn't ANYONE go with replacing the stock rear with that same stock tire?  It's a Bridgestone Battlax BT56R; pricey little guy...I'm thinking I'll go with that since my first Bridgestone's been so great (8300 miles)...I don't have twisties, I'm just an every day casual Busa rider.  Why shouldn't I get the same tire?  Any reasons I don't know about?

smile.gif

rock.gif
Go with the M1's, you'll love them. Their P-spec is made just for the Busa and is the same width too. They do wear a touch faster but why not have the extra margin of safety/grip. Due to their belting design they warm up quicker and more evenly. They are cheaper than the factory replacements as well. I will never go back to the Battleaxes again.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112812275 -->

smile.gif

Why doesn't ANYONE go with replacing the stock rear with that same stock tire?  It's a Bridgestone Battlax BT56R; pricey little guy...I'm thinking I'll go with that since my first Bridgestone's been so great (8300 miles)...I don't have twisties, I'm just an every day casual Busa rider.  Why shouldn't I get the same tire?  Any reasons I don't know about?

smile.gif

rock.gif
Go with the M1's, you'll love them. Their P-spec is made just for the Busa and is the same width too. They do wear a touch faster but why not have the extra margin of safety/grip. They are cheaper than the factory replacements as well. I will never go back to the Battleaxes again.
smile.gif
That's the thing though JT2...I don't ride hard enough to warrant getting a tire that won't last. I don't care about a name, just want something that will last like my stocker did, even if it's pricey...

I honestly don't have ANY big issues with the stock tire, so why not just get the same one again?
rock.gif

smile.gif

rock.gif

Va, they work great! The bike rolls into corners way easier than before - I used to have to almost muscle it over entering turns and now it turns almost by itself! The first few times I entered a turn going home last night, I almost found myself turning too soon - there is that much difference, yet as a sport-touring tire, they don't have a real "pointy" profile. Continental claims long life from them and I've come to know a guy who works for ContiUSA who told me how they are made, compoundwise, and swears they'll handle great and wear well, too. So far, he's right on the money.

Ed

smile.gif

rock.gif
Go with the M1's, you'll love them. Their P-spec is made just for the Busa and is the same width too. They do wear a touch faster but why not have the extra margin of safety/grip. They are cheaper than the factory replacements as well. I will never go back to the Battleaxes again.
smile.gif
That's the thing though JT2...I don't ride hard enough to warrant getting a tire that won't last.  I don't care about a name, just want something that will last like my stocker did, even if it's pricey...

I honestly don't have ANY big issues with the stock tire, so why not just get the same one again?  
rock.gif
With the Battleaxes costing more, in the long run the price probably works out to be a wash with the increase in wear. You may not need the extra grip or quicker warm up with the way you normally ride, but why not have the extra safety margin for that unexpected time when you or your bike is taken outside its normal operation, usually when you least expect it. They are just a better tire and when you think about how little of it is gripping the road even in "normal" operation, why not get all the extra traction you can.

And if you like to ride hard, they really become superior to the factory stuff.
smile.gif

smile.gif

rock.gif

smile.gif

Okay, thanks guys...now I need to go do even MORE research!
tounge.gif

No, really, thanks...glad I asked...
cool.gif

Back