Ti Sprocket Nut--Possible?

Mythos

Registered
I had planned to draw up a CAD file of an OEM countershaft sprocket nut and submit it to emachineshop.com. I'd like the nut to be made from Ti steel to drop a little weight. I did some research and found info indicating that Ti is nonmagnetic or "paramagnetic" at best. If so, Ti is not going to allow the speed sensor on my Gen2 to function.

Is this true that Ti is nonmagnetic? I don't want to get too exotic and expensive on this but is there some cost effective way to make Ti magnetic?

Thanks,

Mythos

Last edited:
HA--OK thank you Dustin. Then I will probably be able to do this when I get the busa's sprockets changed later this winter.

I actually was asking for my ZX-14 on the sly though. I have a Gen1 ZX-14 and I am sure the sprocket nut is what the speed sensor reads. The nut has ordinary hex flats at the base but it also has square flats that stick out on top of the nut. Every time a corner of the square passes the speed sensor reacts to it. They used to bypass the top speed limiter by grinding one corner off the square part of the nut.

This is the ZX-14 countershaft sprocket nut.
VVVVVVV

So you think I am correct in assuming Ti won't work because of it's non-magnetic property?

Thanks for input!

I had planned to draw up a CAD file of an OEM countershaft sprocket nut and submit it to emachineshop.com. I'd like the nut to be made from Ti steel to drop a little weight. I did some research and found info indicating that Ti is nonmagnetic or "paramagnetic" at best. If so, Ti is not going to allow the speed sensor on my Gen2 to function.

Is this true that Ti is nonmagnetic? I don't want to get too exotic and expensive on this but is there some cost effective way to make Ti magnetic?

Thanks,

Mythos
Hi. Why not a Ti countershaft sprocket with an aluminum nut? I have the outside out put shaft support kit from Robinson industries. It came with steel nuts, I worked with Bill at Robinsons and he made new nuts from 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum.

Hi. Why not a Ti countershaft sprocket with an aluminum nut? I have the outside out put shaft support kit from Robinson industries. It came with steel nuts, I worked with Bill at Robinsons and he made new nuts from 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum.
I like the idea of a Ti sprocket if I could get that for under $300. Aluminum nut won't work because the speed sensor on the Gen1 ZX-14 reads those square flats you see in the pic I put in OP. The only thing I could do is somehow attach a steel sleeve so that square would be magnetic. Too much trouble brewing there.

BTW, I might check on a Ti chain for the busa but only if I can get it in black. Looks like I will be able to get a Ti nut and who knows....maybe a Ti countershaft sprocket. :)

Looks like Outlaw Performance sells a Ti sprocket nut for the Hayabusa.

Titanium counter shaft sprocket nut for Hayabusa 2008-2018 and GSXR 2009-2015 | eBay

@michael parris heuberger would you really consider an aluminum nut for the countershaft sprocket? That's 105 ft lbs torque spec with thread locking agent. I doubt you'd ever find an aftermarket nut with the blades that grab onto the threads so I'd say Locktite is a must even if wasn't used in the factory installation.
Hi. Yes it is aluminum. You go Robinson Transmission and look up busa output shaft support that is what I have. Bill designed the light weight parts. On the standard kit they come with steel nuts. Just one of many 1 off parts for my bike.

Last edited:
@michael parris heuberger

damn:confused:. Thanks. I might consider some other aluminum nut if I can find one the right size & pitch. Axle nuts should take 90 ft lb. 105 isn't that much more. I am really leery about undertorquing a front sprocket nut. The one on my ZX-14 came loose and was hanging by a point that caught on the bent lockwasher. I figure it turned about 30° and it was like that for most of the time it was on the bike. :shocked:

men?

if i understood correctly your are talking about the big nut at the front sprocket here and its torque?

if yes have a look at the busa manuals page gen2 3a-1 or gen1 3-16

at both the nut gets 145 Nm

and, see same pages, this nut is "secured" by the allen bolt which fastens the speed sensor rotor.

exceptionally !! I deviate a little from the whb by doing without the thread locker on the thread of the shaft when torquening it with 145 Nm
and instead applying medium-strength thread locker to the Allen screw afterwards and then tightening it with the prescribed 18 Nm.

reason:
torquening the nut with 145 Nm plus medium-strength locker on its thread can only be loosened later with the greatest (or completely insane) effort.
even my 1,000 Nm "Hazet" pneumatic screwdriver may then reach its limit.

to avoid these "loosening" issues,
i already used this, my, way well over 100 times and there have never been any issues.

the allen (with medium-strength thread locker) keeps the rotor tight and this way the rotor "secures" the sprocket´s nut well.

@Mythos
pls do not mix the values of your zx14 with those of the busa - that can ! , in worst case, cause bigger issues ;)

in advance ;) - please excuse me if i missed the mark :bowdown:

Last edited:
I'm not sure the speed sensor's little bolt is going to hold the nut on for long if the nut ever gets loose but it might provide a warning sign. If the speed sensor gets loose and turns, the bike will have issues and the owner is bound to figure out the sprocket nut is loose by tracking down the speed sensor problem.

I'm not sure the speed sensor's little bolt is going to hold the nut on for long if the nut ever gets loose but it might provide a warning sign. If the speed sensor gets loose and turns, the bike will have issues and the owner is bound to figure out the sprocket nut is loose by tracking down the speed sensor problem.
Hi I do have a company that will make Ti counter shaft sprockets for me but H of a lot of $ to make one offs. the more you make the less they will cost each.

WOOP WOOP!! I received a reply from Robinson Industries today, Sunday.

"It [billet HD countershaft sprocket nut] is a direct replacement for the stock nut and will work with the stock rotor. 105 lbs ft seems a bit much, use whatever the factory calls for. Blue Loctite would be ok but you may have to apply some heat to remove it."

I will order one and update this thread to inform other owners if this nut fits the stock countershaft of a Gen2 Hayabusa. I'm sure it does but just so we know for sure, I will report back here.

@Berlin Germany My 2008 Hayabusa SM specs 145 Nm for torque on the nut and 28 Nm for the speed sensor rotor bolt. I will use your method of torquing both the nut and rotor bolt to spec with thread locking
cement having been first applied to the rotor bolt. Thanks for another good tip.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 9.51.26 PM.png

Back