Thinking about getting a BMW

masterblaster

Registered
Yep the GTL K1600 bagger version, anyone here have one? Thoughts? I been lurking on the K1600 forum, they are complain more than the guys on my Harley forum (me included), so any info or experiences to share is appreciated.

I have test rode one, and test rode the gt version twice, my friend owns the gt also, loves it, he has every damn option you can get and then some.

The are heavy at slow speeds and in town you feel a lot of the heat because of all the fairing, other then that there are cool.

Headlights rock and so does the dash/gps/ xm radio controls, heated everything. Great warrants and roadside assistance. Go BMW

Yes I'm a BMW owner :thumbsup:

Expensive to purchase and maintain - unproven. I just bought a Concours vs GT 1600 - reasons - purchase cost, maintenance cost, nearest dealer +1 hour away and new and relatively unproven platform.

Glowing initial reviews but it's hard to sort out the "it's the newest and shiniest hype" from the real world everyday ride. For the GTL you have a similiar situration and that's GTL vs. the ever lauded and time tested Goldwing. Tough choice - If I had deeper poctkets I would have given the GT 1600 an "all in" try!

BTW, I'm really enjoying the Concours for a variety of reasons, but it's been really great as the weather cools here in the DC area. It makes freezing morning commutes quite comfortable with a lot less gear.

I test rode a Connie last month, I like it a lot, did a wheelie out of parking lot of dealer (wife on back, she wasn't happy), lots of power and rides like its on rails. I have a Sprint GT so its hard justifying another sport tourer in that class even though the connie is way more powerful with more gadgets, electric shield especially. I really am looking at the BMW to have a choice between jumping on the Ultra or the BMW for a run to Cali or Seattle or wherever for two weeks. I also test rode the GW, did not like the seating position or the 5 speed trans power and other aspects great though. I used to live in FFX and don't know if I would ever ride DC traffic on a bike, worst traffic place I ever rode, although some of the best riding oin the world just west of there.

BTW, I'm really enjoying the Concours for a variety of reasons, but it's been really great as the weather cools here in the DC area. It makes freezing morning commutes quite comfortable with a lot less gear.

Well my friend... I currently have 5 two wheelers in the garage, so adding another cycle (GT 1600) at 20 k plus was a bridge a little too far for me and when I say me - I mean my wife. :) If your look'in for a little encouragement to pull the trigger here ya go...

I read all the forums extensively about the new 1600 and I could not find any pervasive discussion of any serious issues with the platform. I haven't read one bad review (magazine or private owner). By all accounts - the engine is outrageous - real grunt in any gear and available at lower revs. All the reviews say the handling is really second to none in it's class. All the electronic bells and whistles in a very user friendly interface. It looks fantastic! It's BMW cool! If you have the financial means, buy it fully loaded and enjoy the new bike feel. You'll have warranty - if you encounter a problem - get BMW to fix then sell it. It's an adventure.

PS - I commute on Interstate 66 through FFX a couple days a week from PW county to downtown DC. No joke about the traffic -old cell phones where bad enough but folks using smart phones makes it almost suicidal, but I remain vigilent and unafraid. It is what it is, and I love riding whether it's 66 or the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not trying to hasten my demise - simply trying to enjoy the time until my demise. :) ATGATT though!

B

We have a K1200 that we got for longer 2-up road trips. We got a great deal on it and it hasn't been any more expensive than any of the other bikes we have. It's incredibly comfortable for long trips.

One day when I get old and slow, I'm definitely getting a Beamer

Just make sure it isn't this BMW S1000RR!
1836e13563824e1e5e4c54c436f869e4.jpg

I sold my Ultra and bought a Connie in the spring. I looked at all the cruisers and settled on the connie as it appeared to me to be the best bang for the buck. I've put about 6K miles on the beast and have enjoyed each and every mile. It does everything pretty well. Plenty of grunt all the way from idle to redline for a cruiser. Two up riding is cake as well.

I'm sure the Beemer is first class but I have no doubt the Connie is just as much fun to ride :-)

The S1000 is a POS. Dif category, get the HP version if you are still that young and ...... Thanks for all the feedback and advice gents.

I believe your half way there....:whistle:

So when are we riding?

You waited to long. I found a job down here so now I have to schedule around a girlfriend and job to do my riding. We will hook up one weekend. Maybe masterblaster can come along too with his old mans bike:laugh:

The Biusa is not an old mans bike:laugh: I am ready to ride anytime you guys want. Can do this weekend.

You waited to long. I found a job down here so now I have to schedule around a girlfriend and job to do my riding. We will hook up one weekend. Maybe masterblaster can come along too with his old mans bike:laugh:

The S1000 is a POS. Dif category, get the HP version if you are still that young and ...... Thanks for all the feedback and advice gents.

I agree that its in a different category but my S1000 has been a great bike

I agree that its in a different category but my S1000 has been a great bike

Very much agreed, I'm on my second one and loving it, waiting for my hp4 comp to come in making it my 3rd s1000rr, great bikes:thumbsup:

Very much agreed, I'm on my second one and loving it, waiting for my hp4 comp to come in making it my 3rd s1000rr, great bikes:thumbsup:

I've looked at and sat on a few. Beautiful bike, but a bit cramped. It's like a supermodel. I'd like to take one for a ride but I don't know if I could live with one.

Back