Tire balancing question

shadetree57

Registered
Why not use the axle to balance the tire and wheel assy. I made a balancer and used the axle. If there's a problem with this let me know. Thanks.

Why not use the axle to balance the tire and wheel assy. I made a balancer and used the axle. If there's a problem with this let me know. Thanks.

i did... just a matter of making the balancer the right width.. a lot of the "store" bought are too wide. (made to fit lots of bikes)

yea I did the $8 worth of bearings and $300 worth of cipherin ad bildn.... :rofl:

I never thought about using the axle but I'm sure it will work to some degree.

The accuracy of this method would depend on the effeciency of your bearings. If the bearings are worn it would reduce the accuracy of the balance. The store bought ones that I have used have a small rod that sits on two rollers on each end. If the bearings are worn in the least the unit still rolls on the outside rollers.

Do a simple test. After you balance on the axle, double check the accuracy on a machine?

I never thought about using the axle but I'm sure it will work to some degree.

The accuracy of this method would depend on the effeciency of your bearings. If the bearings are worn it would reduce the accuracy of the balance. The store bought ones that I have used have a small rod that sits on two rollers on each end. If the bearings are worn in the least the unit still rolls on the outside rollers.

Do a simple test. After you balance on the axle, double check the accuracy on a machine?
pssst... little secret.. I have not balanced any of my last 4 or 5 sets of tires... :laugh: no wobbles, tire wear or other issues so I just have not bothered...

Dyna-Beads! I was skeptical until last week. They work as advertised and can be reused if you are careful taking the tire off when you change the next one. I used 1oz in the front tire, and 2oz in the rear tire. It was smooth from 1 to 80 MPH. I didn't test it any higher yet. I will not be balancing my own tires anymore. The time it takes to get the balance I always strive for was reduced to a few seconds of putting the Dyna-Beads in the tire.

pssst... little secret.. I have not balanced any of my last 4 or 5 sets of tires... :laugh: no wobbles, tire wear or other issues so I just have not bothered...

Your luck is better than mine. I threw a tire weight at a track day last year and it just shook my eyeballs out of focus at a buck fifty!

I just put the mark on the valve stem :whistle:

I started with this postion(Sku to the stem) and needed 42 grams to balance it. Not good. Rebroke the bead and turn tire , balance, turn tire, balance, and so on. Got it very close, reinflated tire ,set bead, and rebalanced wheel.

Result ,,,,,,,, only 7 grams.

The mark to the valve stem did not work for me.:laugh:

I started with this postion(Sku to the stem) and needed 42 grams to balance it. Not good. Rebroke the bead and turn tire , balance, turn tire, balance, and so on. Got it very close, reinflated tire ,set bead, and rebalanced wheel.

Result ,,,,,,,, only 7 grams.

The mark to the valve stem did not work for me.:laugh:

I heard some marks are supposed to be opposite the valve stem. Depends on tire manufacture I guess.

Back