Thought I Was Helping

super851

Registered
The other day, I found out the a good friend of mine just bought an 04, R1. I was very happy for him but I told him of the information that was post on our board and forwarded that info to him. During this time we were talking on the phone about it and the first thing that came out of his mouth was the following: "Why do all of you people who never owned an R1 always try to put them down"? My question is, was I out of line to tell him/share the info that I found out about the 04 R1's? My intent was for his safety only. Thanks for letting me vent.

Only wrong after the fact. He already made up his mind and bought the bike, so most likely was just looking at some celebration.
biggrin.gif
I assume a grudge match is out of the question.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Yea... If you aren't helping him (he already bought the bike), then you should rejoice with him and not tell him how bad it is... no one likes that even if you are right.

CLoud

I understand you points and I can see the logic in it, but my only thoughts was for his safety, I lost a very very close friend because his engine locked, spun two main bearings so when it comes to things like engine stuff, tires, brakes on a bike I'm very causious. I will apologize to him for spoiling his glory; I don't want to loose another friend because of a defect from the factory!
sad.gif

I don't think that you were wrong just warning him. But since you have a busa he took it as if you were bagging on his baby!

I understand you points and I can see the logic in it, but my only thoughts was for his safety, I lost a very very close friend because his engine locked, spun two main bearings so when it comes to things like engine stuff, tires, brakes on a bike I'm very causious.  I will apologize to him for spoiling his glory; I don't want to loose another friend because of a defect from the factory!
sad.gif
humility and tactfullness can prevent these types of issues and still get the point accross.

There are ways to point a person in the direction you want them to go in without explicity telling them to go in that direction. For example...

You could have shown him the R1 site and then just happen to land on that thread...(the thread you were talking about originated in the R1 forums.)

I am kind of thinking you may have choice this approach, " I have heard those new R1s may have a lot of problems with them..." This type of statement would put anyone on their defensive after spending 11k for the badest toy around. I don't know what you said, but I would think about how you said it...

smile.gif
Just my 2 cents, not trying to hammer you for doing what you did, just trying to help a bro out in the future...
smile.gif

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082744416 -->

smile.gif

Thanks for the lesson in tack, I've always been the type of person that believes in getting the point across.

Back