This was weird

Bobby914

Registered
Going down the highway running 85 90 just cruising and then boom bike shuts down! So I get over to the side and key if off and then on and it turns over slow like a bad battery. Then literally 60 seconds later key off then on and it starts and run like nothing ever happened the rest of the ride. Any clue where to start?! pulling my hair out or whats left of it lmao

Could be lots of things. Start simple,work up from there. Battery voltage,conections,etc. Battery voltage at 4-5K RPM. Let us know after that. Could be a battery on its last legs.Sounds most like a bad connection thou.
Rubb.

Battery voltage 12.6 with bike off and 14.9-15.1 at 4500 5000 rpm. pulling the plastics now, gonna check the starter relay and starter connections

I need to throw this in: The initial slow restart may be "normal" (to Suzuki executives, those commies!).

With that in mind check that the kickstand ain't a floppin' in the wind, as well as the safety switch.

Battery voltage 12.6 with bike off and 14.9-15.1 at 4500 5000 rpm. pulling the plastics now, gonna check the starter relay and starter connections
Battery V is fine...stator is doing what it is supposed to. Starter relay and starter connections wont kill a bird in flight. Its already started and running.
If it were a side stand switch or tip over,it would kill the bike,but would not cause it to turn over slow as in your case. Just my opinion,they are more like on/off switch's. You have an issue that sounds more like bad connection.
Rubb.

it was just the motor, guages, clock, and everything was on. I checked the connections and relays and the stator is charging, Would the PC 3 be the culprit as it came with the bike when I bought it a few years ago?

Would the PC 3 be the culprit as it came with the bike when I bought it a few years ago?
Power Commanders have been causing people issues since they were invented. Could be...
How many times has it done this? Is this a freak,one time occurance?
Rubb.

when I checked the kickstand switch I noticed my kickstand did not come all the way back up with spring pressure, so going down the highway it may have vibrated down enough to trip the switch? It is a one time occurance so far.

I need to throw this in: The initial slow restart may be "normal" (to Suzuki executives, those commies!).

With that in mind check that the kickstand ain't a floppin' in the wind, as well as the safety switch.
when I checked the kickstand switch I noticed my kickstand did not come all the way back up with spring pressure, so going down the highway it may have vibrated down enough to trip the switch? It is a one time occurance so far.
Took it for a good rip and all is well...Sooo I guess it fixed itself lol

Perhaps HW had it figured. :thumbsup:
If yer happy,we're happy. :D
Rubb.

@rubbersidedown I guess I have to be until it shutsdown or codes because all my checks from the stator to the battery and the relays in between show me things are working properly. I couldnt get it to replicate the same issue. I did tighten up the throttle position connection from the pc3, culprit maybe?

@rubbersidedown I guess I have to be until it shutsdown or codes because all my checks from the stator to the battery and the relays in between show me things are working properly. I couldnt get it to replicate the same issue. I did tighten up the throttle position connection from the pc3, culprit maybe?
PC's have caused so many issues over the years. Seems most go with an' ECU flash now,maybe they will go the way of the Do-Do.
Rubb.

If it happens again...... change the spark plugs out.
To elaborate, I’ve been through this before. Had this issue with the engine shutting off, then able to restart. Pulled my hair out until I took it to a mechanic. Mechanic replaces ignition and cut new keys, didn’t fix, swapped out the computer, didn’t fix. Went on his special forum and posed the questions. Next day he swapped the spark plugs based on feedback from his network and never had the problem again. A 7$ spark plug cost me 1600$ in pain. It’s worth replacing them, especially if they are e3 type. That my 2 cents

Back