Ti Rods - group buy?

What's your position on Ti Rods for your application?

• Yes - I'm looking to buy soon (<8 months)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes - I'm looking to buy in the future (>8 months)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I race but Ti rods are beyond my budget

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No - I mostly street ride and have no need for Ti rods

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other - explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
I figured I would toss this poll out there to get some input and gauge if there's any interest.

I was just curious if there are any hardcore guys thinking about swapping in some Ti rods anytime soon? These will make more hp than steel rods. I might not want to invest in a project if I can't move the parts. I'm not looking to profit I just want to break even with all of the extra sets I would have laying around. The costs are just to high to hold this stuff as inventory.

These are not china built, you'll never see them being sold on fleebay, and these aren't an off the shelf item. I deal with highly reputable companies within the race industry. Companies such as Arrow, Pankle, Cosworth, McLaren, etc.

Some key pro & con info:
wider bearing surface (helps engine life)
less mass (quicker revs & higher rev limit)
Stronger than OE rods

con is that they cost about 3 times as much as steel rods.

i'd love to pick up a set of them, but they're probably way beyond my budget. and i really have zero need for these.

i need a set of rods the ones im looking at are around 850, are these 3x that?

Steel vs Titanium... these are around 750 each. :laugh: These have an overall weight reduction of more than 20% over steel rods.

i need a set of rods the ones im looking at are around 850, are these 3x that?

The est. x3 costs were based on steel rods around the 995 mark.

ti wasn't too expensive till the Iraq war broke out. The ti jackshafts and driveshafts we use on our dragsleds went from $300 to upwards of $800 almost overnight and still haven't come down.

I'm with ya' :banghead:

ti wasn't too expensive till the Iraq war broke out. The ti jackshafts and driveshafts we use on our dragsleds went from $300 to upwards of $800 almost overnight and still haven't come down.

You should see the quotes I have for more exotic metal matrix composits. Makes Ti look like a cheap alternative. :laugh:

everyone likes pictures so here's a pic of one with a very basic H-beam design :rulez:

P4137592.JPG

Its good but way too pricey for a poor bloke like me.Worth the money?It sure looks good
just fit right into it no modifications needed?

Its good but way too pricey for a poor bloke like me.Worth the money?It sure looks good
just fit right into it no modifications needed?

Fits in and uses a wider than stock bearing. The shorter c to c of these rods would work well with a Gen2 crank and domed pistons. As you know, no one would want to take a bone stocker engine and just swap in these rods. Well, Russell would if he had the coin laying around. :laugh:

Merlot, you know me... always trying to push extremes but it always comes down to costs. :please::banghead::thumbsup:

Back