Chain breaker?

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
This may be a dumb question but if i use a chain breaker to get the master link out do i need a new masterlink? or any new parts or can the old ones be reused? never done this before and im taking my chain off to clean ???

Yes, you will need a whole new master link. Why in the world are you taking your chain off to clean it? Clean it on the bike.

He's prob changing out just the sprockets.
I used a grinder w/ a cutoff wheel, and replaced the masterlink w/ a new one.

No not changing out anything. The chain is nasty inside with the o rings and I can't get it all out plus I cleaned the front sprocket up. I didn't take the chain off ill just wait til I replace it. Ill just deal with it being somewhat dirty. Taking it off would have made cleaning it good all over a lot easier
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to try ithe toothbrush when I'm fiddling with the bike next got too hot on me. I had the rear tire off just playin around with the bike and was just wondering about the chain. Thanks for the help guys! Sorry I'm somewhat new to this do it yourself stuff on the bike. I'm learning!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to try ithe toothbrush when I'm fiddling with the bike next got too hot on me. I had the rear tire off just playin around with the bike and was just wondering about the chain. Thanks for the help guys! Sorry I'm somewhat new to this do it yourself stuff on the bike. I'm learning!
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you considered getting a proper chain cleaner? Something like this: KettenMax-Premium (NEW RELEASE)

http://www.kettenmax.com/index.php?cat=c1_KETTENMAX-PREMIUM.html&XTCsid=uinjewfvwy

Last edited:
That's a pretty nice thing but id rather spend the time with a toothbrush. I'm getting a new chain and sprockets sometime soonish anyway I just wanted the bike to be super clean when I get my painted fairings back :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

OK that was pretty cool, But Im thinking I will stick with my free toothbrush I get from the dentist rather than paying $50 for the kit, Which is using 4 toothbrush heads to clean it. :laugh:

I bought a grunge brush. Used it one time half way around the chain and got my toothbrush to finish the job. It aint that great a tool in my opinion.

I bought a grunge brush. Used it one time half way around the chain and got my toothbrush to finish the job. It aint that great a tool in my opinion.

Chain brushed and stuff suck and make it worse from the ones i used before. I will be getting a couple cheap toothbrushes to use next week. My fairings will be done getting painted and be back on by saturday :thumbsup:

Back