THE  LAUNCH

cache

Banned
The strips are opening soon, and lots of practice to be had.

There are many different concepts and choices when considering how to launch.
This has been talked about before, but lets make this easy for reference and post your tecniques here.

Lets see how everyone prepares and executes their launch here.

This is how I do, I get a feel for how much acceleration is takes to gently lift the front wheel. Not wheelie, but just enough to get the front wheel about an inch off the ground. That "thrusted back" sensation is very important, because thats how much you can accelerate safely without getting the tire too high in the air. So with that feeling in mind, here we go

RIGHT FOOT DOWN, LEFT FOOT ON PEG!!!! DO NOT PUT BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND! YOU WILL REDLINE FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN GET YOUR FOOT ON THE PEG! KEEP LEFT FOOT ON PEG!!!

Get a fairly agressive grip, get the rpms up to about 4000rpms and hold it there, when the light goes, slip the clutch quickly and agressively while giving it about 40 percent throttle once the clutch starts to grab. This should allow you to roll about 20 feet, then the tire squeaks up as ya let the clutch out completely.

After that, get on it hard, and shift hard so you dont miss shifts. try go get full throttle in second and third

Mike

I'm alittle hard on clutches. I launch at full throttle and slip the clutch. Also trying to keep the front tire about 2-3 inch in the air.

Me and my Buddy both launch at 1500 to 2000rpms ( both feet on the ground) Then get wide open as soon as possible, We don't slip the clutch! With this style we usally carry the front wheel through first gear about 2 to 3 inches off the ground, My best 60 ft is 1.64, and his is 1.61. Both bikes stock except front strap. We both weigh in at 208 to 210 unsuited. I rode 8000 miles last season and made 250 runs and my clutch looks like new and thats on a ZX12R. My buddy had about 35 runs and 1300 miles on his busa before we tore into it to do the clutch mod, and his clutches had no signs of wear.

Over 500 runs on mine with 4000rpm launches and the clutch was almost like new when I tore it down. Put it back together without replacing anything and continued to race.

This season, I'm going to launch it much harder knowing the abuse that the clutch can take without wimpering...

This is how I do, I get a feel for how much acceleration is takes to gently lift the front wheel. Not wheelie, but just enough to get the front wheel about an inch off the ground. That "thrusted back" sensation is very important, because thats how much you can accelerate safely without getting the tire too high in the air. So with that feeling in mind, here we go

RIGHT FOOT DOWN, LEFT FOOT ON PEG!!!! DO NOT PUT BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND! YOU WILL REDLINE FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN GET YOUR FOOT ON THE PEG! KEEP LEFT FOOT ON PEG!!!

Get a fairly agressive grip, get the rpms up to about 4000rpms and hold it there, when the light goes, slip the clutch quickly and agressively while giving it about 40 percent throttle once the clutch starts to grab. This should allow you to roll about 20 feet, then the tire squeaks up as ya let the clutch out completely.

After that, get on it hard, and shift hard so you dont miss shifts. try go get full throttle in second and third

Mike
Mike I used your technique this weekend...Once I got use to the feel I dropped two tenth's of a second on two run's...I think I'll stay with it...
muscle.gif

I saw a trick this weekend. A guy that will remain unnamed put 25lbs of lead in the front of the bike. This is a huge advantage in shorter wheel base classes. He was putting down low 1.500 60ft times. It was amazing where he had it stuck at.

Back