Static Wheel Balancer

NorthFace

Registered
Ok here is my question!
smile.gif
I am looking into doing my tire change myself, we are a bunch of buddy and we are tiredpaying 30$ per change 4 time a years!
smile.gif
So we are looking in the Handy Static Wheel Balancer and the MC110.100 Tire Changer. Is most of the peoples just buy a couple of bearing and a few rod to do tire change, or have you gone with simillar product (Tire changer about 400$ and the balancer about 160$) 560$ total seems to be a lot of money but will be ROI within 2 years. Any inputs!
smile.gif

THanks

smile.gif

smile.gif

You might also want to check out Harbor Freight. I just bought the tire changer with motorcycle adapter for a total of $68 including tax. The web site had the tire changer on sale but not my local store, however they matched the price.
Then just the opposite the local store had the motorcycle adapter on sale but not the web site. It was a win/win situation.

So far I haven't tried it, still need to bolt it to the garage floor and buy a new set of tires for Baby T.

It looks identical to the MC110.100 except it's red and made in China. My guess is it's an exact copy rip off. Metal is of a decent gauge, welds are good so I think it will be fine for the home environment.

From what people have told me, it's good for breaking the bead and holding the wheel in place while tire irons are used. To protect the rim they put cut vinyl tubing around the wheel lip. The included bar is basically good for regular car tires.

Not sure about the balancer. Harbor Freight has a bubble one that looks halfway decent that I may pick up.

Thanks btw are you talking about the 2 parts Tire changing ar Harbor?
PN: 34542-9VGA (Portable Tire Changer) 34,99$
PN: 42927-4VGA (Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachement) 42,99$
They look fine to me, I dont plan into opening a shop so for about 20 change a years or so I bet this will be fine.. As for the Balancer, well there is 2 type.. One is a static balancer (Basically 2 free bearing) and one is called a bubble balancer works on flat instead of turining the wheel, is one better than the other and what are you looking in. Also with the Tire change do you still need some kind of rim protector and/or some rods?

Thanks btw are you talking about the 2 parts Tire changing ar Harbor?
PN: 34542-9VGA (Portable Tire Changer) 34,99$
PN: 42927-4VGA (Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachement) 42,99$
They look fine to me, I dont plan into opening a shop so for about 20 change a years or so I bet this will be fine.. As for the Balancer, well there is 2 type.. One is a static balancer (Basically 2 free bearing) and one is called a bubble balancer works on flat instead of turining the wheel, is one better than the other and what are you looking in. Also with the Tire change do you still need some kind of rim protector and/or some rods?
static that is what I use in the shop and as long as you know how to use it it is fine. over 210 MPH and balanced perfect

Any maker in perticular? So far I found Handy Industry, Kowa Tools, Abba Wheel Balancer. They are all about the same price +- 20$. I guess the only thing needed after is some "glue to the tire" soapy water to un bead, and some weightstrip! Does it take very long to balance the wheel with a static, like you must have to spin a few times find out how much to put on the oposite side. For an good, average with a few tire of practice will it take 20 minutes or 2 hours?
smile.gif

I have the handy, I have used a static for over 20 years so it takes me after set up of the wheel about 2-8 mintues

One last question before I buy one of these.. I found also what is called Bubble or Bullseye Balancer. Basically put the tire flat and the bubble tell you where to add weight until it balance. Is this kinda easier but less precise or are they having the same kind of result.

Thanks

Hey JC,
I got a question I built a really sinsitive static balancer and found the heavy spot weighted it 180 deg almost perfect,but it seems that there is a new heavy spot or the right half of the line of the 180deg is heavier than the left so do I need to balance more than the one line of the 360 total degrees.?
rock.gif
??

Hey JC,
      I got a question I built a really sinsitive static balancer and found the heavy spot weighted it 180 deg almost perfect,but it seems that there is a new heavy spot or the right half of the line of the 180deg is heavier than the left so do I need to balance more than the one line of the 360 total degrees.?
rock.gif
??
I am stupid I have no idea what you mean 360 degrees?
you pin it slow and what till it stops. the heavy spot would be at the bottom so you put weight 180 degrees from it and do it again

Did that like I said seems ok ,you got the bottom the heavy spot the top the light spot and a imaginary line from top to bottom ,i weighted it 180 almost perfect top and bottom are same,now if you turn wheel where the heavy and light spot which is now weighted are to the right and left so as to balance one across from the other ,it will only do it one way it has a heavier half now do I balance the new heavy spot which would cut it into equal quarters

<!--EDIT|PsychoJoe
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137352686 -->

OK another way to put it.... do you only ever balance against one heavy spot and only one line of 180 deg. or do you sometimes have to balance against two heavy spots...THANKS for your input Johnny and anyone else on this one...

I think only once or twice did I balance two heavy spots the main idea is so that the wheels spins one way and will not go backwards after it stops

Thanks for the help I will try that I might be going too crazy on this it will stop in differant places, usually two differant spots,will get out soon as weather gives me a decent temp, do a top end and see how it is..
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|PsychoJoe
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137371115 -->

Well I went out and did the top end only got to 160 and no vibration at all,and the100mph vibration that the shop could not get out with their bubble balancer and all the tires before that had a rough spot that they did.. I cant believe how smooth it is,no more shop work for tires for me.Thanks for all the input guys.
race.gif

Back