this will one day have some BEARING

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I'm half way thru a complete teardown on the Busa . Right now I'm goofin' with the wheels . Which reminded me of last seasons bearing failure .

I thought I'd post up a few pictures and an answer to our problem .

For those experienced wrenchers....go have a beer , for some of the newbies an' guys just starting to do their own repairs , this might be of interest .

I had a front wheel bearing fail . I believe it failed in part due to the fact that Suzuki used a bearing sealed only on one side . Also , perhaps in part due to 1 or 2 wheelies decending a bit faster than they should have . {that explains the cracked race,but not the corrosion}
I should mention thou , before the flamers get to flaming , that I dont use a pressure washer to wash my bike . I dont excessively wash my bike . I dont ride in the rain[unless caught in it by chance] . I have proper heated storage , blah blah blah .
Anyway , the following pics show the old bearings,the new type I'll be using , and the bearing which looks like it was used on the Titanic .

hav a rust-free one.....RSD.

bearing_1.jpg

Teach yer dog not to wee wee on yer bike wheels there, bro. Looks like the urine really ate that bearing up!
eek2.gif

I am thinking you just need to quit treating it like a PWC...

Do we need a special RSD "Attention" sticker? "Attention: This motorcycle intended for On Road use ONLY. Running along the beach 'Top Gun' style will void warranty."
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: "SChpeling"|1078164789 -->

yup, water will degrease them, I dont pressure wash my bike or ride it in the rain it washes out the grease, another beautiful design by suzuki, BTW where did you get the sealed bearings, good idea...

OUCH! Damn RSD, that bearing looks like it was sitting in a pool for a few months...so, stock bearings aren't sealed on both sides? Or did you just get a bad bearing? BTW...yes, you are speaking to an idiot when it comes to bike parts, but I'm slowly and painfully learning what I can...

Thanks for the info...I don't ride much in the rain, but that doesn't mean my Busa hasn't seen some downpours! Wonder if they're on the way to being rusty...

Thanks for the pointer, Rubb. I have a 99, so I can only wonder what my bearing look like.

OUCH!  Damn RSD, that bearing looks like it was sitting in a pool for a few months...so, stock bearings aren't sealed on both sides?  Or did you just get a bad bearing?  BTW...yes, you are speaking to an idiot when it comes to bike parts, but I'm slowly and painfully learning what I can...

Thanks for the info...I don't ride much in the rain, but that doesn't mean my Busa hasn't seen some downpours!  Wonder if they're on the way to being rusty...
thats correct M , stock bearings are only sealed on one side.

BTW where did you get the sealed bearings, good idea...
I buy all my bearings from a bearing house . Never from the dealer . For this particular application(f.wheel bearing) Suzuki will want to charge you up the a$$ , and never provide free Vasoline .
Call a bearing place , read them the numbers on the side of the bearing (they wont care what its for or what it came out of) a bearing is a bearing...for the most part.

That bearing from Suzuki 20-30 bucks easy....from a bearing house...8 dollars . Yer front wheel needs 2 . So the pennies add up fast .
you read them the number , in this case its a KOYO from Japan 6205RS is the stock one....they respond with "We have that , we also have a KOYO 6205RSC3, same width,inside an outside diameter , same same , but its sealed both sides ." Rubbah say...." I'll take it".

using a bearing supply house as opposed to dealers has saved me thousands over the years .

I'm in the middle of a complete teardown .
I need : 2 for the front wheel
couple for the back wheel
3 for the swing arm
2 in the head
it can really add up to big dough in a hurry .

Now, if yer not faint of heart, you can, prior to installation or has the seasons tick by , carefully remove one of the seals and inspect or re-grease as desired . If you've never done it before, practice on some old ones.....

hav a good 1....RSD.

Any chance you would give us novice wrenchers a how-to on changing the bearings?

Thanx -Dan
no sweat Dan ....althou the manual does a gr8 job of explaining it step/step. Removal is nothing . Easy (because chances are yer tossing the old one anyway) .Bearings are cheap ,if you know where to buy em, so why instal a used one? Its reinstallation that needs close attention payed and a few speciality tools . The special tools(hydralic press for instance) aren't absolutely nessecary , but they are a huge bonus .
I could sit here for an hour an' go thru it with ya Dan,I just dont have the time tonight buddy . But if yer ever stuck on this prob...or any other....gimme a call .

hav a good 1.....RSD.

Do the replacement double sealed bearings have the same speed and weight ratings?
rock.gif
If they do this is a must the first time the wheels come off.
smile.gif

I just took mine out (5000mi) to send out the rims to have them chromed. They looked fine. Granted you had triple the miles on yours.

Any chance you would give us novice wrenchers a how-to on changing the bearings?

Thanx -Dan
no sweat Dan ....althou the manual does a gr8 job of explaining it step/step.   Removal is nothing . Easy (because chances are yer tossing the old one anyway) .Bearings are cheap ,if you know where to buy em, so why instal a used one?  Its reinstallation that needs close attention payed and a few speciality tools . The special tools(hydralic press for instance) aren't absolutely nessecary , but they are a huge bonus .
           I could sit here for an hour an' go thru it with ya Dan,I just dont have the time tonight buddy . But if yer ever stuck on this prob...or any other....gimme a call .

hav a good 1.....RSD.
RSD, Question.. Do you have a number to the bearing place you used.. I need to get some bearings.. I would like to save some cash doing this also.. Thanks..

I'm half way thru a complete teardown on the Busa . Right now I'm goofin' with the wheels . Which reminded me of last seasons bearing failure .

I thought I'd post up a few pictures and an answer to our problem .

For those experienced wrenchers....go have a beer , for some of the newbies an' guys just starting to do their own repairs , this might be of interest .

I had a front wheel bearing fail . I believe it failed in part due to the fact that Suzuki used a bearing sealed only on one side . Also , perhaps in part due to 1 or 2 wheelies decending a bit faster than they should have . {that explains the cracked race,but not the corrosion}
I should mention thou , before the flamers get to flaming , that I dont use a pressure washer to wash my bike . I dont excessively wash my bike .  I dont ride in the rain[unless caught in it by chance] . I have proper heated storage , blah blah blah .
              Anyway , the following pics show the old bearings,the new type I'll be using , and the bearing which looks like it was used on the Titanic .

hav a rust-free one.....RSD.
Ok, you gave us the number for the front bearings.. Now, what are the numbers for the rear bearings. The rear bearings that are in the rim, not on the other unit...

Me and jim are running into a problem.. the numbers and letters on the bearings are the same for the front and rear, but the sizes are different...

What number did you order for the rear ones rubber???

Back