Weird intermittent starter hiccup...

rashad

Registered
Hey guys,

Sometimes..not every time.. but usually when someone is watching, my bike does something funny.

I will go to start it, and the starter will turn over and then sound like it catches on something and then goes again. The bike will start and stall.

Then if i try RIGHT after that I will have to hold the button down for like 3 seconds at least before it starts.

If I wait a few seconds it will start right up...weird???

Feels like the starter teeth slip or something..but I dont get why the bike would just stall then.

edit: bike is an 02 with 11K

Last edited:
seems someone else posted something like this.. there is a clutch on the starter that was screwed up..

Upgrade to an 03+ starter setup. It will keep getting worse, resulting in not starting at all (bad) or coming apart and taking the cases with it (worse).

Upgrade to an 03+ starter setup. It will keep getting worse, resulting in not starting at all (bad) or coming apart and taking the cases with it (worse).

Really??!

Wow I didnt realize it was that extreme!!... What all is needed and how hard is that upgrade?

I did a search for a few things involving starter but couldnt find anything like my issue...

Back