I have a couple questions for ya guys

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I'm thinking about getting an extra front and rear rim so I can put long lasting touring tires on for commuting and sticky tires for canyons and trackdays.  I am going through my expensive short lived sticky tires too fast with my 310miles a week commuting.

Besides the rims, what else do I need for this.  I have;
1)Rear stand
2)Socket for the rear axle nut.

I know I need a front stand.  Possibly a front axel tool??  What about bearings and cush rubbers??

Basically what parts need to be on the wheels(besides the tire) when they are balanced and what tools do I need to take the front and rear wheels off.

I'll be looking for used rims and other parts to save on money.

Thanks for the help guys  
biggrin.gif

Oh, I do know I'll need a spare rear sprocket and a rear brake rotor for the spare wheel.  Almost forgot about those  
wink.gif

bump...i would like to know the answer to this as i have thought about this also...anyone?

forget about the socket for the rear.  Just use a large crescent wrench.

use I believe a 5/8th bolt with a couple nuts to take off the front wheel. Don't take my word for the size of the bolt. I would have to go outside and measure the bolt. It works wonders and had the local shop give me the bolt and nuts for free.

you'll need brake rotors for the front and rear. bearings for the spare wheels.  Cush rubbers, rear wheel hub and sprocket.  That should be about it to have some spare wheel setups.

I swap my rear out for drag racing on a regular basis. I have a complete rear wheel assembly which includes sprocket, cush drive, rubbers, bearings, spacers, rotor. You can get by on the rear without some of the parts, but you can find deals on a complete setup. At a minimum you need the bearing and inner spacer in the wheel. Having all of the parts I have makes it a 5-10 minute swap and includes a rear sprocket size change.

On the front you’ll need basic hand tools and a front axel tool.

This is the one I’m using, about $17.00 from cycle gear. If you are going to be swapping rotors, get some extra bolts to have on hand.
motraxaxlewrench_310x202.jpg

Holla at Golden Child, I think he has a couple of complete sets of rims laying around, and you know the price will be right.....

A set of wheels w/rotors and bearings, front stand...for tools...a large adjustable wrench for the rear, for the front
axle tool give me a call and I can help ya with that  
super.gif

Thanks guys  
beerchug.gif

Its definately cheaper in the long run, but now I need to see if I can afford it now or later.

So the parts;

rear- wheel, spacer, cush rubbers, bearings, sprocket, and rotor.

front- wheel, bearings, and 2 rotors.

Am I forgeting any parts??

(fstbusa @ Oct. 14 2006,07:59) you'll need brake rotors for the front and rear. bearings for the spare wheels.  Cush rubbers, rear wheel hub and sprocket.
rear wheel hub??

what is it and do I need one to balance the rear wheel??

Thanks

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 14 2006,18:01)
(fstbusa @ Oct. 14 2006,07:59) you'll need brake rotors for the front and rear. bearings for the spare wheels.  Cush rubbers, rear wheel hub and sprocket.
rear wheel hub??

Thanks
The hub is what the cush drive rubbers go in, and if you are gonna go more than 60mph, balance the rear. It sucks shaking at high speed.........

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 14 2006,16:14)
(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 14 2006,18:01)
rear wheel hub??

Thanks
The hub is what the cush drive rubbers go in, and if you are gonna go more than 60mph, balance the rear. It sucks shaking at high speed.........
So the hub is a separate part, cool thanks guys
biggrin.gif

Ok update 1  
biggrin.gif

The parts I'll need are;

rear- wheel, spacer, hub, cush rubbers, bearings, sprocket, and rotor.

front- wheel, bearings, and 2 rotors.

Am I forgeting any parts??

i have some wheels with tires. rear comes with cush drive, rotor and both wheels have bearings ready to mount on bike.

Back