43t rear sprocket question

mikey28804

Registered
Ok people,

I have a 43t rear sprocket I am wanting to try out, but I have a few questions. First off how high does it jump the RPM'S while crusing? Second I had a mechanic tell me that because I have a new chain and its adjusted all the way forward right now that It would not fit. Another question is, does it become hard to keep the front end down? I dont mind some but I dont want to be fighting a wheelie all the time.

If you have stock sprockets and a new chain, I'd say your chain is a link or two short? 43 tooth sprocket should work just fine with no issues if your chain is the proper length.

17 40 on Gen I @ 4K R.P.M.s you'll be running about 5 MPH slower than standard. Low end should be a little better.

just curious on how you guys figure out what to run I have a gen 1 I went down one in the front... I think it's a 16 and up to 44 in the rear looking to get better response when I crack the throttle and I don't mind the front wheel coming up has anyone out there ran this ratio? If so how much top end did you loose? My buddy has a S1000 and I'm tired of him walking on me so I did some mods BST wheels ceramic bearings custom tune by schtinz full exhaust pc3 quick shift oil pump gear to up my oil psi and Brock's clutch mod and clutch cusion... Just hoping to get some feed back on anything else I can do to get my dignity back lol it's almost back together but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet... Hitting the dyno on my way to Daytona in March

You're not going to be able to outrun a BMW1k on a gen1 just tuned with a pipe.
You're at least 20+hp short, and around 130lbs heavier.
17/40 is stock gen1 gearing, so 16/44 is way low. You're geared too low.
Try 16/40, or 17/42, 43

Last edited:
What do want to do?
Be faster in the 1/4 mile? Roll ons at highway speed? All straight line runs?
A 1397/1441, nitros, or turbo...nothing cheap.
If you want to be faster in hard cornering, give up now and buy a 1k.
Sorry, but a gen1 Busa vs a BMW1k is apples to oranges.
Keep in mind too that this is all bike vs bike. The rider makes all the difference. But still, anyone can go fast in straight line(good drag racers just leave the line quicker, where most races are won).
With equal riders, you can't overcome the power to weight ratio of the BMW vs a gen1, even with a pipe and tune.
Those BSTs are nice too, but the difference they make is going to be in handling in the twisties. It's not going to be enough for a drag race.

Last edited:
And, what are you trying to figure out on the gearing?
There's a site called gearing commander that tells you the top speed of a particular sprocket combination.
But that only tells you what that gear ratio is capable of. It doesn't mean that the bike will automatically go that fast.
Weather, humidity, track/road conditions, length you are racing, elavation, your physical body size(not just your weight, but how well you can tuck into the bike out of the wind), and other things all contribute greatly to what's possible.

Thanks for the info... And I get nothing is cheap lol learned the hard way everything on this bike is redone in c/f forks are more progressive rear shock is better and most of my riding is just on the street never had it at the drag strip and with his weight vrs mine we might be about even his a big guy but I'll check out that gearing site I went the way I did cause I like to ride on one wheel figured it would be easier to get her up but as far as I've already gone might as well do a turbo...

Thanks for the info... And I get nothing is cheap lol learned the hard way everything on this bike is redone in c/f forks are more progressive rear shock is better and most of my riding is just on the street never had it at the drag strip and with his weight vrs mine we might be about even his a big guy but I'll check out that gearing site I went the way I did cause I like to ride on one wheel figured it would be easier to get her up but as far as I've already gone might as well do a turbo...

I love wheelies, and have no problem riding them as far as I want with stock gearing, but a +3 rear sprocket just feels better all around to me.
After you go much lower in the gearing, the street ride quality suffers in my opinion. Then the bike(most any 600 or bigger, not just the Busa)really only becomes good for wheelies. Which is fine too, but you won't be winning many races.
Your 16/44 gearing has got to have your rpms up by at least 1400, ballpark.

Back