New Chain and Sprockets needed. Take to a shop or try it myself?

Laylas_Mom

Registered
Ok so I need a new chain and sprockets.

What kind should I get for street riding?

What kind of tools do I need?

Is it worth the pain to do it myself? I will have to buy the tools and the rear tire stand. I already have a service manual.

If you have mech. skills I can sell you all the stuff and help you do phone install,or sell you parts and have friend do it for you,or get parts and have dealer do it...$$ is always what makes the decision,lol..

by going option "a"... the diy route, you buy the tools / stands ONCE, by going option "b"...the dealership route...well they got you for the duration of ownership, or at least till you decide to stop giving them your hard earned $$$ and go with option "a".:beerchug:

besides, by doing it yourself, at least you know if the installer was competent and had your safety in mind.

do it yourself so easy and buy your stuff from a good company who will back you up and if you need help they will help you with any questions i found this out the hard way by using someone else won't mention any names on here :whistle:

There is a link in the DIY section that I did a while back. You will need a chain rivit tool.

I would get the parts and then trick someone into doing the work for me. It doens't take that long and I'm sure there are guys out there to help out.

Use your girl power and get it done...

On another thought, I could mail you my chain rivit tool and you can do it yourself.

You don't need a rear stand, but it does make it easier to work on.

New Chain and Sprockets needed. Take to a shop or try it myself?

Keep in mind that if you're not sure about what you're doing with the chain, the outcome could be very bad for you & the bike. If you don't use a shop, I would have someone help you that has experience.

try it yourself. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Get yourself the motion pro chain tool. I picked mine up from cycle gear. The sprocket you can do with common tools.

you'll get your money's worth out of buying your own tools. Make sure you charge friends :laugh:

My only concern would be the installation of the master link.
It is of utmost importance that it be done perfect, or you will throw a chain, usually at the worst possible time.
Also the alignment of the chain on the sprockets, is very important. The lines on the swingarm are not accurate: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...-out-your-factory-chain-adjustment-marks.html

You can get by with less, but the tools I use are:
Impact gun to get the nut off the front sprocket (not necessary, but nice).
Torque wrench.
Chain breaking tool, and Chain master link tool (both come in the Motion Pro set)
Dremel tool or grinder to grind off 2 links to take off old chain.
Rear wheel alignment tool (I use a Rhino: http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOM...ls&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=
Metric Sockets up to a large size. (the rear axle nut is 36 mm and I forget what the front sprocket nut is)
Vise to hold the cush drive when you take off, and put on the rear sprocket nuts.
Rear stand to support the rear end when taking off the rear wheel.

It is not a hard job, but unless you have it before, I would advise that you get someone who has done this before to walk you through it.
You can get hurt bad if it is not done right.
Good Luck!
(If I was close I would show you but 3500 miles is a bit to far to drive)

Last edited:
I have 17,600 on my origional chain and sprockets. Guy that put my tire on gave me another 1000 before I need to get them replaced. Since I dont have any of the tools I am going to take it to a bike shop that works with our club. Hopefully get a little discount. I was told to get a DID chain and suzuki gears...sound about right?

I have 17,600 on my origional chain and sprockets. Guy that put my tire on gave me another 1000 before I need to get them replaced. Since I dont have any of the tools I am going to take it to a bike shop that works with our club. Hopefully get a little discount. I was told to get a DID chain and suzuki gears...sound about right?

A lot of the guys on here like the EK chains.
I had a ZVX and now have the stronger (strongest) ZZZ chain.
Both are superb.
Check: EK Motorcycle & ATV Chain

I personally use Vortex sprockets:
Check: Vortex Racing Components - Sprockets, Handlebars, Rear Sets...

and have had real good luck with them.
They are cheaper than OEM and work very well.
I have had real good luck with the aluminum rear, although you may want to stick with steel.
Check: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/rand...x-aluminum-rear-sprocket-after-8-000-kms.html

Hey Good Luck and best advice is keep the chain clean and lubed well.

try it yourself. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Get yourself the motion pro chain tool. I picked mine up from cycle gear. The sprocket you can do with common tools.

you'll get your money's worth out of buying your own tools. Make sure you charge friends :laugh:

Agreed, but the 35mm socket, you'll probably have to buy. I put two sets on my '06 and I'm not a mech by any stretch ...

If I was stlll in Sarasota I would come give you a hand. Definately worth doing it yourself and yes you DO need a rear stand to make the job easy. If you plan on riding for a while it will save you some serious cash in the end and if you follow the guide it isnt that bad of a job at all. Go with a gold zzz chain and vortex sprockets, the money you save on the first time doing it will pay for all the tools and save you money everytime after.

Our local Ride Now store is going out of business....I might stop by and see if I can get a good deal on the tools. Everything has to go is the word I received...

You should have a spanner wrench that fits your rear axle nut in your tool kit.

It is very important to stake the master link properly. I can't stress that enough. Failure to do so risks life and limb not to mention bike. Second most important aspect is the rear wheel adjustment. You can't go by the marks on the swingarm until you've ascertained whether they are equal distance from the swing arm pivot bolt.

Honestly, if you have the money I would let the shop who does dozens of them put my set on. Wardie

If you havent done it before it can be a PITA and if you have its easy. You will need $200 to $300 in tools alone. I asked in the GENERAL BIKE RELATED TOPICS thread if there is anyone in the area that can help you. Hope you dont mind. If you were near here I could easily get 10 different org members to do it for ya.

Last edited:
do it jewish GIF

Back