Launching (whats Your Style And 60')

NICKxNOBLE

Registered
I LAUNCH AT ABOUT 4500 AND SLIDE THE CLUTCH ABOUT 20' AND WOT ABOUT 20' WITH NO WHEELIES AND A LITTLE BOGGING AT ABOUT 15'. MY 60'S ARE USUALLY LOW 1.6 TO HIGH 1.5. I WEIGH 325 LBS AND MY BIKE IS STRETCHED 9'' AND SLAMMED ON THE GROUND. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT OTHER PEOPLE WITH SLIGHTLY LONGER BIKES ARE JUST THROWING AWAY THE CLUTCH AND GETTING LIKE 1.30 60'S. HOW DO YOU DO IT AND WHAT IS YOUR 60' AND HOW MANY INCHES ARE YOU STRETCHED. I WOULD LOVE MY 60 TO BE IN THE 1.40'S AND IF STRETCHING IS THE ONLY THING HOLDING ME BACK I WANT TO KNOW....AND YES I KNOW LOSE SOME WEIGHT, BUT LETS BE HONEST, PROBLABLY NOT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON.

What your gearing? Stock motor? Gen 1 or 2? What you trapping?

I have a stock motor gen 1 that I run low 1.4s with. Cut forks, 1 inch pan, sidewinder, 12 over arm but only set at 9 inches now, 8 up rear sprocket, revalved shock and weighs 470. I weigh 200 suited. Bike has been in the high 9.20s on 87 pump gas on a nasty muggy day. Traps 142.

NICE SETUP, I RUN THE 1/8 IN 6.10'S AND 20'S, IM 1 DOWN 3 UP, HOW DO YOU LAUNCH? I GOT A DESCENT FOGGER SYSTEM TO MAKE UP FOR MY WEIGHT IN 2ND AND 3RD

I would give it more gearing. You might need more rpm. But I launch around 4500 rpms and iam out of the clutch and wot by the time I hit the tree. That's the only way you can go fast. But since your heavy you need more gearing. It will make it easier for you to launch and get moving quicker

I try to hold the rpm's constant while opening the throttle and letting the clutch out as quickly as possible without a wheelie. Bike length, gearing, etc. make difference in how aggressive you can get.

Different pass

Same theory applies in a car, but the limiting factor is tire spin.

Last edited:
Nick, have you done any mods at all to the clutch? I recommend the carpenter ring mod, its cheap and helps feel on the lever. A longer bike and throwing the clutch away (most of those guys that are doing that with stock clutches are 1ks and launching at 9k with 15" stretch), isn't going to work for you. If you are at 1.4 60', you are good and doing it right. Don't change anything. I know guys with full sliders that are only throwing 1.3.

Kevin, I've got a buddy who can 60' a stock motor 69" Busa at 1.30 with a Brock's clutch mod and cushion. He almost throws the lever away at the line. There is definitely a skill to it. His 60' varies about .01 from pass to pass. I would feel good getting a 1.35 out of that bike.

I CURRENTLY HAVE A STOCK CLUTCH PACK WITH HEAVY SPRINGS. I THINK MY BEST 60 THIS YEAR HAS BEEN A 1.57. USUALLY LOW 1.60'S. I WOULD LOVE TO GET DOWN TO THE 1.40'S. I HAVE PLENTY OF SPOCKET SIZES AND WILLING TO GO LONGER ON THE ARM, WILLING TO BUY WHATEVER I NEED TO GET FASTER. WHAT IS THE BEST APPROACH. IT WOULD BE AWSOME TO JUST BE ABLE TO DUMP THE CLUTCH AND GO WOT.

Gearing is key. If your not geared right you will bog the motor. It take alot of track days an changes to get the bike were you want it.

Here at B$S racing short wheel base warrior's we launch at 6,000 and are wot by the tree, and long as are tire pressure is right 1.3,s have become a common occurrence for us now.

Dennis, my friend Chris can 1.17 a stock zx14 gen 1 clutch, +15 wheelbase full out grudge. He does probably 30 passes per weekend and has for about 10 years. I can understand that kind of seat time. I have another friend who can hit a .000 RT every weekend. I definitely have a shitty left hand. But, there is also something to be said about suspension setup to let you throw away the lever like that. I cannot do that at least on my lockup. I tried reducing static to reduce the bog, I tried higher rev launches, I tried everything (except the proper shock) and only managed to burn clutch packs, even with Kevin's guidance from MTC, I was fooling myself with the shock problem. This year I have a Penske set up for me and I wont have 6" of squat like my picture shows. Spin city.

IM GOING TO TRY MORE GEAR TO HELP GET THE RPM'S UP, AND A LONGER EVIL SWINGARM WITH AIR AND NITROUS. I WILL LET YOU'LL KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

Nick, keep in mind that a longer swingarm means you need either a revalved shock or some serious adjustment. You might not be able to hook up. Change one thing at a time or you chase your tail.

He weighs over 300 pounds. I don't think traction will be a problem. Change the gearing, go 10 inches over stock and get a shock set up for your set up and weight. That's the way to get you bike to 60 foot. Oh and many track days to get your left hand dialed in.

HOW MUCH GEAR DO YOU'LL THINK. RIGHT NOW ON THE NITROUS IM GOING TO 4TH JUST BEFORE CROSSING THE 1/8TH. ON THE MOTOR I CAN RUN THOUGH IN 3RD

It just takes practice. You will get there for sure. I can tell you that 1.5's with a stock wheel base bike is doable, myself doing it as well. When I had my bike about 9 inch back and geared deep it would go 1.34 best, upper 1.3's all day. That was being 210/215lbs out of the shower and stock motor, no special clutch, or anything, fully dressed bike, stock wheels, bla bla bla. You just need seat time. Keep at it and just have fun!

My technique is simple sit on the line about 3.500 to 4.000.their is no way of the bike creeping forward. As the lights come down go to almost 100 percent throttle , then there is 1 less thing to worry about thats the clutch, hand it seems to work for me , have run 2 1.4 sixtys. Mods are unopened 1299 , 2001 gen 1,lowered & strapped, -1 at front , quick shift, marvic rear wheel. 0 inches over , swb best to date 1.488 sixty , 5.930 1/8, 9.169 @ 151 mph , had a go on my mates gen 1 yesterday swb stk height ran 9.44 @156.50 mph thT one ain't stock lol new stk height record. Over here.

Dont know if its relevant my one goes through at the top of 4 th. -1 front & stock rear.hits limiter just after the line.

I'm at the top of 5th at 158 mph in the 1/4 on my gen2. I know if I bump the rev limiter (11,200) that it was a good pass.

Back