Thinking about NOT lowering...

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
I've been thinking about just keeping my bike at stock height... because I'm comfortable with it, etc.

But, IF I lower it 1" front/rear... what are the advantages vs. disadvantages? Handling, launching, stability, etc... I already know it will look a little better, so no need to comment on that.

Please help. Thanks.

(i've already ordered the parts to lower front/rear and if i decide to keep it stock height, i'll put them up for sale still in the box and unopened)

hey Pan-I dropped my Bus down 1" front n rear last week and I've put on over 300 miles since-you will notice the bike will scrape alot sooner so be careful with those cans-I have HMFs hi-mount system so I dont have to worry too much.

You can still corner well on the bike, but if cornering is key to your style of riding, Id drop the front 1" and RAISE the rear 1"-bike will be much better at turn-in and stays very stable in corners-but it looks like your bike is waiting for Big John Holmes to run up behind it n "show it some love":the azz is up in the air.

IMO-just drop it. Try it out for a while and see if it works for you, then if you cant stand them, ditch-em. wont lose too much more money goin that route.

Cornering isn't really key to my style of riding.... launching and blasting down the road is. But I was curious about how the bike will take sharp twisty roads because I encounter them from time to time and like to take the turns as fast as I can without risking a crash. So, I still want the bike to be able to handle the twisties. But riding twisties isn't really my "thing".

in that case, go for it man. I like how the front stays planted even when I really nail it in the lower gears...she doesnt try to go into orbit anymore, just squats a lil harder and off she goes! and it looks SOOOO cool!! let one of my boys borrow the Busa last night and he fell in love-even his dad wanted a ride before I took off with it this afternoon!

I'll probably do it... because it does look groovy as hell slammed!

I have thought and thought about lowering mine but still have not done it. I see lowered ones and they all look so cool. But, I keep coming back to the thought that those Suzuki engineers are amoungst the best in the business and designed the best performance bike out there. And that makes me think that if it should be lowered, it would have been by them. Does that makes sense or am I all wet here? I don't want to get flamed but, like Pan does, I am laying out my thoughts so you guys can show me wether I am right or wrong in them.

I can tell you if you like to launch drop it.

I go 3" when I'm on the track and 2" on the street.

No its not comfortable and it scrapes a lot, but dayaum it looks good and leaves hard.

This does not hold true for cornering, if thats your thing go up (+1) in the rear. PM GPW he is the man in this area.

I have mine down 2" in the rear and 1.25" in the front. I still can hang pretty close with the guys on bike night in the twisties, just really have to hang off the seat quite far. I think it rides better in wind and traffic turbulence low like it is now. I never had a problem with scrapping parts but then I only weigh 165lbs!!!! I think that has a lot to do with not scrapping parts. Actually waiting for some parts and then I am puttin on a 750 swing arm cause I do like riding the twisties.
biggrin.gif

(Shanling @ Sep. 17 2006,07:55) I have thought and thought about lowering mine but still have not done it. I see lowered ones and they all look so cool. But, I keep coming back to the thought that those Suzuki engineers are amoungst the best in the business and designed the best performance bike out there. And that makes me think that if it should be lowered, it would have been by them. Does that makes sense or am I all wet here? I don't want to get flamed but, like Pan does, I am laying out my thoughts so you guys can show me wether I am right or wrong in them.
I was thinking that exact same thought....

But the "engineers" also put on crappy stock pipes, reflectors, and a huge mudflap...

I guess the stock height gives riders the best of both worlds right out of the showroom and it's up to the riders to pick n' choose what's best when they take it home.

Point made and taken.

Oh and the reflector thingy. Rumor is that some higher-up at Suzuki has a relative in the reflector business...and the engineers almost mutinied when they were told the bike would have them. The mudflap and exhaust were their way of getting back!

ices_rofl.gif

(Shanling @ Sep. 17 2006,05:55) I have thought and thought about lowering mine but still have not done it. I see lowered ones and they all look so cool. But, I keep coming back to the thought that those Suzuki engineers are amoungst the best in the business and designed the best performance bike out there. And that makes me think that if it should be lowered, it would have been by them. Does that makes sense or am I all wet here? I don't want to get flamed but, like Pan does, I am laying out my thoughts so you guys can show me wether I am right or wrong in them.
Those engineers (who couldn't properly design a rear subframe, starter, cam chain tensioner, kickstand, or be bothered to undercut 2nd gear) work with averages. If you're taller or shorter than the average person you're left in an unsafe or uncomfortable situation.

I dropped 1" in front and 2" in back and the bike now feels like it was custom fit for me. I'm 100X more confident in every situation. I no longer dread certain parking spaces at an incline or gravel lots.

I've noticed NO ride changes no matter how rough the road surface is. I used a spacer kit on the front which allowed the top plate to raise 1" so absolutely nothing changed as far as spring rate goes.

I have noticed the bike isn't as prone to power wheelie under hard acceleration and the closer you get to the ground the more aerodynamic the bike becomes. The bars being 1" higher was an added bonus for those long road trips.

My biggest regret was putting it off for 2 years. Now if I had to go back to stock height I'd just get rid of the bike.

If I was taller and the bike fit me I wouldn't bother dropping it. From a "looks" standpoint I barely notice a difference when looking at it in a parking lot.

Lower the front with top plate spacers or a new top plate. Using a strap for street riding is cheesy...sort of like a Camaro held together with duct tape and bailing wire sitting on the front lawn of a rented slab house.

Nice thing about lowering is that it's not permanent and you can put it back if you don't like it or decide to sell the bike. At a total of $80 bucks it's a cheap mod too.
Only side effect was the kickstand. I bought a spare off ebay and did the mod of grinding out a notch until I got the right lean angle and I still have my "less modded" original if I decide to put it back to stock height.

(Shanling @ Sep. 17 2006,07:55) I have thought and thought about lowering mine but still have not done it. I see lowered ones and they all look so cool. But, I keep coming back to the thought that those Suzuki engineers are amoungst the best in the business and designed the best performance bike out there. And that makes me think that if it should be lowered, it would have been by them. Does that makes sense or am I all wet here? I don't want to get flamed but, like Pan does, I am laying out my thoughts so you guys can show me wether I am right or wrong in them.
those same engineers are probably around 5' whatever tall and im sure they were/did try to build the best all round bike when they built/designed the busa you just have to make it yours ones you get it. as far as launching i lowered mine about two weeks ago and so far have ran an r1 and beat him by 2-3 lengths as soon as light turned green i lauched he wheelied rest is history . whatever you do make it your own suzuki just gives you the greatest platform to start with,lol!
biggrin.gif

Back