Time for a new chain! How to??

PJ267

Registered
maybe stupid questions but I have never done it before.

Time for a new chain, how to i disconnect it? On the blue master link? do i press out the pins? and on the new one how do connect the master link. Never done this before but I want to learn and buy a new chain tool in the process, thanks for all the help guys and it will save me some money!!! thanks again

Not too hard. Harbor Freight has a chain breaker on sale cheap (like $12) with coupon. I've looked at it and it seems ok.

Be sure to replace the sprockets at the same time. Recommend Sunstar steel sprockets if you're trying to keep the price down. Don't go aluminum unless racing or you like replacing chain and sprockets early.

I thought about doing mine too......However, You may find a dealer to do it for cheap. Mine was $40.00, and for that they get the risk of any failure of a rivet breaking or coming loose and any damage that may occur. It's like paying for insurance and getting the chain replaced for free.

You will need a chain breaker. Grind off the rivets on one side of the master link and use the chain breaker tool to push the rivets out. You can then use bailing wire or the old master link to thread the new chain over the front sprocket by pulling on the old chain. Pull the new chain in with the old from the top.

Install the new master link, make sure you insert the spacers and o rings. Then Use the chain breaker tool to press in your new rivets.

You can replace the sprockets if you need to, but it depends on the mileage on them and wear.

Here is a good "how to" done by Ted. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/71333-drive-chain-replaced.html

Good luck bro.

Last edited:
cheaper and less time consuming to have a local shop do it then buy the nesacerry tools if you dont have em.

Im one for doing it myself, and I have changed out my chain, that being said,I wont do it again.I broke every pin in the kit pushing the rivits through the new one,I had to fabricate one out of an allen wrench to finish the job($80 kit/press) took about an hr total to do it,guys with the right tools and know how can knock it out in 10min, like the shop that did my second chain did

If you are doing sprockets along with the chain ( Highly recommended )

Make sure you remove front sprocket cover and loosen the front sprocket castle nut before doing anything else.

Then I just use a die-grinder to cut off the old chain.

Back