Throttle hand wrist problems, looking for...

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
My wrist has been bothering me (Sharp pain and some burning) since I bought the Busa (I'm sure I already had issues) this bike just pointed them out. More like the base of my right palm. I added GenMar risers that didn't do it for me. I went on a 350 mile ride last Thursday and finished it off, I was having some real pain not occasional after about 225 miles and pushed it through the day. My hand was completely numb on Friday. I went ahead and saw the Doc earlier today. Carpal tunnel/Tendonitis and I pinched a nerve on Thursday. I am gonna try IBU 800's 3 a day for the swelling and if it doesn't come down then they want me to have Cortisone shots. I have an appointment for EMG to check the nerve damage. I still have no feeling in my Thumb and palm...

I put a ThrottleMeister on the bike Friday so now I can let go of the bars and flex a bit. I already use Gel gloves. The Doc thinks a thicker grip might help.

I'm already using my legs more to hold myself.

I promised him I would not ride for a couple of weeks or so While I have the brace on...

I've already got the problem so I need to work with it.

Any thoughts, I'm not big on surgery but that may be my only option down the road. I just need to try not to agggrevate the thing so much while riding.

And yes I addressed the problem with my job, they are going to buy me a new chair/desk setup with a Trackball...

Grump

Take a look at the Grip Puppies. They slide over your existing grips. Cost less than $10.00. When installing, use a little soapy water to slip them on.

i got the same problem when riding my bike just not that bad... what helps me out is dropping my elbows down so my forearms are parallel to the ground...helps a lot when i do that...you have to be slightly hunched over more but its much much better.

I've got Pro-Grip 719s on mine. They are kinda comfy.

Dude , I think you'll find the cortisone shot feels like its a miracle cure , it will work but its only masking the problem so dont think your all set , keep on it till you find the cause

Well I know there is Tendonitis, I had it in my foot, I'll never forget that feeling. The pinched nerve is most certainly from Thursdays ride, I knew something went wrong but had to get home. As for the carpal tunnel, eh', that seems to be everyones answer for wrist pain. I'm willing to bet If/when the nerve frees up with some stretching and excercise the wrist will come around. I never had the pain until getting on the Busa so the answer is there. I've had "Fat" cruiser grips for the last three years, I think it will help...

Since you mentioned that you've had fat cruiser grips for the last three years, I'm guessing it is a safe bet to assume that you're just getting back into, or possibly this is your first sportbike?

Either way, as you have seen the riding position is extremely different from a cruiser. I have somewhat cronic lower back pain and the Busa just seems to aggravate the hell out of it. I would recommend you pay close attention to your riding style. Alot of people experience the same problems you describe and I would guess that more than 50% of them are able to adjust their riding style to make themselves more comfortable.

- Ride up on the tank as close as you can
- Use your knees to take pressure off your back and arms
- Don't use your arms to support your upper body
- Make sure your elbows are flexed / bent and not locked straight when riding.
- Ride for 20-30 minutes regularly to build up your back / arm / wrist muscles for this position.

Getting softer/fatter grips may help, but I'm betting in the long run it is not THE solution. Since you already have GenMar risers on I won't suggest another front end option like the HeliBars, but you may want to seriously consider putting a pair of lowering links aka dogbones on the rear. The 3 hole style has holes to drop the rear end of the bike -2 inches to -4 inches.

I would start with -2" and try that. It doesn't sound like a lot but coupled with the Genmar, it may put your hand in a more level position and help to take some upper body weight off your wrists.

The other thing that comes to mind is how much play do you have in your throttle? If your throttle has enough loose action in it, then it needs to be adjusted and that could be causing your problem as well. Minor adjustments can be made with a thumbscrew at the handlebars. When I had some work done on my bike, they threw the throttle out of whack, leaving at least 1/4 turn worth of play and that cause too much bending in my wrists and my fingers would go numb in 20 minutes.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Good info Altec. When I first got my bike I had a big problem with numbness in my hand. Cleared up most of it by changing my riding position.

I noticed severe wrist pain after extended time, but I also cover the brake the entire time I ride,I lowered the brake handle probably ten degrees, and it seemed to help, but I think the others are correct about the wrist angle, be it from covering the brake, or from arms too extended. I need to do some research into this, because without a form of cruise control, this makes it a dealbreaker for long rides for me.

DNG, I suffer from tendonitis in both wrists and ride the Busa all the time. i learned the more I used my legs and lower back and less weight on the hands the wrist pain is less. also, i will sit up and use just my finger tips to hold the throttle while cruising the highways and when riding in the twisties i make sure by elbows are level if not lower than my wrists. Another thing I do is stop about every 45 min for around 10-15 min. this allows me to stretch the hand and wrists. road to colorado 400 miles with no real pain using these methods.

ergonomics. I find I get more wrist pain when i don't pay attention to hand placement. When I get lazy, I make more of a sharp angle between my forearm, and hand, which makes my wrist ache. Pay more attention, and keep your hand and forearm as straight as possible, regrabbing in a better final position, as often as necessary. It sounds like you've taken care of the other big problem, of leaning to much weight on those wrists.

Good info Altec. When I first got my bike I had a big problem with numbness in my hand. Cleared up most of it by changing my riding position.
Yeah, me too with the numbness. I had to keep telling myself to get off the grips. Your hands should just be barely resting on the grips, but your most natural inclination is to let your hands take your weight, which makes them hurt and go numb.

Like he said, let your back and legs take the weight, and keep riding. You'll build up the muscles you need.

Three years on a Warrior before this and before that was a Bandit 1200, VFR, CBR600, Katana 750, Hurricane 1000. I also ride a quad and have had too many different ones too list...

I have got the using my legs thing working and I have learned to push myself to the tank, I have managed 950 miles on her so far. I added the Throttle Meister (but probably too late). I have not looked into the lowering links yet, Is there a "favored" brand on here?

The Doc thinks a fatter grip may allow a little more circulation...

My throttle is super touchy, no free play at all. I have it so turning the bars doesn't change the idle speed any tighter and it revs her up(The GenMars put all the cables and lines tighter than on stock).

I tried gripping further out on the controls last Thursday, pinky and ring fingers on the bar ends. I'm not sure if it was this or the length of time on the bike that pinched the nerve, GPS said about 4.5 hours seat time, 2 hour break in the middle.

You are still putting too much weight on your hands. But try the Grip Puppies. If the Doc thinks a fatter grip will help, this is the way to find out.

Back